Help identifying please

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
b308

Re: Help identifying please

Postby b308 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I'm not sure if the "Bull Ant" range is still in production.

I believe they are but he suffered some illness so stopped taking orders for quite a while and has only recently restarted. If that is the route taken I'd ask him before ordering to find out what the lead times are...

NickH

Postby NickH » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Not quite sure where you got the information regarding a 9' 0" wheelbase bogie. Checking the recently updated Southern Pride website they quote the more normal, and, I believe, correct, 8' 6" wheelbase and recommend the Replica chassis I suggested, so I don't think there is any need for compromise on this account, as I believe the Replica chassis has strong Southern origins, and 8' 6" was a favourite there.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:15 pm

It was a later post relating to the Class 310/312... If you go to the page it quotes the 9ft wheelbase on there.

http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/index.htm?1

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Mountain wrote:Regarding the 110. I have one of the first China made examples. I used to have a British made example also and another before that. The difference when it moved to China were the plastic was stiffer and less flexible to the chassis. The wheels were much finer made. The ringfield type motor looked identical but did run smoother. Did they change them to 5 pole armatures?

Yes they did get the 5 pole ringfield. The bogies are all pivotless which can cause issues with crossovers and slips.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:56 pm

I've not had any issues with my China version, but I did with the older Margate versions. I did find a way to settle them down a bit they were not perfect. I think the harder plastic used with the Chinese versions made the bogie less prone to sticking, but for me it was the loseness of the wheels with the Margate versions that caused the issues. My bogies seemed to turn ok...most of the time! :lol:
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:59 pm

I had to put springs on both my Margate one with finescale wheels and my Chinese one to stop them always turning right going over the slip no matter which way it was set when exiting their shed. Other than that I love them, really good detail for their age.

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Thank you all for your help and replies.
I'm going to spend a bit more time researching this, and whether this is the route I want to go down.

I might make this a long term goal, and change my current ideas for my layout.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Things may seem more difficult but nothing is impossible...
How about running different classes which look similar to what you like. For example, in my area of Wales, we saw classes 101 and 108 DMU's which apart from Triang's rather basic example which we tended to avoid, the only way to run DMU's for us was to run the Hornby class 110 and the Lima class 117 as those were the only ready made models which looked the part. They "Stood in" for the classes we couldn't get in ready made form.
For you, there have been some recent models that may give the overall look for you to make a nice layout.

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Mountain wrote:Things may seem more difficult but nothing is impossible...
How about running different classes which look similar to what you like. For example, in my area of Wales, we saw classes 101 and 108 DMU's which apart from Triang's rather basic example which we tended to avoid, the only way to run DMU's for us was to run the Hornby class 110 and the Lima class 117 as those were the only ready made models which looked the part. They "Stood in" for the classes we couldn't get in ready made form.
For you, there have been some recent models that may give the overall look for you to make a nice layout.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that tbh. A quick eBay browsing session (for unrelated items) showed some items that had the look I was after.
I do have a lot of research and browsing to do.

I will be starting a planning thread soon, but this week I'm focusing on getting the loft boarded, lit and powered.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 pm

I hope all goes well with plans and ideas. If it is just for EMU's (Passenger focused layout) then an out and back to a terminus station is very tempting. Something that gives a good run before the trains return. It can also give the impression of being busy when you dont have too many EMU's as there will be the fun of sending one out when another is waiting to come in. A small town or city three or four platform terminus which can handle six or seven coaches in length seems a nice idea. If the track p!an sends the trains into a loop so they just run round again it may also be an idea. Its all fun! You may have a totally different plan to that idea. :)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 am

you might be interested in this post on the other place http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126897-1956-er-1500v-dc-4-car-emu/

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”