Jumping Bachmann USA Loco

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
flattrack60

Jumping Bachmann USA Loco

Postby flattrack60 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:55 pm

My Bachmann B-23 USA loco has started lurching forward when setting of or slowing down any ideas whats causing this , my layout is analogue using basic hornby controllers no other loco does it
Cheers Tony

Bigmet

Re: Jumping Bachmann USA Loco

Postby Bigmet » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:55 pm

There's quite a number of things to look at to assist in understanding what may be happening. The problem couid be in mechanism, track, and even the controller despite no problem occurring with other locos. What type of loco is the B-23 as well?

Does the loco have to be speeding up or slowing down for a 'forward lurch' to occur, can it happen at constant speed?

Do these forward lurches only happen in particular locations on the layout, or can it happen anywhere? That needs you to run the loco quite a while and observe, making notes of where the lurches happen.

When there is a lurch does the noise the loco makes change very significantly (noisy/quiet)?

Notanyware

Postby Notanyware » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:50 pm

I have owned several American HO and N scale locos and found many of their non Spectrum models have problems with split gears, as a matter of fact last month I bought two brand new N scale Bachmann Trams that had the same problem as yours, on close inspection I found they both had split gears straight out of the box, sadly the quality control at Bachmann is 0+, not so the British Branchline. the best brands for USA are Atlas and Kato.

flattrack60

Postby flattrack60 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for the help might have a go at taking it to bits

Notanyware

Postby Notanyware » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 pm

The Bogies or as the Americans say Trucks should just pull straight out of the loco, the gears can be inspected that way, to replace just push them back into the loco but make sure they are the same way round as when you pulled them out, your problem could also be as simple as a piece of fluff that has found its way into the gears.

flattrack60

Postby flattrack60 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:35 am

"your problem could also be as simple as a piece of fluff that has found its way into the gears."

thanks for the advice i managed to clean it and it runs ok now

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”