Tonight. The Biggest Little Railway in the World

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Emettman

Tonight. The Biggest Little Railway in the World

Postby Emettman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Channel 4, 8.00 pm.

"The Biggest Little Railway in the World"

Discussed here previously, not meeting the greatest of enthusiasm, shall we say, the project has it's TV reveal.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

luckymucklebackit

Re: Tonight. The Biggest Little Railway in the World

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:30 pm

So far - predictably cringe worthy, bunch of really annoying prats claiming their 15 mins of fame. Not even using real model track

Its a bit like the apprentice with even more annoying individuals

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

PaulTable

Postby PaulTable » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Give it time, it may turn into something ( hopefully) interesting.
Last edited by PaulTable on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Doubt it - switched to David Attenborough after 15 mins before I hurled something at the TV screen :D
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:00 pm

I saw the lead presenters name and decided I had better things to do.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Quite interesting - I posted the same response here, on Facebook British Railway Modellers Group and on RMweb, guess which forum condemned my response!! :D

Sounds like the prats were RMwebbers :D

Jim

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 pm

I enjoyed it. I've always loved Carry On films. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Board of Trade Inspectors killed!

Next week:
Board of Trade Inspectors killed again!

Impressive attempt, but trying to rush it like an episode of "The Great Egg Race" as asking for major trouble.

All to push one loco through?
They needed for public interest to run shuttle services on "completed" sections.

Or put the loco on an elephant and just walk it there.

elephant train.jpg
elephant train.jpg (112 KiB) Viewed 1559 times

Chris

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Enjoyed the james May one, but this was dull and focused on the engineering. That's problably the idea but the fact that it was a train line seemed almost besides the point. 70 miles of watching someone laying track, well i wouldn't watch someone laying 70 feet personally

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 pm

I can’t understand why people take these things so seriously. It’s just a bit of fun really. Of course real track couldn’t be used - it isn’t robust enough and, as explained, wouldn’t cope with the terrain. I suspect for most, the engineering solutions will be the most interesting: the gradient map showed considerable hurdles to come. Whether I watch it again will depend largely on what I’m doing at the time however.

As for prats: our hobby, like so many others, has its fair share, so it was inevitable that some would be there, too.

One of the project leaders seemed completely out of his depth that said, and it seemed predictable that the plywood truss girder bridge would have problems. We’ll see.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:22 pm

One of the project leaders seemed completely out of his depth that said, and it seemed predictable that the plywood truss girder bridge would have problems. We’ll see.

Now I'll have to watch it to see why the material they made aircraft wings from can't hold up an 0 gauge model. James May made one from Meccano and it held him up, but then he seems to posses more practical knowledge than many so called engineers,
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:10 am

I was sceptical approaching this, I had a cushion ready to hide behind (or throw at the telly) but there were only a few eye-rolling moments, the rest of it wasn't bad at all! Certainly better than trainspotting: live.

I agree with Tony I didn't have much hope for their bridge, I'd be wanting the structure to extend much further onto dry land and maybe weighted to help prevent sag.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 am

Bufferstop wrote:Now I'll have to watch it to see why the material they made aircraft wings from can't hold up an 0 gauge model. James May made one from Meccano and it held him up, but then he seems to posses more practical knowledge than many so called engineers,

I think they put too much effort (cutting lattice out sheet ply) into making it look like a scale model.
I suspect a box girder construction would have been better, but scaled to the gap, not the model.

Alternately using those lovely solid sides to the canal to deliver triangular or arched under-bracing.

Chris.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 am

Ive not watched it yet but set it to record and it said it was 1 of 5?! Is that right? Seems like a long time to stretch it out (assuming they are all 1 hour long)

I was watching the grand tour instead & as I don’t really like cars it goes to show how important the presenters are as I’ll probably watch anything with those guys in it :lol:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 am

[quote="Lysander"]I can’t understand why people take these things so seriously. It’s just a bit of fun really. Of course real track couldn’t be used - it isn’t robust enough and, as explained, wouldn’t cope with the terrain. I suspect for most, the engineering solutions will be the most interesting: the gradient map showed considerable hurdles to come. Whether I watch it again will depend largely on what I’m doing at the time however.

As for prats: our hobby, like so many others, has its fair share, so it was inevitable that some would be there, too.

Actually my description of the people taking part as "prats" was not for the reason I expected, they were not the stereotype trainspotters they usually get for these programs, they were worse, it was like watching the worst excesses of behavior that you normally see at corporate group "team building" exercises where everyone is out to enhance their career chances by following expected patterns of pseudo leadership and team bonding, and as Lysander points out at least one was not up for that role!

Jim

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”