Are Model Shows Worth Visiting?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Puffingbill

Re: Are Model Shows Worth Visiting?

Postby Puffingbill » Thu May 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Pennine MC wrote:
Notanyware wrote:I think Model Railway shows are an important part of this hobby, nothing in this world is perfect so if shows don't come up to modellers expectations just get over it and stay at home, I don't understand why Railway modellers have turned into a pack of moaners, crikey we are lucky enough to participate in the best hobby there is so why not quit the negative stuff and enjoy what we have that also Includes shows.

Have a nice day

Entirely fair comment Dave. As a fairly regular exhibitor myself, I wouldn't condone excesses of poor behaviour but it does often seem that we're on the receiving end of a lot of vague, apocryphal criticism, often fuelled by a poor understanding of how the show circuit actually functions and which are thus difficult to respond to. I do know though that the majority of visitors do so in a spirit of mutual goodwill, understanding and respect, and that's what motivates most of the folk I know

I agree 100% people put untold hours into building exhibition layouts then donate their time taking those layouts to various shows, why do they do it?, because they have a great love for the hobby and want to share it with others, I just think some folks expect to much and just love being knockers.

Puffingbill.
Cheers
B Bear.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Fri May 25, 2018 12:02 am

think it depends on your expectations, the cost, and what interests you. The one i go to is pretty small in solihull, west midlands (i tend to only realise its on when i drive past on the day its on). To be honest i mainly go for the sellers because you can pick up stuff much cheaper than on ebay. It's probably has 1 or 2 largish layouts and 3 or 4 small end to end lay-outs. I just find it interesting what other people are doing whether that's steam, diesel, different gauges, foreign etc... unlikely to be what i'm doing but interesting enough for me. If i had a bugbear about perfect scenery, strict timetables on all layouts and all the other rivet counter stuff then i probably wouldn't bother but for £6 quid or whatever it is, its worth going to. if i was paying 15 sobs for warley then i'd expect the best of the best, but then i wouldn't got to a show like that anyway.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:think it depends on your expectations, the cost, and what interests you. .... I just find it interesting what other people are doing whether that's steam, diesel, different gauges, foreign etc... unlikely to be what i'm doing but interesting enough for me. .

Another welcome breath of fresh air, thank you

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri May 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Oh no, a mention of fresh air!

It has to be said that some venues don't help, and may be a Hobson's choice because they are the best available in an area, even when the price isn't forcing a compromise. I have fair experience of show locations (for commercial exhibition purposes) where four or five hours exposure to poor air circulation / awful lighting / ambient noise and vibration, induce a torpid state. And the following day(s) the onset is even more rapid. I have been aware myself that the quality of my interaction with the visitors - potential clients - was often 'not so good' as a result.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Which is one reason I prefer one day shows...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm enjoying making my little layout. Working on the stock at the moment or I'd not have much to run on it! Is power supply an issue with exhibitions? I'm making mine so it may not need an external power supply just incase it may be an issue. That way, it could be set up almost anywhere.
Do exhibition organisers provide chairs?
Maybe a few years before my layout is up to exhibiting. I like the idea of sharing in some fun!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri May 25, 2018 2:43 pm

b308 wrote:Which is one reason I prefer one day shows...

As an exhibitor, especially an ageing one, I definitely preferred shows of two days (or more... rare!)
To split two lots of travel,erect and strike down over two days became a desirable thing.

Another factor? All my finished layouts were built deliberately with exhibition in mind, and not just in being portable.
Now I am more stuck at home, I'm reflecting on what I want as "a layout for me" and I'm coming up with rather different ideas, not least because my exhibition layouts, though hardly massive, would all have been too large or the wrong shape to fit in the small houses I've lived in.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b308

Postby b308 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Emettman wrote:
b308 wrote:Which is one reason I prefer one day shows...

