General Advice About Scratchbuilding.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mumbles

Re: General Advice About Scratchbuilding.

Postby mumbles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am

Dave wrote:
mumbles wrote:Levington mk1 for example

Wasn't Levington the test layout for the Hornby Trackmat :lol:

:lol:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 am

While we are on the subject - here is a potential project for the ultra modern image modeller, get your scalpels out and carve up that old DVT!

http://www.artemisip.com/artemis-set-test-alternative-traction-system/

The class 19 project is led by a company named Artemis Intelligent Power, who are undertaking work on an Arriva Trains-owned DVT 82113 which will include the fitting of a 900hp JCB diesel engine. The project is being jointly funded by the RSSB and Chiltern Railways. When complete 82113 is expected to be renumbered into the Type 1 classification as Class 19. The gangway end is to be fitted with a second cab similar to the 'blunt' end of a Class 91.

http://www.wnxx.com/17/1712/041217/19001.htm

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:41 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:While we are on the subject - here is a potential project for the ultra modern image modeller, get your scalpels out and carve up that old DVT!

http://www.artemisip.com/artemis-set-test-alternative-traction-system/

The class 19 project is led by a company named Artemis Intelligent Power, who are undertaking work on an Arriva Trains-owned DVT 82113 which will include the fitting of a 900hp JCB diesel engine. The project is being jointly funded by the RSSB and Chiltern Railways. When complete 82113 is expected to be renumbered into the Type 1 classification as Class 19. The gangway end is to be fitted with a second cab similar to the 'blunt' end of a Class 91.

http://www.wnxx.com/17/1712/041217/19001.htm

Jim

I heard something about a project like this about a decade ago. Not sure if it was this project. In theory they thought it would work but they hit difficulties getting everything to work together on the project I was reading about. The concept is a very good one. It is much cheaper to redesign and use what has been already made.
Recycling on the railway is nothing new. For example, it is customary for many decades to reuse pressure gauges and dials from old scrapped locos onto brand new locos. This was done for many years when trains were made in the UK, which kept parts standard for easy replacement and saved costs. It did give cabs of new locos a weird look as sometimes dials and gauges would look old and scruffy in a brand new locomotive. (They would be made to look new or new ones fitted to the loco the press or public would see if the loco was on show).
New locos made and imported from other countries would have new dials and parts. This can present issues for parts availability which is one of the reasons along with it often takes ten years for new locos to have amended design features to overcome shortfallings in the loco (Nearly all new locos have issues where certain aspects have to be redesigned) is why the first train operating company I worked for decided to use only older units and decided to plough their funds into those units, so we ended up with the best class 158's of the country which had had 19 total redesigns of specific weak parts right across the train. While these redesigns didnt seem that much, it was only when we had some ex Central trains 158's which had not had such upgrades that we got to appreciate the work that the old Wales and West company had put in. (Arriva found out the hard way after the units were swapped!)
The ex. Central Trains units we recieved instead had been so run down that it was almost a miracle they worked at all!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Mountain wrote:lathes etc.

I've got none of those things. I do have a knife and a cutting mat though :lol:

Maybe starting simple is better advice before recommending engineering tools? It scares me reading about needing stuff like that :mrgreen:

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Dave wrote:

No Hornby would go that low, they needed something with a little more quality!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:19 pm

m.levin wrote:
Dave wrote:

No Hornby would go that low, they needed something with a little more quality!

Cameltoe Junction?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 pm

mumbles wrote:
Mountain wrote:lathes etc.

I've got none of those things. I do have a knife and a cutting mat though :lol:

Maybe starting simple is better advice before recommending engineering tools? It scares me reading about needing stuff like that :mrgreen:

I forgot knives, but make sure you are over 25 before using knives of glue... Yet one can be married at 16... * Visions of a young married couple who are sitting there waiting to grow older before they can open their wedding presents with some scissors.... :D

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”