Goods shed operation

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

Goods shed operation

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:08 am

Would a steam or diesel locomotive have travelled through a goods shed or would the waggons be shunted with the loco remaining outside the shed, please?

Richard Lee

Re: Goods shed operation

Postby Richard Lee » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:49 am

This is a mistake that I made on my larger layout...

Steam locomotives were not supposed to go through goods sheds, I understand. Goods sheds (like other buildings of the period) would have a lot of timber used for the roof (underneath the slates or tiles visible from outside). Steam locos tend to emit sparks from time to time, as well as steam and smoke. Steam engines were supposed to stay outside.

I don't know about the diesel period, but I suspect that diesel locomotives emit noise and exhaust fumes.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:25 am

Many thanks, my feelings but I thought that I should ask.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:45 am

Cast iron notices limiting the approach of locomotives to goods sheds were common, 'No engine to go beyond this sign' style.

However there are plenty of footplate crew accounts of taking steam locos through goods sheds when no one important was looking. Provided they shut off steam and coasted through this was unlikely to cause a problem. In the very common arrangement of the shed placed on a through road within the yard this could be a significant short cut to getting the necessary wagons moved and positioned, and back to a bothy or similar for a sit down and a smoke, brew, read of the papers, card school, whatever. None of the workforce in a goods yard wanted any job to take longer than necessary so if the barred move got the wagon(s) placed in the shed that bit sooner, where's the harm?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:22 am

Many thanks. OK unless the fat controller is in the yard.

HarryR

Postby HarryR » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:18 pm

'No engine to go beyond this sign style'

Reminds me of the documentary on the BBC archive "Engines must not enter the potato siding" whether relevant to the initial post or not, you may find the the recollections of "old hands" in this 1969 broadcast interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p012d0t5/tuesday-documentary-engines-must-not-enter-the-potato-siding

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:39 am

Can't watch it in Australia... digital rights. :(
Pete.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:49 am

Peterm wrote:Can't watch it in Australia... digital rights. :(

Found it on youtube :D Bit dark though.
Pete.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:58 am

Link to video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-IUHWvqtk

Good historical video for the line. Lots of electrical traction. From 40 minutes onwards very interesting.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:40 am

GWR_fan wrote:Would a steam or diesel locomotive have travelled through a goods shed or would the waggons be shunted with the loco remaining outside the shed, please?

Put it this way. A locomotive passing through the goods shed would soon have the goods shed manager running out the doors! Locos in goods sheds were generally frowned upon. One of the reasons I was told was that (Apart from the fumes could contaminate any goods) they could get sandwiched in and eat up valuable loading/unloading space which was often saught after with all the various traders waiting their turn to offload or load their goods. The track layout designs were such that there was always a way to run round with the loco and also remove a brake van so that both these wouldn't need to pass through the goods shed.
I remember in the later half of the 1980's watching workings at Llanelli goods shed. I was in my early to mid teens and as it was summer holidays, and my mum was working doing door to door interviewing at the time, she would need to find a place for me to keep me occupied. A play park or similar. However, for me it had to be some bridge or a place like that where I could watch the trains. I would be quite content for hours waiting to see the next train pass! I took a photo with my 110 camera of two class 08's and a passing class 37 when near the goods shed. I remember that brake vans would be in the sidings at the other end to where the shed was, along with what I assume were the empty vans in the siding or maybe full waiting their turn? It was an interesting scene to watch as the 08's were always in operation shunting back and fore. The Goods shed still remains at Llanelli (The town used to be called Llanelly) though the remains are only half of its size as it had an extension, and the people who list things for preservation didnt seem to be interested in later extensions? Only the origional as built goods shed part remains, which in itself is larger then many. I'm guessing the good shed was extended with some of the old lines which used to go right almost into the town centre were closed in the very early 1900's. They would have then needed to have a much larger goods shed to cope with the demands of everyday goods. I'm guessing the lines which doubled up to serve the tramway were less used for trains of goods when motor cars took over so taking trains up busy town streets became an issue?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Many thanks

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Quite a few depots would have had a winch installed at the bufferstops so that wagons could be moved without a loco being present, and don't forget that in the age of steam, there would always be at least a couple of Clydesdale or Shire horses around the depot that could pull the wagons around.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Failing all else a few spare wagons could be borrowed from the coal sidings to push or pull the required wagon from the far end. Same tactics that were supposed to be used to get wagons up the ramp to the top of a coaling stage.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 am

Never say never. At larger depots (and on universally on some companies' lines) engines were not permitted in sheds. On other lines they were, and in some yards the yard could not be shunted without locomotives going through the shed.

Three from the Scottish Region:

At Millisle the goods shed was also the locomotive shed.
At Wigtown one of the longer sidings could only be reached through the shed, which was at the throat end of the yard. Prior to 1885 the goods shed also doubled as a fitting shop for loco repairs (although I would hesitate to use the Wigtownshire Railway as an example of how things were done elsewhere).
At Creetown the loading dock and derrick could only be accessed by shunting through the goods shed. No reach wagons were provided and there were no horses other than those belonging to customers collecting goods.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 am

Many thanks gentlemen.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”