street lamp placing

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.

street lamp placing

Postby 4472 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Going to install some street lamps on the layout. Is there a scale distance to follow or should I just go by eye
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

luckymucklebackit

Re: street lamp placing

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 pm

According to the Highway Code, it is generally recognised that a ‘system’ of street lighting could be three or more lamps spaced not more than 183 metres (600 ft) apart. So on a 00 layout it will be 2.4 metres, but that would not scale very well especially on a small layout, So use the "not more than" to decide yourself what looks right.

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Wherever you put them try to get them so that they don't cast "shadows on the sky" it really shouts "backscene"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

allan

Postby allan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 am

Go outside and have a look at just how much light sreetlamps throw - it's not very much! Model streetlamps that you can read by screem "trainset". A gentle glow is enough...

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am

I made my street lights the same as the idea on "web site articles" on here, posted a couple of years ago, Pop rivets, brass tube, plastic spoon handles and grain of wheat bulbs, but they were placed so they looked right in front of a row of houses and shops. I am happy with them so that is all that matters, it's your railway build it how you want it.
Tim
aka Forfarian

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:08 am

Hi 4472,

I believe they are spaced based on the speed limit. So, thirty yards for a thirty limit and forty for a forty.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:36 pm

If there are street lamps no more than 200 yards (minor variation allowed) appart a road is deemed to be restricted to 30mph unless there are signs stating otherwise. The lights don't have to be lit for the rule to apply, but they do have to be mostly visible. One speed camera partnership lost on appeal as the lights were mounted on wooden electricity poles, which were largely hidden in a hedge and the lights had switched off at midnight. There's no requirement for the lights to be spaced according to the speed limit or size of road, here might be recommendations but it's down to the local authority how well lit a road may be.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Everyone is quoting rules 'n' regulations, but essentially they are both a modern invention and to set a maximum distance.
In reality, the spacing is determined by two factors, how much light each lamp gives out (bulb light output/height/spread angle) and the desired lux on the floor. They were first fitted as gas lamps (very poor light output) so were very close and later converted to electric (so spacing did not change). Later electric bulbs were not much better and even when sodium and mercury came out that light output went up and height and therefore, distances between new lamposts could be increased. An example is my road that still has cast iron fancy posts that are about 8-10 houses apart.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”