Railmaster software with Digitrax

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Sammo

Railmaster software with Digitrax

Postby Sammo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 am

Hi everyone
I am using the Digitrax Evolution system to control my loco's, I use the word loco's as I only use it to control the loco's themselves and nothing else.
Everything I do with regard to point or signal control is done with other switches on my control boards which I used before changing to DCC, so still use those for routing etc.

I love the throttle which is the DT500D which is totally free walkabout.
I am fortunate enough to have over 40 loco's all chipped. All are steam, I no longer use the 3 diesel loco's

Now for my problem.
I normally use the last 4 numbers on the cab but when the loco is in motion it is only visible when it is passing, if I have 8 loco's running its not easy to take back control of a loco until it has passed the station or caught up with a slower train on the same track. I can only run 7 individual trains on there own track, after that I have to have more than one train on the same track which is dodgy.

Now I have bored you with that. This is my question.
What is the best software to use on a tablet? Taking into consideration I only want to be able to control loco's.
I am looking for something which gives me more loco info, rather than just the number which will make it easier to select a particular loco.

I can still use the DT500D throttle for shunting which is ideal for that, along with the sounds etc on a limited number of loco's.

Digitrax do software for a tablet but it is very limited, I will have to buy the Digitrax loconet interface unit, I think I can use the software of my choice on the tablet to use with it.

Tricky Dicky

Re: Railmaster software with Digitrax

Postby Tricky Dicky » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 am

If you are talking about Hornby Railmaster software I believe that can only be used with their Elite controller.

If you wish to use a tablet then it depends on whether you are using Android or Apple. Having an iPad I have TouchCab. I have not had the opportunity to use it yet as everything is dismantled awaiting a new mancave. I have seen it in use and it seems quite impressive. I cannot comment on Android software but have seen operators using it at exhibitions successfully.

Richard

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:27 am

JMRI supports Digitrax loconet and has a wifi throttle app for Android (not sure about Apple). All you need is for the PC running JMRI and the phone/tablet to be on the same network.
the app is called Engine Driver
Which apparently can work directly with the digitrax LNWI wifi interface
In JMRI you can create a roster of your locomotives so that you can select them by name in your throttle. You can even customise the function buttons available for each one.

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/
Regards
Rob

Sammo

Postby Sammo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks for replies
Tricky Dicky
I thought that might be the case.
Ironduke
Thanks for the info I think I will have a go with the Engine driver.

By the way I am using an android based tablet

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Railmaster can only be used with the Elite or the eLink or it can be used with BOTH at the same time. Some people use one to control the trains while the other controls points and accessories.

It does not work with the Hornby Select but the Select can be used as a walkabout unit if it is connected to the Elite.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”