Few newbie questions

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
DazzyBee

Few newbie questions

Postby DazzyBee » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi, I have just started fostering an autistic 7 year old who is obsessed with trains and I know nothing about it all.

He has all the basics in 00 gauge, he has previously been bought two kits, highland freight hauler and one other, he therefore has basic oval and track pack A, I think he has a couple of points and two controllers, I want to build him a decent layout on a board for his birthday.

I am thinking 6 x 4ft or would it need to be 8 x 4, and as it can’t be left up all the time I intend to hang it on a wall via hooks so has to be light enough for me or the missus to lift down and place on top of dining table when it’s to be used.

Questions.
> What’s the minimum thickness of board I.e 6mm or 9mm plywood? Or MDF
> Do I pin or glue track down.
> I’m thinking R8011 layout, will that fit on 6x4?
> is there a list of all the stuff I need? It looks like I need extension pack D, how much of each type of track do I need

Any and all advice would be great.

Thanks

Dazzybee

Flashbang

Re: Few newbie questions

Postby Flashbang » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi
I personally would start with the Hornby Track Mat R8217 layout. It has a double loop of track with sidings and needs two DC controllers.
This is a link to the mat... http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/Model%20Railway/track-mats.htm It requires a baseboard of 1800mm x 1200mm. Or go for the smaller MIDIM mat which has less track and only needs a 1600 x 1150mm board.

As for the baseboard, I would use 9mm thick plywood top supported on a framework underneath of 44 x 20mm (former 2" x 1" inch) or 44 x 19mm (former 2" x 3/4" inch) PSE timber. PSE = Planed Square Edge. PVA glue the bracing timber to the ply underside and pin from above down into the timber framing and make an internal grid of the same timber on roughly a 500mm square grid. Consider pre drilling some 15mm dia holes in each of the internal cross timbers before fixing to allow any wiring to pass around underneath the layout, its easier to pre drill them than try to do it once timbers a re fitted!

Lightly pin track to ply using special track pins sold for Hornby track. Hornby R207 or use the Gaugemaster GM66 pins.http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/Model%20Railway/track-accessories.htm

Where two DC controllers are to be used, fit two Insulated Rail Joiners (Nylon Fishplates) in place of the metal joiners in the cross-over direction on all points that form a cross-over loop to loop. Item R920 or Peco SL-11 Both fit Hornby track. This will then isolate outer loop from inner loop. On both track mat layouts two IRJs are needed for the one cross-over set of points.

A lot of information re layout building can be gained on these pages here if its of help?.. http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi Dazzybee
If as you you and the missus will hang it on the wall can I suggest a couple of large rings screwed into the end it will hang from and a pair of handles, possible the kind that lay flat when out of use, on either side so that once you have it lifted it's as easy as possible to get it hooked onto the wall. Although it's probably as small as will meet your needs, and the materials Flashbang has suggested are about as light as you can make it, it's still going to be a heavy object and anything you can do too make handling it easier is well worth doing.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Postby 4472 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 pm

I would also add some felt to the underside to avoid scratching the wall or the table !!
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Postby 4472 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:41 pm

2nd idea. Can you just rest it against the wall when not in use rather than hang it
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:53 pm

I hope you have every success in your venture. I'm sure he's going to be thrilled!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Here is a suggestion http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/base_board.htm add a couple of support legs and you lose the dependency on the kitchen table too.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Notanyware

Postby Notanyware » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 pm

Yes its probably better to lean it against the wall that way you dont have to lift it, I dont like the idea of hanging it which sounds a bit dangerous, I also like the Hornby track mat idea as mentioned earlier, as for buildings stations etc I would go with the various Hornby track mat accessories when glued down the can withstand movement, as for construction plywood is lighter than MDF so I would use ply over a 2x1 pine frame, all the best with your project I am sure your lad is going to love it.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:07 pm

DazzyBee wrote:Hi, I have just started fostering an autistic 7 year old who is obsessed with trains and I know nothing about it all.
Dazzybee

Hello Dazzybee.

We with autism vary a lot, so the best way to go with a small-ish model railway is something of an open question.

6x4 is a quite common default size, though even that is quite a lot to shift on a regular basis.
It's a bit betwixt an between, because it's not big enough to put a real express train together on it, yet if using small engines and trains an effective layout can be built in a smaller space.

Do we know if the main interest will be in watching trains going round and round? in which case a double track oval is pretty much essential,
or will it be in operating the trains and shunting? In which case the space taken up by a second oval could well be better spent on sidings/passing loops.

In the same space as a track mat I am certain I can come up with a more operationally interesting layout.

Some, just some, of us have difficulty with fine motor control:
if that is an issue I know of a way or two to help with that for running trains.
(some of my solutions are rather "out of the box", but then I do have Asperger's. "What box?")

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Pierluk

Postby Pierluk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:05 am

Very interesting project. I like these "trakmat" layouts. Could you give us a few news about it ? Thanks.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:43 am

Also, if you can, pin the track because it is easier to remove should you want to change the track plan. Is a good plan not to hammer the pins in to hard for this reason (And you could damage the sleepers).

Pierluk

Postby Pierluk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 am

Last edited by Pierluk on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 am

Mountain wrote: Is a good plan not to hammer the pins in to hard for this reason (And you could damage the sleepers).

It's a good plan not to use a hammer on your track at all. Pilot drill your holes then push in the pins with one of
these, many other makes are available.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:56 am

Just an idea.
What about fixing multiple (4-6) castors in a row, horizontally to one end. That way when you stand it up on it's end you can freely move it about on the castors.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Pierluk

Postby Pierluk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Bufferstop wrote:It's a good plan not to use a hammer on your track at all. Pilot drill your holes then push in the pins with one of
these, many other makes are available.

Good idea. Just found it: http://www.hattons.co.uk/44557/Expo_Dri ... etail.aspx

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”