Hornby get financial lifeline

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bigglesof266

Re: Hornby get financial lifeline

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:42 am

Mountain trust me when I say you should just buy a contemporary model flywheeled 08 and comparison run both side by side. Quite apart from its stunning looks and finer detail, you'd never ever want to run a Railroad 08 ever again. Good as a kids' toy with the controller knob set to flat out on set track roundy with no dead frog points, but that's it.

If you ever want to put a newcomer off getting into model railway, suggest they buy a Hornby digital train set including a Railroad 08. State of the art in its day, which is long gone. Unfortunately I think I'll die before its production will! :roll:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:05 pm

I have a Triang version, three (Now two as one is converted to 0-16.5) Lima versions (09's), have had a Hornby version from the 1980's and another with the compensated chassis (Both didnt have the frames in the right position), I have a Wrenn version, three Bachmann versions and one of the first Hornby 08's which had the frames in the right place which came out a couple of years after the Bachmann versions.
I kinda know the 08's and the 09's in model form in 00 gauge. I've also had a Graham Farish N gauge version years before the Bachmann takeover.
I've never had an 0 gauge version and I've not had a Hornby Dublo version or the lovely H0 version which was made by one of the European manufacturers (Was it Rivarossi?) I've also never had one of the modern N gauge GF versions.
Regarding the poor runners. The 1980's (1970's - 1980's with the X03 type motor) didn't run too well for the first decade (The same as the Triang versions) of use but when they start having some milage behind them they quieten down and run really well. I believe it is when the magnets started to weaken that they start to run well and when they do they run beautifully as long as the wheels are clean.
My modern Hornby super detailed version I've hardly used. At first, when I managed to take it out the box as this seemed a challenge in itself (!) it ran nicely but then it started screaming. I very carefully oiled the axle which works with other motors but no such lick. I opened up the "Sealed for life but not sealed for life" type motor and tried adding thin washers but still it screams. That was the last time I looked at it as I then had to pack the thing away due to a house move, and its not been run since.
The Bachmann versions I have seem to be the most successful. Never had an issue except two of mine were purchased when they first came out so have no DCC socket, and the other was purchased unboxed secondhand about a year later and this has no DCC socket either. I've not yet hard wired them.
The later Hornby versions with the old type bodies before they made the con rods in the right place modern versions did run well even though the motors were cheap puny things. The chassis compensation worked well. They just dont look right. I was told that the ones built a few years later then the one I had have had issues. Mine didnt and ran very well.
Out of all the 08/09's I've had, drive mechanism wize, I have to say without doubt that the best is my Wrenn version (I'm told the Hornby Dublo was the same). Brass gears and heavy well made chassis with nice wheels. They go on and on and on!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:26 pm

My favourite version I have is a Lima class 10 running on a wrenn chassis. My bachmann one just sits in a siding out of the way as its never run satisfactorily ever since I bought it. It's the first release and has the wipers on the top of the wheel treads. I believe the next batch had them on the wheel backs. I think this might be whats up with mine. I've heard that the Hornby super detail one is not a long lasting model, suffering from premature wear in its drive train. However I have no experience of them.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:36 am

My Hornby version has had about twenty or thirty laps of a trainset sized track so it has hardly been run in yet. II think I'm going to percervere and sort the little issue out and sell it on along with most of my 00 gauge collection.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”