Another TV show?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
luckymucklebackit

Another TV show?

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Another TV company cashing in on our wonderful hobby, wonder what sort of a job they will make of this one.

post-20303-0-76774800-1518547507_thumb.jpg

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Re: Another TV show?

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I think it will be a good thing, both to watch, for those who take part, and for the model railway industry as a whole. It looks fun!
(Not sure if I could take part as most of my modelling is daydreaming!)
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:59 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Another TV company cashing in on our wonderful hobby, wonder what sort of a job they will make of this one.

Oh stop being such a grumpy g*t, Sick Drawbridge's show wasn't all that bad! ;) We've done quite well for railway programmes recently, and only trainspotting live required viewing from behind the sofa. This looks quite interesting, I shall look forward to it. A tiny part of me wonders whether to investigate further, but I already know I'll be too busy probably. :/
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:17 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:Another TV company cashing in on our wonderful hobby, wonder what sort of a job they will make of this one.

Oh stop being such a grumpy g*t, Sick Drawbridge's show wasn't all that bad! ;) We've done quite well for railway programmes recently, and only trainspotting live required viewing from behind the sofa. This looks quite interesting, I shall look forward to it. A tiny part of me wonders whether to investigate further, but I already know I'll be too busy probably. :/

Did I say anything bad about it :roll: , OK I did originally type "wonder what sort of a mess they will make of this one" but decided to be diplomatic. The usual suspects on RMweb are already pouring scorn on the potential formats :D

I would enter but I am so slow I would never complete anything in time

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:Did I say anything bad about it :roll:

Sorry, maybe I was reading something that wasn't there!

luckymucklebackit wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:OK I did originally type "wonder what sort of a mess they will make of this one"

I was right, it wasn't there! :D I wonder if it's like "water memory" but with forum posts...
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 am

Perhaps we should all email them to point out that "modellers" has 2 "l"'s - not just 1.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Perhaps we should all email them to point out that "modellers" has 2 "l"'s - not just 1.

Must be an american thing, I have the US spellchecker and it gives me the squiggly red line under modellers

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 am

Seems I might fit the bill, 'last line of text' ...... 'an old rounder' :lol:

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 am

railwayjim wrote:Seems I might fit the bill, 'last line of text' ...... 'an old rounder' :lol:

Jim.

OK I formally nominate you as the NRM representation - seconder please! :D

Jim

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:24 am

...the nation's most talented railway modelers (sic) ...

Sounds promising.

... we're looking for teams ...

Oh. So the most 'talented' of the ones who volunteered, not quite the same thing. And no doubt 'talented' means 'makes good telly' which is definitely not the same thing. From the same team who brought you "Celebs in Therapy" and "Jodie Marsh on the Game".

None of these ideas have the sheer class of Princess Productions' 2011 idea to reunite serving sqauddies with their families by flying the wife and kids out to Helmand. This link is absolutely not work safe - https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Princess_Productions
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:
railwayjim wrote:Seems I might fit the bill, 'last line of text' ...... 'an old rounder' :lol:

Jim.

OK I formally nominate you as the NRM representation - seconder please! :D

Jim

Errr, back peddling as fast as possible, too busy, no time, not good enough,
grand children, wife, work, I withdraw :lol:

Think you're right Jim about American, specialize with a 'z' instead of 's'.

Jim.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 am

I followed the link
"decided that it would be a rather jolly idea to fly Soldiers' wives and newborn children out to a combat zone in order to surprise them."
I'd be surprised if I woke up in a war zone with my newborn. :o
Or do they mean surprise the enemy? :? :lol:

The actual programme sounds like an interesting idea. I watched all of the Strawbridge ones, albeit in the sense of farce it came across as.
For me it failed as soon as the train went in the drink in the first lock but was still quite entertaining even if it was just to laugh and swear at the screen. :lol:
I actually bought the February edition of Model Rail (cheap and once read off ebay) which has a one page article from one of the volunteers but I am yet to read it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 am

Something else I'll put on "Series Record", watch the first episode of then forget all about it until the recorder starts complaining that it will have to start deleting before it can record any more.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:23 am

Another way i can be put to shame for my slow / non existent progress on the layout lately :lol:

It sounds an interesting idea so will be cool to see what they do with it

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am

Sounds like another variation of scrapheap challenge to me - ie 2 teams build a functioning model solving a problem over 2 days, stick a few trees on at the end and call it a diorama. Lots of focus on the larger than life "characters" interacting and arguing over the "hilarious" mistakes they make. Great if you like that sort of thing but what they're making is rather irrelevant to the show and could just as well be making cakes, decorating a house or landscaping gardens. Probably good tv but not for me i'm guessing.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”