Crisis point

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

Crisis point

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:10 am

At some point in time we realise that there is just not enough time to attempt to run everything purchased because it either took our fancy or was a bargain too good to pass up. Well, I have reached that point and decided that everything not pre-war GWR will need to be culled (I may weaken and stretch to 'big four' pre-war). It will take a while but it is pointless seeing beautiful models locked away. This morning I went looking for diesels to entice a sale or two and lo and behold there are numerous brand new steam locomotives sitting in boxes that I had forgotten that I had purchased. It was like Christmas (oh wait it is Christmas!!!!!!).

I think that I will then enjoy the modelling without the guilt. Also, any future purchases will need to fit within my limitations of being suited to the timeframe chosen. Also, my son has gotten me hooked on building fast electric radio control boats so that is consuming both time and money. It will cost a lot to outfit my latest hull purchase, a 1.3 metre catamaran hull that will need two very big and very expensive brushless motors and speed controls. Odd that even the tiny boats can draw several hundred amps. I really need another lifetime to be able to enjoy all that I have.

D605Eagle

Re: Crisis point

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 am

Aaarrhhh! The famous clearout. I hope you have more luck than me because every time I do this I end up with more stuff than I started with! Wifey says I have a problem, and I think she's right..... :oops:

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:39 am

Problem????? what problem. Women have only two feet and two arms and yet how many pairs of shoes and handbags do they really need?

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:22 am

I've no idea how this feels :(

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:36 am

I am having to build an extension to the layout to hold he additional steam locomotives that I have bought over the last couple of years as the layout is getting clogged up. Hay Ho! :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 am

Ah yes,
and then of course there is the airbrush.
Found it the other day, trouble is with my memory I didn't even know I owned one! Great buy at the time, never used.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 am

I'm just surprised that you have only just reached this point, Tim, based on your other posts/threads! ;) :)

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am

Obviously, you are like Oscar Wilde: "I can resist anything except temptation."

Can't help you out, because what you're keeping (pre-war GWR) is exactly what I buy. And (he said pointedly) that's ALL that I buy.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 am

Nothing New is there ?

I'd always looked at your insatiable appetite for secondhand locomotives as something
of a fetish. The train had to hit the buffers sooner or later.

As to having self control, no problem, the problem is always mission creep. I can recall
saying I was ONLY going to do blue diesels. Then mission creep began as I realized it was
freight that interested me the most. Nigh on 60 steam locomotives later ..............
Having in excess of 400 wagons is normal enough though, isn't it ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Your OK Dad1, you can buy/make another 800 wagons to equal me (being a normal modeler :D )
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 pm

In the past I have had large clear outs and sold a lot of items. In my late teens I put the lot of what I had for sale (Except the 3-rail items) and nearly everything GWR sold and so did green B.R. but hardly anything B.R. blue sold, so I modelled in B.R. blue instead. :)

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:59 pm

There is no TOO MUCH ROLLING STOCK...
There is only...not enough storage. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:45 pm

I knew a gentleman (If he is still alive as it has been a few years since we last met, and he was an elderly man then) who has aa large Victorian town house and he said it was so jam packed with 0 gauge models that he was collecting, that he could hardly have room to get into his house. He was a single man with a lifetime of being an 0 gauge modeller.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Several years ago I had a conversation with a guy who knew of an elderly collector of rare Marklin models. The collector was single and had numerous railway layouts throughout the house. He befriended a young neighbour who had shown an interest in trains and as a gesture left him his train collection in his will having no family himself.

When the collector died, the family of the young boy ransacked the house throwing out most of what was in the collection. All the layouts were cut up and thrown on the street for the council garbage collection. Many, many thousands of dollars of rare and expensive models finished up in landfill.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 am

Dad-1 wrote:Nothing New is there ?

I'd always looked at your insatiable appetite for secondhand locomotives as something
of a fetish. .................................Geoff T.

Geoff,
I like a challenge and when I spotted an inexpensive non-runner from my favourite webstore then I felt up to the challenge. I would purchase and fix/repair any issues with the loco and then intended onselling. Alas, the locomotives once fixed were like new and I simply found myself unwilling to sell them.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”