Baseboard design help u shape or well freestanding or fixed?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
AndyH007

Baseboard design help u shape or well freestanding or fixed?

Postby AndyH007 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi sorry if in wrong place but couldn't find a subsection.
Anyway as per other post, I've just about sorted the loft so can use it and looking to plan and build base board. The overall size I have is approx 15ft long by 7tft wide, this would run the full length of the loft space (without going too far into the eves that pitch down at the end, so can go slightly longer/or have space to walk round at the sides)
The main question is, do I cut a well in the middle of 14x7ft board if so how big of a well? You would then have duck under the board to access the well, which is fine for us, may bump heads on the underside. Or do I make it a horse shoe or U shaped and if so how deep do I go and would you fix it to the back wall by about 2ft wide so you could reach the back or have it freestanding shorten the length to 10ft (giving 2ft either side to walk round) and increase the depth to 4ft so you could reach the middle point from both ends?
Thanks all
Andy noobie

Mountain

Re: Baseboard design help u shape or well freestanding or fixed?

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Do you think you will move house in future years? Would you like to exhibit the layout one day? Then it has to be a portable or semi portable layout.
If you think you will not be moving house and prefer to invite friends to you on occasions to run trains, or just prefer something to take the best advantage of space around outer walls of the room, then a permanent layout will be good.
I have to add that normally permanent layouts tend to favour attics better. One can have it a multi level layout if one has a central entry hatch.. Best put some sort of fence or railing as it is so easy to fall down an attic opening!

AndyH007

Postby AndyH007 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:59 pm

No plans to move house anytime soon.
No plans to exhibit the first few anyway if takes off can always build another portable one for that purpose and store in the other half of the loft.
Thanks Andy.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Then a fixed type of layout is best for you.
You can either build it with a level board (The most common way used for most of us), or you can build an open frame layout, or even a mix between the two.
If you have not seen the open frame concept, it is worth looking at even if you chose not to use it. Open framed layouts can take advantage of scenery but if one wants to change track plans they are difficult to do compared to the traditional baseboard top sitting on a frame type layout.

AndyH007

Postby AndyH007 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks.
So far for simplicity I think I will stick with the traditional flat top/frame rather than open frame baseboard design.

Looking at the space I have available I can either go long and narrow or a bit shorter but wider so either;

14ft along the back wall by 2ft wide, so you can reach from just the one side. Then have the sides 7ft by 2ft again only really accessible (without going into the eves) from the one side; OR

Have a 2ft gap around the perimeter and a cut out in the middle so the dimensions would be; 10ft along the back but freestanding (allowing a 2ft gap at back and sides) by 5ft down the sides, that be 4ft wide and accessible from both sides. At the bottom length will be 4ft wide then a access point that be 1ft deep and 2ft wide (4+4+2=10). This then should mean anywhere on the board is no more than 2ft Qy from where you can stand/reach.

I could also make the sides longer so instead of 5ft I can be flexible the only issue being there is a lower beam running the loft which is about my shoulder height so would have duck under it to move around.

How do you add pictures/photos?

AndyH007

Postby AndyH007 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am

In fact if went long but narrow I could make an E shape, the vertical be 14ft long 2ft wide and the top and bottom horizontals 7ft by 2ft. The middle horizontal be 4ft wide as this be accessible from both sides with a 3ft gap between them. I could also make the ends 4ft and cut back in to 2ft so can have roundy roundy at the ends going narrow so can reach. The bottom ends can be reached. Which gives the best use of space ?

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Personally I would always build the baseboards in sections that are small enough to be moved out. I have seen too many layouts where for whatever reason the layout has had to be removed and the only approach was to take an axe to it as it had been built in situ and as a permanent fixture.

Cheers
Dave

allan

Postby allan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am

ElDavo wrote:Personally I would always build the baseboards in sections that are small enough to be moved out. I have seen too many layouts where for whatever reason the layout has had to be removed and the only approach was to take an axe to it as it had been built in situ and as a permanent fixture.

Agree, but aroud here the axe is not the weapon of choice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IhAYgNumFA

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:41 am

allan wrote:Agree, but aroud here the axe is not the weapon of choice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IhAYgNumFA

Must be related to Dr Beeching.....
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Is that what they call "post-modular" ? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”