Sir Nigel Gressley

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Raydis

Sir Nigel Gressley

Postby Raydis » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Ive since purchased an A4 4498 Blue Streak Its tender driven but the wheels on the loco dont turn is this right or is there a problem Help?

Mountain

Re: Sir Nigel Gressley

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:45 pm

It may need a bit of freeing up. Even when new, they took a bit of running in to free the drive wheels up a bit. I had both a Hornby and a Lima king class and as both were tender drive, they both occasionally had the loco drive wheels stop turning which looked a bit odd when going down the track. The only main thing to check with the loco drive wheels (Apart from the back to back measurement) is that the wheel quartering is set correctly. The wheels on one side of the loco need to be as best as possible set a quarter of a turn different from the wheels on the other side of the loco. It is more likely not this issue, but do a quick visual check. It is more likely it just needs freeing up a bit. Go easy with it. I'm sure you can get it all to work. You may need a little bit of oil (Model railway oil. Sewing machine oil if you can't find model railway specific oil. Use sparingly. A tiniest drip is more then enough in almost all cases.
[Of corse, do a check that no one has modified the loco to have both loco drive and Tender drive! I was once offered a prototype Trix 00 gauge loco (A L.N.E.R. A2) which never came in production and it had both loco and tender drive mechanisms so the company could assess their effectiveness and decide which they would prefer].
Last edited by Mountain on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:47 pm

The loco wheels should be free running. It could be that it needs some lubrication with a suitable model loco specific oil (not WD40 or a household oil like 3 in 1). If that doesn't free up the wheels, then check that the valve and connecting rods are not binding somewhere or have become bent.

Raydis

Postby Raydis » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks to you both for replying to my plight i thought it strange that the wheels were fixed in place the motor in the tender would'nt last very long
i will try your replies with relish regards Raydis

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”