Shawplan.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Peterm

Shawplan.

Postby Peterm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 am

Hi all,
I've emailed a couple of times to Brian and got no answer, I've also phoned and got a message that they aren't answering phone calls and to email or write. I'm trying to get some roof fan grilles and wondered if anyone knows what's going on.
Pete.

Mike Parkes

Re: Shawplan.

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:53 am

Pete

IME he is very slow to respond, it does not help that when queried at shows he asks for the query to be emailed. I am waiting and waiting for a response re a replacement part from one of his glazing packs - looks like my wallet is going to have to take a hammering and another pack bought just for one window.

Mike

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 am

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I have dealt with him before, about 9 months ago and had no problem. The reason I'm anxious to get these etchings are firstly, because they're superb and the other is that I've put an EM2 speaker (details on DC Kits website if you're interested) in a Heljan Western class 52 and it sounds great until I put the body on. This is because the Heljan grilles have no holes for the sound to get out. I've done the same with a Heljan class 47 with Shawplan fan grilles to let the sound out and it also sounds really good. At the moment, the EM2 in the 52 is a waste of ₤25.00. :(
Pete.

Sharpyboy

Postby Sharpyboy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi all.well i have tried for weeks and week to get a reply from shawplan not phone nor email.i have contacted a few places and they are all waiting they are treated the same as us no reply from email or phone. :evil: no updates on web site.no where to place order.im new to all this having been away from it since i was a kid now im doing the same as my dad did with my lads so dealing with things such as this .i have a few 37 that i would like to do up over the winter .there is not much out there shawplan have the best range would anyone know of any where i could all bits needed .im not up to making my own as i have jcb buckets as hands im not good enough for that yet.doing etched parts im half ok with . :lol: if anyone could help i would be great full .

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 pm

As you will see from:

http://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk/traders.html

they are booked to attend the Warley Exhibition.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Pretty disappointing that they/he won't reply to emails or even answer the phone. I got a recorded message saying that they won't answer phone calls. Time to look for some fine mesh and try and make my own. Maybe he's getting older and can't stand the pace any more, you never know.
Pete.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Peterm wrote:Pretty disappointing that they/he won't reply to emails or even answer the phone. I got a recorded message saying that they won't answer phone calls. Time to look for some fine mesh and try and make my own. Maybe he's getting older and can't stand the pace any more, you never know.

Do you know why?

Edited by admin

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Totally uncalled for and post reported to admins.
Pete.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Peterm wrote:Totally uncalled for and post reported to admins.

What I should have said and meant in the post was We do not know the reason for this message do we ? it could be a very personal reason as to why no phone calls etc are being answered. Typical of todays attitude if I don`t get a reply with in a milli second the worst has happened

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Admin warning: Please keep it friendly & helpful, points can be made without resorting to name calling.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:30 pm

I'll add my stamp to that, keep it civil and remember that a lot of these small businesses are one man doing it in retirement, usually because no one else will. Make allowance for that before you pass comment, and try to make helpful suggestions not just criticism.
John W.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:48 pm

trainlover23 wrote:
Peterm wrote:Pretty disappointing that they/he won't reply to emails or even answer the phone. I got a recorded message saying that they won't answer phone calls. Time to look for some fine mesh and try and make my own. Maybe he's getting older and can't stand the pace any more, you never know.

Do you know why?

Edited by admin

I thought that made it pretty clear (to most people) that I understood there could be a problem. It wasn't anything like a milli second as you put it trainlover, it was several weeks and more than one email.
Pete.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 am

Good morning gentlemen. I've had an eye on this thread as I know Brian, and thought it best that I drew it to his attention. He is very much still in the game but like many of his ilk, finds that there just aren't enough hours in the day to achieve all that he would like to. Compounding this is some contract work that is impinging not only on his own time but on that of the etching firm he uses, meaning that he can't always restock as quickly as he'd like.

Hopefully that will prevent any more speculation (something I don't like to see); Brian obviously sends his apologies for the current situation and hopefully, folk will be able to bear with him.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am

I love speculation, particularly where there is no foundation to it. Without it the BBC would have nothing to report.

Anyway, I have some sympathy for the OP. I'm in a similar boat with another supplier i must stress. I've paid for the items i ordered by bank transfer since the supplier (it is a registered company) requested this and there was no provision for credit card. Four unanswered emails, three phone calls (one answered) and a month later, and still no product. We've got past the 'please allow 28 days for delivery'

Whether the supplier is an old geezer or a young upstart, there really much excuse for this and ultimately, it will backfire. I can afford to write off the money i have sent, in fact, the time spent chasing this is more vexing, but i won't order again.

I can't help but think that the blurring between somebody having a hobby or interest and seeing this as a business opportunity is not always wise. I appreciate that without those with a keen interest in a certain area, some items would never come to market, but a keen interest is no longer enough. Perhaps better to not bother than to find your name slagged off all over the internet

Sharpyboy

Postby Sharpyboy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:44 am

Could not agree more.you need to keep people in the frame.we are just a few of meany that wait for these kits as not all are scratch building competent . .if things are hard then at least tell the people who are waiting for the items .being keep in the dark is no way to treat anyone also the on line shops suffer the same fate have no contact the same as us.
Well we will wait an see .the proof of the pudding is in the eating.no doubt there will be plenty of comments and debates in months to come.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”