Crisis point

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

Re: Crisis point

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Several years ago I had a conversation with a guy who knew of an elderly collector of rare Marklin models. The collector was single and had numerous railway layouts throughout the house. He befriended a young neighbour who had shown an interest in trains and as a gesture left him his train collection in his will having no family himself.

When the collector died, the family of the young boy ransacked the house throwing out most of what was in the collection. All the layouts were cut up and thrown on the street for the council garbage collection. Many, many thousands of dollars of rare and expensive models finished up in landfill.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 am

Dad-1 wrote:Nothing New is there ?

I'd always looked at your insatiable appetite for secondhand locomotives as something
of a fetish. .................................Geoff T.

Geoff,
I like a challenge and when I spotted an inexpensive non-runner from my favourite webstore then I felt up to the challenge. I would purchase and fix/repair any issues with the loco and then intended onselling. Alas, the locomotives once fixed were like new and I simply found myself unwilling to sell them.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:28 am

GWR_fan wrote:Several years ago I had a conversation with a guy who knew of an elderly collector of rare Marklin models. The collector was single and had numerous railway layouts throughout the house. He befriended a young neighbour who had shown an interest in trains and as a gesture left him his train collection in his will having no family himself.

When the collector died, the family of the young boy ransacked the house throwing out most of what was in the collection. All the layouts were cut up and thrown on the street for the council garbage collection. Many, many thousands of dollars of rare and expensive models finished up in landfill.

It is sad to hear. Often when going to the council tip you see all sorts of valuable things being thrown away. Not allowed to take them sadly, yet in other areas of the country they encourage it to reduce waste.
On a more personal note, many times I have had things that even giving away no one was interested. (Non railway things). Then in just a few months they become the new craze and you can't seem to buy them at any price.
One example were three Raleigh Choppers. They were worthless. No one wanted them. One my dad cut the frame up and used to to make a trailer for a rotivator. The other was scrapped with a Raleigh Grifter that no one wanted. The third was so immaculate I couldn't scrap it and eventually found a buyer for it at £35 which at the time I was relieved to have... Six months later decent examples were fetching £600 and they went up from there.

Other things I've had have been similar. Racing bikes were almost cheaper to scrap and use the parts then the cost of placing the adverts to try to sell them. Now they have returned in fashion and they sell. I still have a few left which I could do with selling to reclaim some of the money i put into them, but I've not been that organised as yet. Will have to let a few go. Some as projects and some as decent bikes as I could do with scaling down a bit. Bicycles are bulky things.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”