Anither question

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Anither question

Post by luckymucklebackit »

burnie wrote: Interesting, thanks, I will also require a Type3 English Electric loco for the daily York to Bournemouth and return at some point, steam hauled by Western Halls for a while, but regular diesel from the early 1960's
Go for the Bachmann model of the Type 3 (later class 37), the Hornby one is very poor and although the Lima loco was much better dimensional it was a poor runner, there is the Vitrains version which was an updated and improved Lima but the Bachmann one stands out as the best all round.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
burnie

Post by burnie »

Thanks Jim
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

burnie wrote:
Peterm wrote: Sorry, but I had to laugh at the typo "Anither question." It reminded me of the English airman in 'Allo 'allo that thit he cod spik Fronch. :lol:
Done on purpose, my fishing buddies fae Fife talk like that, rather than Fronch its Finglish
Yes it hit me straight away as we've been watching series 5 on dvd from the local library. :)
Pete.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

luckymucklebackit wrote:...Go for the Bachmann model of the Type 3 (later class 37 ... the Bachmann one stands out as the best all round.
This aspect is part of the reason in my opinion why you are better going for the Heljan Hymek.

The Bach type 3 not only looks well because it is overall accurate, it seals the deal by performing. Bachmann's very competent 'Spectrum' mechanism has all wheel drive and pick up, and thanks to a 22oz/615g all up weight is good to pull the side out of a house. Reliable, quiet, smooth running from dead slow throughout the speed range, thanks to heavy flywheels in the drive line.

Heljan have a similarly very competent drive in their models, different in detail design but on the same principles. The same quiet and creamily smooth movement with excellent traction. (Their EE type 2 'Baby Deltic' BoBo are the traction champions on my layout, and I have read similarly good things for their Hymek model.)

Just my opinion, but these leave any motor bogie powered model for dead. Once experienced it is pretty addictive, and for myself the wish to have all the traction be of matching capability is a strong factor. Next challenge, make all the steamers get at least within spitting distance of that performance. (Happily both Bach and Hornby - as the majority suppliers of RTR OO steam models - do know how, and sometimes prove it in their products.)
burnie

Post by burnie »

Bigmet wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:...Go for the Bachmann model of the Type 3 (later class 37 ... the Bachmann one stands out as the best all round.
This aspect is part of the reason in my opinion why you are better going for the Heljan Hymek.

The Bach type 3 not only looks well because it is overall accurate, it seals the deal by performing. Bachmann's very competent 'Spectrum' mechanism has all wheel drive and pick up, and thanks to a 22oz/615g all up weight is good to pull the side out of a house. Reliable, quiet, smooth running from dead slow throughout the speed range, thanks to heavy flywheels in the drive line.

Heljan have a similarly very competent drive in their models, different in detail design but on the same principles. The same quiet and creamily smooth movement with excellent traction. (Their EE type 2 'Baby Deltic' BoBo are the traction champions on my layout, and I have read similarly good things for their Hymek model.)

Just my opinion, but these leave any motor bogie powered model for dead. Once experienced it is pretty addictive, and for myself the wish to have all the traction be of matching capability is a strong factor. Next challenge, make all the steamers get at least within spitting distance of that performance. (Happily both Bach and Hornby - as the majority suppliers of RTR OO steam models - do know how, and sometimes prove it in their products.)
Thank you for that information, we have the Perthexhibition at the end of the month, I hope I may get to see something running or even for sale to tempt me into the dark side of oil burners as apposed to coal burners lol.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If you get the chance to pick up a Bachmann or Heljan diesel, you will feel the weight of this style of drive immediately. (Similar product from Dapol and Hornby, but not universal over all their products over their many years of operation.)