Building model railway books.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
InFullSteam

Building model railway books.

Postby InFullSteam » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:44 am

Hi guys, since I have time to prepare for my future layout, I think I should spend some of it reading on what to do/how to do it.

What are good books on how to build a model railway start with the basics of designing the layout, ballasting, wiring, scenery, etc? For me, I like having something tangible to read.

It doesn't have to be one book, I see Hornby has a book for scenic modelling? The Amazon review suggests it's good.

6C

Re: Building model railway books.

Postby 6C » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:47 am

Peco 'How to' leaflets are good for the basics you require - and can be bought cheaply too on amazon etc.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

6C

Postby 6C » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 am

Peco 'How to' leaflets are good for the basics you require - and can be bought cheaply too on amazon etc.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 am

Because I like Iain Rice' writing style and his modelling I would strongly recommend his recent titles published by Haynes. 'Railway modelling the realistic way', and 'Layout design'. These are books I feel one will still read and enjoy years from now. Well illustrated and the distillation of a lot of experience of fine modelling in 4mm.

Online, a really good resource for the 'nuts and bolts' aspects: http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:02 pm

To be honest InFullSteam I've got loads of books for modelling and nothing comes close to the advice on this forum!
Ask what you want. Be specific as much as you can and you'll get direct answers to your questions and perhaps alternative ideas too. :D
Also a book won't give you the motivation that you get here, or so I have found.

One of the MAJOR pieces of advice I can share right now is DON'T USE SUNDELA BOARD!
This is nonsense that has seemed to have seeped into our hobby and spread like a virus. :?

Also, as Bigmet says, for electronics use Brian Lamberts site .... one of our own forum members! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Some of the books from my library

The Model Railway Design Manual: How to Plan and Build a Successful Layout by C.J. Freezer, a lot of people tend to think C.J. as unfashionable but he was my guru when I was growing up, had a huge influence in my layouts.

Railway Modelling by Norman Simmons, a real encyclopedia of knowledge about the hobby.

Now this one you might find strange - but Marks and Spencer brought out a book on model railways years ago, "Encyclopedia of Model Railways" I was bought a copy by a well meaning relative and I initially thought that it was one of those coffee table books with little or no substance - turned out to be a very good guide indeed. There is one on ebay just now for £2.80 with free postage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Encyclopaedia-of-Model-Railways-Hardback-Book-The-Cheap-Fast-Free-Post/142127258056?epid=88851091&hash=item211771d9c8:g:DX0AAOSwdd9aVDS5- recommend that one.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

HarryR

Postby HarryR » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:03 pm

I have found charity shops to be a good source of cheap railway books, & have over the last few years bought reasonable copies of works by Cyril Freezer, Dave Lowery & Norman Simmons. All of which I've found worth reading, but at a couple of £s per copy that's not such a high bar.

In my opinion one can read as many books / forum posts as we like but in the end the real learning comes from doing & too often from making mistakes.

In the end what will be 'right' for you, will be what fits your personal needs & circumstances, so for example if you only want something temporary, you might not need all the robustness & its expense that a layout with say a 20yr envisaged lifespan would require.

Good luck with your projects.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Although you infer you prefer books (I'm a paper man too) I did find DVD's more useful than books, as seeing what the presenter is describing avoids any possible misinterpretations of the written word and puts matters into better perspective.

There was a wonderful series from Activity Media (now out of production) covering all elements of modelling. If they appeal to you they might be available on eBay etc..

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 pm

One vary good valueable source of information is to buy a collection of model railway magazines. You can get a collection cheap or sometimes even free, and the information in them can be massive.
I wouldn't just confine your research to model railway books, as railway books of the real railways can also give various information of what was commonly pulled behind different locomotives and how prototype track plans were layed in the way that they were etc. Lots of information from many sources. Even old timetables can give snippets of information!

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:29 pm

I'll second the M&S and Freezer books for someone who is just starting out, the Rice books may be a little heavy for a beginner, though!

The problem with books is that they are out of date as soon as they are published, building techniques, especially for baseboards and scenery changes so often that books can't keep up with developments... they are good for reference, but you also need to check the Forums around to see what's new...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:37 pm

One of the best books for beginners of all ages, though slightly out of date, is the Wizzkids Guide To Model Railways. I gave mine to a friend in Ireland. It is a Cyril Freezer book. It was written with the concept of "Budget" so youngsters who didnt have much funds could enjoy the hobby, but many of the concepts and ideas are just as relevant today as they were back in the days when the book was written.
Some criticised Mr Freezer for not having a layout of his own, but to be honest, with all those books he wrote over the years I can understand why!

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Interesting point about his layouts, or lack of them... Is that just one of those urban myths perhaps? The "Manual" includes shots of his very comprehensive workshop and I would be surprised if there wasn't a layout somewhere to run the stuff he built. I know none featured in RM but that would figure as I don't remember any of the other Editors of that era featuring their own layouts. There are, however, photos of his son's layouts... Perhaps he just help them build!

InFullSteam

Postby InFullSteam » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:55 pm

End2end wrote:To be honest InFullSteam I've got loads of books for modelling and nothing comes close to the advice on this forum!
Ask what you want. Be specific as much as you can and you'll get direct answers to your questions and perhaps alternative ideas too. :D
Also a book won't give you the motivation that you get here, or so I have found.

One of the MAJOR pieces of advice I can share right now is DON'T USE SUNDELA BOARD!
This is nonsense that has seemed to have seeped into our hobby and spread like a virus. :?

Also, as Bigmet says, for electronics use Brian Lamberts site .... one of our own forum members! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end

As long as people don't mind the questions. I know there are some people who say 'figure it out for yourself.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:25 pm

InFullSteam wrote:As long as people don't mind the questions. I know there are some people who say 'figure it out for yourself.

Not here they don't. :D
I wouldn't have got a lot of what I've accomplished done without this place.
Books, youtube, definatly charity shops, dvd's. All good sources for general information.
But direct "I need / want / am trying to do this" questions for your personal layout you'll find this place a goldmine of experienced members all too willing to help.

NRM for president!!...oh hold on...no politics on this site please! :oops: :D
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:26 pm

InFullSteam wrote:As long as people don't mind the questions. I know there are some people who say 'figure it out for yourself.

That is the whole point of this forum, we are here to answer questions, no rivet counters here, just nice folks who love helping others.
Have a look at my website in the guide section, a few pages to help galvanise your aims and look at links to direct you to suppliers ranges, track plans, share them on here and others will guide you, lots of how to's on YouTube for the practical elements, anything your not sure about, just ask here!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”