2017. Which Threads Have Inspired You The Most....

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

2017. Which Threads Have Inspired You The Most....

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 am

For me, I was really impressed with the Polar Express little layout made from those cheap battery operated sets. There are many other models and inspirations...

Lancastrian

Re: 2017. Which Threads Have Inspired You The Most....

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

For me it has to be Glencairn naming his rolling stock after family and friends, a great idea. :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

kebang

Postby kebang » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm

I was inspired by 'Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5? by PinkNosedPenguin'
As a result of this I'm working very slowly towards a small working 0-16.5 layout.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:22 pm

I love both of those threads mentioned. Glencairn repainting his fleet I to his own livery, and PinkNosedPenguins lovely creations.
What I love about 0-16.5 and the kits one can build is that I can look at one kit, and find each modeller has built them with their own style added to it. One can see such a variety of colours or additional details added. It is really exciting to see what angle the next person will take while building the same kit! One thing I promote in this scale and gauge is modelling without the need to spend too much money, and creativity, which on this site (And other sites) we see amazing creativity and imagination.

I have to say that another whos creations always make me happy to see is Emettman. What he makes isn't always as simple and straightforward as it seems. What at first looks like making a cut here and a cut there... It does not always work that way! It is why his creations catch my attention as he has the ability to see the job through to completion where a few of us would be trying to patch up our bits and pieces to look something like they were before we started! :lol:

AlunKimber

Postby AlunKimber » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Millsend - great layout and I will steal Jim's ideas with glee (I'm sorry - to translate into Dilbert speak for those who need it - I will "Share Best Practices")
Cheers
Alun

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 pm

Millsend and Gateside and Northbridge and PETERSDALE, all brilliant and all photographed in such a way as to look twice as big as they realy are! :o
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Millsend for me. A very accurate reproduction of a northern industrial town's railway in the 50s/60s. It just captures the scene and the atmosphere so well. It took me back to the years of my childhood and growing up.
Everyboby that's contributed to the forum in 2017 deserves a mention for their posts whether it be pictures of layouts, advice, opinions, discussion etc.etc. etc. I've really enjoyed being part of it and I hope we continue along the same track in 2018.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Special mention for Derby Friargate.
Being a Derbyshire lad born and raised in this beautiful county, all be it in the north eastern corner I do appreciate excellent modelling.

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 pm

the main inspirational layout for me after nearly 30 years away from any kind of modeling, has to be Grotland, sadly now defuct due to photo-*ukit, it reminded me of so many places of where I grew up in the industrial north, and the photography was outstanding. I know andrew sometimes posts here but I think it would take him years to replace all the photo's missing, especially the how-to's, thats even if he still has copies.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 am

Agree with the above, that layout was a great inspiration for me, I openly copied some of Andrew's building techniques for my own project. One that has not been mentioned yet is "Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4" the gold standard on NRM for modelling. There was one small Southern Layout that I really loved, based on a run down branch, can't think of the title of that layout, must have a hunt.

Edit - found it - "St. Mary Hoo - a clapped out SR branch terminus in P4", but unfortunately another thread where the photographic links are dead.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”