Boxes - keep or throw away?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Dad-1

Re: Boxes - keep or throw away?

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:06 pm

I work on a half & half basis.

All locomotives are kept in their box with any additional information needed for
them, like service sheet and decoder information.

A few coaches stay in their boxes (at the moment) but it's a right drag putting
away after an exhibition.

Wagons have their boxes thrown away - If you want a spare Oxfordrail Toad box
shout now before I clear out the garage bin. My wagons are stored in Bachmann
Collector Club boxes, depending on length either 10, or 15 to a tray with two trays
in a box. This allows for rapid placement onto track of a long freight plus a speedy
put away. I take anything up to 150 wagons to an exhibition, imagine how long that
would take putting away into their correct boxes, let alone keeping so many small
boxes tidy under a layout !!
Resale value - I don't care, when the time comes I won't be around to worry about it !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:47 pm

As someone who is more of a collector than user of my lovely trains at the moment I like all my stock to be boxed. In fact I bought a box last week for a Bachy 57 and some Mk1 coach boxes a couple of weeks ago. Money well spent to keep them in good condition. Need a couple of boxes for some Bachmann JGAs if anyone has some...

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Dad-1 wrote:A few coaches stay in their boxes (at the moment) but it's a right drag putting away after an exhibition.

Geoff, just a comment about that, from someone who's been exhibiting for an awful long time... I'd suggest that it is better to make or buy stock boxes where you can safely store locos and stock and transport them safely. The way stock is "boxed" these days by the manufacturer I reckon you will do far less damage when removing them from a specially designed stock box than the box they came from the manufacturer! All my stock is taken to exhibition in specially lined aluminium camera boxes.

(I may be preaching to the converted, but if not...)

centenary

Postby centenary » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 am

Eastern wrote:I am sure many of us have kept the boxes locomotives, carriages and wagons have come in - I have a mountain of them and am deciding whether to keep them or throw the lot. When not in use, I store locos etc in larger boxes separated by foam sheets or tissue paper. I only really used the boxes last when I totally rebuilt the layout. One of the reasons to keep them is the value as a boxed item they could bring when selling which is something I probably won't do. Do you open up a new locomotive and ditch the box?

When you come to sell up \ sell a model, you'll get a lot more if the box and inserts are present and mint. I have collected a lot of dinky and corgi toys from when I was younger. I chucked many boxes away. Big mistake! Fortunately when I decided to stop playing with them and collect them instead, I retained the boxes.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”