cork underlay

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
crazypotter

cork underlay

Postby crazypotter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi everyone. Just in the process of putting together my track layout. Have been watching some vids on you tube about ballasting. A lot of modellers seem to elevate the track on cork strips. Are there any particular advantages to this process apart from elevating the track a little?. Thanks.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: cork underlay

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 pm

People claim it deadens noise. It probably does but is then quickly negated by gluing ballast down. The other advantage is raising the track to give a larger ballast shoulder, probably more appropriate for more modern layouts. Hope that helps.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:19 pm

It depends a lot on your baseboard, i find that it is useful if you are using chipboard, but not really required with plywood,

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

The only place I've ever used it is on Markway, or C&L fine scale track where
the sleepers are so thin you need the track bed raising slightly for any ballast
shoulder.
Generally I put my track straight down onto varnished ply, or in one case chipboard.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

crazypotter

Postby crazypotter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll give the cork a miss and save time and money. Just a question to Dad-1, do you find any advantage varnishing the ply rather than say a grey primer?.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:54 am

Hi crazypotter,

Never used a grey primer, but as a sealing agent I suppose it'll do just as well.
Sealing is why I do it, usually all over, top, bottom, sides so the moisture content
of any timber is controlled (some hope !).
When you ballast it involves adding moisture onto your surface, you need to fine
mist spray to wet the ballast before adding your PVA/water mix, this adds up to
a fair amount of water - not best where you want to keep as flat a surface as possible.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi crazypotter
Read this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=49151 for some insight

I don't think there is a definitive answer, there are other factors such as insulation board thickness and amount of cross bracing and total surface area of boards all have an effect. 8X4 sheet worst, 4x2 better, just wider then track best.

Many have done tests, and 'no' insulation always comes out loudest, cork second and plastic foam is the quietest. That is then subjective to the area of the baseboard and it's thickness.

The critical point is not to "connect" the track to the board! So don't spend a fortune on insulation and a mass of time laying then using PVA glue in the ballast, that then hard couples the track to the board, at the edges! Prefered method is to use latex (Copydex) as the glue and not to let it seep down to the the board via the ballast.

Then there are those that want thundering noise!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”