As an exhibitor, especially an ageing one, I definitely preferred shows of two days (or more... rare!)
To split two lots of travel,erect and strike down over two days became a desirable thing.

I keep most of my shows within 2 hrs travelling time so easily done, any more and I want an overnight stay, such as one later this year down in Kent.. Also I can erect and dismantle my layouts in under 20 minutes, even the 4-board one. Any longer and I'd regard it as a design fault! That also keeps down "away" time. I find two day shows far too long.
Last edited by b308 on Fri May 25, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Further to my earlier comment, I received an email from Gaugemaster today announcing thier FREE bi-annual open weekend. Lot of layouts in all sorts of scales / gauges form Z upto O plus narrow gauge. 1st and 2nd September. http://www.gaugemaster.com/openweekend.html
Also they have a G scale day THIS SUNDAY 27th May.

I have enjoyed this open day twice before and they have such a vast range of stock in the shop that it's bewildering, albeit a bit clinical.
Some really great modelling ideas to be had here without the pressure of having to buy something even though your in the main shop and ancillary buildings. Once they even had a ride on train outside so bring your smaller modellers. :)

And, if there's no movement on one layout the place is small enough for you to easily move on and come back to it at some point during your visit.
And the same goes for chatting to the exhibitors. They always seem to have time to talk with you about any aspects that your interested in and the odd shared giggle from a unique cameo or two. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

b308

Postby b308 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:28 am

Dave wrote: kids grabbing you loco straight off the tracks...

Prodding the scenery to see what the water was made of... Oh, and that was an adult...

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 am

Dave wrote: kids grabbing you loco straight off the tracks...

I kept a 4ft inflatable hammer beside me for these and the "looking with their fingers" kids.
Remarkably effective in making the point not too forcefully (probably).

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Sat May 26, 2018 5:01 pm

b308 wrote:
Byegad wrote:What is not on offer, from most layouts, is well chosen, well run prototypical trains..

Really? The exhibition I was at on Sunday the majority had prototypical trains, even the SG N gauge one. That goes for most exhibitions I've attended this year.

It's worth bearing in mind that there were many different mixes of stock before the current "fixed formation" trains, so whilst you may not think it's prototypical the chances are it did run with that combination of stock...

I'm well aware of what was possible pre-fixed formations, my own layout is early BR. However too often you find a mix of stock from 3 or even 4 eras behind a loco. Fair enough for rule one, but not the best advert' for our hobby.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:21 am

Byegad wrote:but not the best advert' for our hobby.

Other than those who know the era I'd suggest that the vast majority of visitors wouldn't know the difference, or care about it, they'd just see a train on a model railway. I can't see it affecting the hobby at all.

Puffingbill

Postby Puffingbill » Sun May 27, 2018 8:47 am

I must b an easy going modeller as I wouldn't know if a layout is a copy of a real place or not to me they are all freelance, I myself have been building layouts sine the late 1960s and use the word "resemble" as a yardstick, if a layout looks British, American of whatever the aim has been achieved, I am sure not going to loose any sleep worrying about the order of my coaches as to me an engine is at the front and a brake van brings up the rear on my trains just like the old steam clunkers that used to crawl through Barnt Green.
To those that research a location and. try this replicate it I take my hat off to you as I don't have the patience, as for shows I go to get ideas, always enjoy what's on offer and maybe pick up a bargain.

Cheers
Puffingbill
Cheers
B Bear.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon May 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Mountain wrote: Is power supply an issue with exhibitions? I'm making mine so it may not need an external power supply just incase it may be an issue. That way, it could be set up almost anywhere.
Do exhibition organisers provide chairs?
!

Power supply should never be an issue, it's surely what most would regard a basic requirement. OK there's always the possibility of problems, but I wouldn't expect it as a norm. And chairs, yes, I've never been to one that didn't provide chairs of some sort and usually tables if required. Most are held in venues that have a ready supply of such things and I expect their use is part of the hire cost

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”