Soldering Station

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Soldering Station

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:10 pm

My soldering station has gone beserk, doesn't shut off when it reaches the set temperature, then bleeps like crazy when it's about 50 degrees over. Time for a new one methinks, anyone got a recommendation, mainly used for wiring and turned bit of metal to be joined, but the ability to turn it down for alloys and white metal is useful.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Re: Soldering Station

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Weller all day everyday.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm

If the iron lead has more than two wires, it is temp controlled by a sensor in the tip, you could test and then replace only the iron if it is faulty. I am with with above, weller are like rolls royce in style/technology/durability and PRICE! However, I have not heard bad things about most of the competition, the one I have seen recommended is a GOLD, as sold by Maplin, if you hurry, you might get a deal!
P.S. I used weller stations when I was a pro, I have the mains ones at home and still going 20 years after I got them (50W 230v and 50W 110V and a 45W 24vdc I use everyday), and all parts still replaceable :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:49 pm

I had the same thing happen with my Goot brand iron. The heater/sensor was the cause, so I replaced it and also bought a new multi meter with temp sensor to calibrate the new part. Much cheaper than a new soldering station.
Pete.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 pm

It's reading the temperature ok, it's just not regulating, Goes on getting hotter even after it starts beeping at 50 degrees above the set temperature, so I think it's the switching rather than the sensing or heating that's the problem.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:01 am

i opted for 60W Mains LCD Solder Station from Maplin the reasons: price & availability of spare parts

the good news is its on offer at 30% off so is now £45.49, the bad news it looks like Maplin are shutting down and the 30% off is due to its closing down sale - there foes the availability of spares :twisted:

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:32 am

alex3410 wrote:i opted for 60W Mains LCD Solder Station from Maplin the reasons: price & availability of spare parts

the good news is its on offer at 30% off so is now £45.49, the bad news it looks like Maplin are shutting down and the 30% off is due to its closing down sale - there foes the availability of spares :twisted:

Looks like the spares for it have sold out so no chance of stocking up - just in case :evil:

Richard

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Sun May 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Enter Hakko tips in the Ebay search bar,these fit the Maplin soldering iron.

Ray.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun May 27, 2018 4:20 pm

I have the slightly older Maplin soldering station. I managed to get spare tips at half them all in price before they closed. Glad I did as the tip that comes as standard comes to a point, where I wanted a flatter tip for the possibility of soldering tinplate.
The tips for mine are just ordinary metal tips. Not cheap even with 50% off.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”