Sad news

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mkrob

Sad news

Postby mkrob » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:55 pm

glencairn

Re: Sad news

Postby glencairn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:08 pm

When they catch the 'little darlings' they should make them AND their parents pay for the restoration.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:34 pm

It's about time "graffiti artists" are treated by the press, public and courts for what they are... Vandals.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:34 pm

If they are identified regardless of any prosecution SVR can (and IMHO have a duty to) persue them through the civil courts for damages.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Bring back hanging.

I'm sorry if this offends but most of these little expletives will NEVER learn.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:19 pm

After all the hundreds of man hours and money spent on restoring this rolling stock to it's original condition, I'd lock these buggers up and then make them pay them pay for the repairs (probably out of their dole money) as well as spending all their spare time working on track relaying, shifting ballast, oiling points etc. They'd also have their faces plastered all over the place, listed as vandals. That's because I wouldn't be allowed to do what I'd like to do to these little scrotes.
Pete.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Never forget a decade ago when I was on the railway. For a number of years at various locations along the line, padlocks had been cut or fences vandalised and artistic graffiti was found on wagons, coaches, locos, DMU's and also on various railway buildings. The transport police and even railway staff had become at a loss to find the culprits. Then one day they were found. It was four older gentlemen in suits. The boot of their posh car was full of various colours of spray paint. When they were identified, two were judges and two were top lawyers. They had admitted to being responsible for dozens of graffiti attacks over four to five years. When asked why they did it the answer was that they had become bored with life and wanted a thrill.

The signature left in this case... Isn't it a rather well known celebrity who uses the name or are my mistaken? I seem to remember the name as someone who became famous for his artistic graffiti?

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Violence is always the answer :shock:

Is that a good idea to be promoting violent attitudes to our younger members? If a link to a video with a couple of swear words on another website gets complaints... yet killing and hurting people is all ok eh?? :roll:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:13 pm

mumbles wrote:Violence is always the answer :shock:

Is that a good idea to be promoting violent attitudes to our younger members? If a link to a video with a couple of swear words on another website gets complaints... yet killing and hurting people is all ok eh?? :roll:

Hear hear. I'd be very upset and angry if they were our carriages, but it seems rather uncivilised to recommend capital punishment, torture or beatings. It doesn't sound right that folk claim to be looking down on the bar stewards who did this from such great heights metaphorically yet recommend such barbarism so quickly.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:38 am

I saw this the other day and i have to say it doesn't "smell" right to me. It's not even graffiti in any sense of the term, just scribbles, no tags, and the use of banksy's name on it is like someone who know's nothing about grafitti artists thinking of the only name they know. It's either 10 year olds or the SVR should be looking at people they've fell out with recently because to me its not just vandalism for the sake of it.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:10 am

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:I saw this the other day and i have to say it doesn't "smell" right to me. It's not even graffiti in any sense of the term, just scribbles, no tags, and the use of banksy's name on it is like someone who know's nothing about grafitti artists thinking of the only name they know. It's either 10 year olds or the SVR should be looking at people they've fell out with recently because to me its not just vandalism for the sake of it.

Totally agree. Its vandalism. 'Grafitti Art' is something very different. Hopefully the police catch them and use the appropriate laws to deal with them, because it is illegal, simple as that.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:17 am

Don't think it's 10 year olds, that second one would be too high and too complicated for that age... I'd agree that it's kids, though teenagers...

As for violence, I didn't suggest that, though I don't agree with the current trend for no Corporal Punishment and in this case I'd combine that with getting them to clean it up, paying for the cleaning materials out of their pocket... If they act like wild animals they should be treated as such...

(I'm not sorry if the latter offends, I've seen over the many decades I've lived an increasing use of violence (both verbal and physical) at the same time as more liberal (small L) punishments and greater restrictions on parental control of children... Do I think there is a connection? Yes, I do)...

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:50 am

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:I saw this the other day and i have to say it doesn't "smell" right to me. It's not even graffiti in any sense of the term, just scribbles, no tags, and the use of banksy's name on it is like someone who know's nothing about grafitti artists thinking of the only name they know. It's either 10 year olds or the SVR should be looking at people they've fell out with recently because to me its not just vandalism for the sake of it.

Think you're reading too much into this. It'll be some local arseholes who've got nothing better to do.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 am

This brings tears to my eyes, this is sacrilegious, My heart weeps for those who are the caretakers of these pieces of history.
No penalty is going to be harsh enough, if the courts are like those in Australia, they will only get a naughty person warning. and sent on there way.
The reason society is going like it is, is that the punishment does not fit the crime any more, because the do-gooders say criminals have rights, ( they seen to have more rights than the poor victims).

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 am

Money talks even to these low life, that's why I say SVR and anyone else affected by graffiti has a duty to pursue them through the civil courts unless the criminal courts guarantee to order restitution as part of the sentence. They may not currently have money, or need that much if they can thieve but an undischarged civil debt can be come very burdensome in later life, and having to go to court and plead and prove "I've been a good boy since" is a salutary lesson, more likely to get passed on.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”