Low Attic

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Super07

Low Attic

Postby Super07 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Has anyone built a layout in a really low attic? Mine is 4 feet tall to the bottom of the central beam. Has anyone built a layout and dealt with such a small space?

heda

Re: Low Attic

Postby heda » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:20 am

My attic is about the same height with flooring along the middle. I wouldn't consider building a layout up there, it's enough hassle just getting things in and out of storage on my hands and knees.
Dave

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:29 am

Would agree with Heda. The layout would have to be on the floor or near to it, increasing the likelihood of dust, you'd find it a sod to work on and finally I expect it would get very claustrophobic and hot . Best left for storage. TBH I'm not a fan of attics unless they are well insutated, easy to move around in and are easily accessible. I'd be looking for some sort of nook or cranny you could use elsewhere. I'd have a look for this which gives ideas on locations for model railways, rather old now but still relevant:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0900586184/ ... nkCode=df0

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:50 am

Build or buy your self a shed if you haven't got any room else where,,,,,mjb

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:30 am

Buy a shed and run a garden railway. The shed keeps the electrical items like the controllers dry. Go and have some fun!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:11 am

I can just stand upright in the very centre of our loft. I always end up saying "it became a real pain in the neck". Go for shed, garage or even better somewhere indoors. I commandeered a large alcove in the semi-basement floor of our upside down house. I could fit in a continuous run but opted for a U shaped end to end with bookshelves underneath. If you can find a loft tall enough and well enough insulated, you still have to provide floor, roof lining, access, ventilation etc. It would always come low down on my list of possibilities.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:33 am

Assuming Bufferstop is about the same height as me then my attic is the same height as his, with the standard modern "W" from trusses. Although I would have liked it higher it hasn't been a big obstacle for me.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 am

Like Bufferstop, I can just stand upright in my loft. My son and I had a layout there for the best part of ten years and although it was 'fun' we were crawling on our knees most of the time. As time passed, time with the layout became less and less as the knees began to 'creak'.

Now, having a small bedroom to have a layout, I am there most days. The 'fun' is back. :D

Follow any of the suggestions (above). The low attic is a no-no.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

brober

Postby brober » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Like others before me I too have a roof space that I can just stand up in at the ridge line. The roof slopes away at two different rates either side. I have built a running deck about 800mm off the "floor" level on both sides and ends and I have hinged sections at each end for access. This has allowed me to work on layout that is approximately 5m x 3m with a central free space and I am building a layout to loop. There is room for four running loops and an area for sidings (no fiddle yard being planned). As you are normally bent down to work at any layout the different roof slopes are not problem. getting the lines to snake through the rafters (W- shaped trusses) is a challenge but not impossible. After a while you don't see the rafters!

Don't give up and have fun planning and building it all.

Bruce R

Super07

Postby Super07 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Ahh think the attics out then :( I have a small 6’ long shed. Maybe look at 00 in the garden or a small terminus stored under a bed :/

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:36 pm

A portable layout that is either assembled in sections or is in one piece that can stand up when not in use can be a suitable option.
Here are other options to take advantage of a limited space. One can adopt a smaller scale or decide to build a narrow gauge railway line. I have gone up to a larger scale and yet my layout is in a smaller space (0-16.5 otherwizeknown as 7mm narrow gauge). My layout is on two boards and when erected is 2ft x 7ft (Just under 7ft). In this size I have an oval of track with two passing loops and a siding.
A popular narrow gauge option is 009 which is the narrow gauge of 00. I used to have H0e which is the European equivalent as when I bought it there were no factory made models in 009. There are now. I did personally find I preferred the larger scale of 0-16.5 as it is easier to build things etc.
I give these options as decent space saving ideas.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”