Storing track and points/turnouts

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
BobDM

Storing track and points/turnouts

Postby BobDM » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 am

While I am waiting for the builders to finally depart so I can start my first layout I have been collecting bits and pieces such as locos. I also have a number of different pieces of track and points.

How do other people store and organise these bits of track safely? Some points have the plastic container they were bought in while others are loose. It doesn't seem a very good idea to just leave them in a box, all mixed up.

Once again any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Bob

mjb1961

Re: Storing track and points/turnouts

Postby mjb1961 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:34 am

Hi ,,,there is nothing wrong with a cardboard box but you could get one of those plastic containers with a lid which would be better ,,,,if it was me putting track into storage I would separate the different track peices and once they are all in piles I would keep them together with elastic bands / or sellotape,,,also if you wanted to be particular you could wrap them in bubble wrap,,,hope this gives you an answer,,,,,,mjb

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 am

Ensure the track pieces aren't under any pressure is the main thing. If there is a quantity of loose lengths of track then the cardboard roll used for carpets or similar is very effective storage.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am

I use a Peco flexitrack box for the full length bits, for everything else i have a 'Really useful box' designed for storing wrapping paper which is a decent length but a tad to short for full length flexitrack.

Its handy as it had a lid that clips on and stores a fair bit.

The only issue is the wife keeps trying to empty it to store wrapping paper in it :lol:

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 am

Yes, the policy appears to be 'All your storage box is mine', and part filled boxes are an invitation to 'rearrange'. When packing delicate stuff various for a house move I had to write prominently on the box lids messages on the lines of 'DELIBERATELY LEFT PART FILLED TO AVOID CRUSH DAMAGE TO THE CONTENTS'. This seemed to work, and has been continued as my standard policy to this day, whether true of the contents or not.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”