Pocketbond Classix

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
muggins

Pocketbond Classix

Post by muggins »

I've never actually seen one of these model vehicles but they're 1:76, they're dirt cheap and some of them are the right era for my layout, so I have to ask - are they really naff? Or are they actually OK if you don't look too closely and you're not too fussy if the price is right?
Bigglesof266

Re: Pocketbond Classix

Post by Bigglesof266 »

I have quite a few. They're 1:76. Generally they lie between quite good to very good in terms of replication accuracy for that scale. Simpler depiction of wheels, rims and axles excepted, many are cosmetically every bit as good aesthetically as Oxford. i.e.. Austin Dorset & Devon.

One thing to watch out for if it bothers you, is their interpretation of 50's & early 60's paint colours , which can be inconsistent. More so than Oxford today, they can be off the original manufacturer shades ranging from a near visual match to nothing like it where colours in bright shades never produced destroy suspension of disbelief for anyone with a living memory of those eras. Scale fidelity can also vary over the range depending opon the sculptor, much like mid 60's Airfix OO/HO gauge figurines did, but nowhere near as much as the Corgi range claiming OO or Base alleging 1:76 when they are a very generous 1:72 at the very least.

The better ones are definitely worth buying as props for your layout, a bargain when remainder priced. Unless scrutinised sitting in the palm of your hand, you wouldn't know they weren't Oxford.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I've got a few of them and have to say I really like them. The Austin A40 and Mk1 Consul & Zephyr are my favourites.
I don't think they've released any new models since the Triumph Herald/Vitesse , which must be nearly 5 years ago.

Ken
muggins

Post by muggins »

Thank you very much, gentlemen :)
SRman

Post by SRman »

As a generalisation, I prefer the Pocketbond cars over Oxford Diecast ones, as they mostly exhibit greater finesse, particularly where one can compare similar car models like the Morris Minors in both ranges. The Pocketbond ones used to be around twice the price of Oxfords but many are now reduced at major retailers.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Ken Shabby wrote:I've got a few of them and have to say I really like them. The Austin A40 and Mk1 Consul & Zephyr are my favourites.
EDITED From posting on another forum

"The Ford Zodiac is 1:74 scale, the A40 Devon 1:73 scale. The Consul should be shorter (5.25" in real life) as the engine was smaller - basically the Zodiac was longer at the front to accomodate the six (rather than four) cylinder engine. The Classix version just has a different front grille and bonnet so it isn't a proper scale model. Interestingly the Devon is close in size to the A70 Hampshire (about 1mm too short rather than just over 2mm too long for a true 4mm A40,"
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Does anyone know how to separate the bodies from the chassis on these vehicles. There don't seem to be any screws on my NCB electric vans, are they glued together or is there some kind of clip?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
GeoFF03

Post by GeoFF03 »

The bodies are riveted on so you would have to drill off the head. To refit you'll have to use glue or drill and tap the remainder of the rivet to take screws, as per some Matchbox restorations I've seen on YouTube.