hogwarts castle class loco

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
colne4

hogwarts castle class loco

Postby colne4 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello
i have a prisoner of ezcaban train set had it about ten years only run it about 4 times got it out to run for my grandson it started smoking then it run round not fast as it used to be for fifteen minutes reverse as well then nothing tried my little tank engine that was fine never taken apart would not know what to look for can any body help! Ry

Bufferstop

Re: hogwarts castle class loco

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:48 pm

It sounds perfectly fixable but if you are starting from zero it would be a steep learning curve to tackle it yourself. Any diagnosis is going to require taking a look at the motor and in all likelihood checking that it rolls freely with the motor removed. If there's a model shop in your vicinity that offers repairs you could try them otherwise contact Hornby's service department. Alternatively seek out the assistance of your nearest Model Railway Club. You will find Clubs and Dealers offering repairs, and much other useful information listed on http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

forest446

Postby forest446 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Very much same as above.
It sounds like the motor has or is about to give up. I had it on a Bachman split chassis not a chance I was trying that.
Took it along to my local club an they swopped it out An showed me how to do it.
Or a local shop to you may do repairs.
If none local contact Hornby.
Sure they have a repair department like bachmann
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 pm

The armature on these accumulates a lot of carbon from the brushes causing performance as you state. I have repaired quite a few however, the armature cleaning is not a long term fix. It will give better performance for a while but eventually the armature will build up the carbon layer. Perhaps after cleaning replace the brushes with current release parts.

I have also noted poor performance after long term storage. While relatively easy (if not fiddly) to repair, as others have stated, if not confident then perhaps a job for some one more experienced. One problem I did have is with a power pickup. The design uses a "live" chassis pickup for one rail and a separate wire soldered to wheel pickups on the other rail. Where this wire passes through the chassis block I had the wire chafed causing a short circuit.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”