DCC Controller for a novice

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
clubhead

DCC Controller for a novice

Post by clubhead »

I am pondering on whether to switch to dcc,but have no experience using it.my layout under construction is only 10’x2 in an 8x6 shed.l like the sound of the gaugemaster prodigy 2 starter package.does anyone on here use one,and is it recommended?
Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Colin
m.levin

Re: DCC Controller for a novice

Post by m.levin »

Depending on your location in the world, a number of the larger model shops will have a number of DCC systems to play with, on request.
I would look on Ebay for the cheaper DCC controllers, you may pick up a bargain to have a play around with, before taking on the full commitment. if you decided DCC isn't for you the loss on a Hornby/Bachmann second hand unit may be far less then on gaugemaster prodigy.
You also need to factor Decoders, no point have a DCC system and no locos to play with.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I would take a step back and ask 'Why are you considering DCC?' because there should be a reason or reasons, and that may well influence your choice. The choice of system appearance and interface is quite wide, from a very austere small handset to a collection of DIY assembled devices, and from 'Starship Enterprise control panel' with full integration to a computer network, to 'tries to look like locomotive controls'.

All the systems on general sale will do the job. Take the time to try them out, hands on. They will still be there to purchase even if it takes a year! I would suggest that it is worth looking for the one with the control interface that falls naturally under your hand, so that it is a pleasure to use and you quickly become unconciously competent with it. (It's a hobby, it should all be fun.) And don't just try driving, try altering CVs on decoders to make adjustments you will want to do.

Of course if the first one you try really works comfortably for you in every respect, then you can just buy it and ignore the endless opinion about the merits of this, that and the other system.

The point about decoders is a good one. There are still large variations in drive refinement and features, and if using N gauge or smaller, some significant limitations in choice due to size restriction. I would also advise retaining a simple DC controller (assuming you have one already) because the locos remain DC, with a decoder overlaid. It is much easier to sort out any running problem if the loco can be tested without the decoder, to see where any trouble lies. New locos are best sorted mechanically on DC, before any decoder is installed. DCC is not a cure for a poor running mechanism, but will enhance what can be got from a good mechanism
clubhead

Post by clubhead »

m.levin wrote:Depending on your location in the world, a number of the larger model shops will have a number of DCC systems to play with, on request.
I would look on Ebay for the cheaper DCC controllers, you may pick up a bargain to have a play around with, before taking on the full commitment. if you decided DCC isn't for you the loss on a Hornby/Bachmann second hand unit may be far less then on gaugemaster prodigy.
You also need to factor Decoders, no point have a DCC system and no locos to play with.
Hi M.Levin
Thanks for the advice,l will search on eBay see what’s on there.l am fully aware of the need for decoders.
clubhead

Post by clubhead »

Hi Bigmet
Thank you for your very helpful advice.l have no reason to go dcc,other than the fact l am a 74 yr old techie & just fancy trying it.l already have 3 dc controllers including a guagemasterQ four track controller,which lve had for about 7 yrs.l live in Hindley,Wigan,Lancs,so Hattons is my nearest dealer,from whom lve had most of my stock & accessories.The modelling has had to be abandoned for 5 yrs owing to my late wife’s poor health,but l’m now getting the enthusiasm to start up again.As l said at beginning,l have read up about dcc & the system just appeals to me,finances are not a drawback.l think the nearest place where l could try different systems is about 80 miles south of here.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

clubhead wrote:Hi Bigmet
...l have no reason to go dcc,other than the fact l am a 74 yr old techie & just fancy trying it...
Tech interest is a good reason. In which case, you might want to consider emerging alternatives to DCC as well, like using Bluetooth modules. Then you can use one of your existing DC controllers to put full power on the track, and the control is much like DCC for sophistication but by a broadcast signal, rather then embedded in track power.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Have you though about visiting a modelling show to discuss with layout owners about thier DCC control systems?
If it's a quiet time they may even let you have a go eliminating that 80 mile trip. :)

I've never been to Hatton's. Does anyone know if they have anything setup to try things out?

Although I have only visited the shop and 2 of thier open days, Gaugemaster has modelling days to go and try out different things like building kits etc.
I wonder if a shop near you does the same?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
clubhead

Post by clubhead »

Hi Bigmet
Having lost touch with the hobby for last five yrs until a couple of days ago,l had never heard of this Bluetooth till you mentioned it.l have several Bluetooth enabled gadgets-ie,iPad,MacBook Pro,smartphone,pc,& Samsung Q7 pled 4K tv.can any of these do what you suggest,& where can l get information on the subject
Thanks, Colin
clubhead

Post by clubhead »

Hi End2End
Hattons never used to have the facility to try different dcc controls at the Smithdown rd shop.l have not been to their present site in Widnes,but they don’t mention it in their advert.
I used to visit a few of the shows,but they were always busy,so l never had opportunity to enquire about dcc.
Thank you for replying to my question,much appreciate it.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

i had the gaugemaster prodigy express to start with and got on with it OK (apart from having a faulty handset to start with) it's very basic in terms of display etc and in the end i opted for a ECoS 50000 which has a much nicer GUI and dual throttles.

but as a starting system the gaugemaster is a good choice, i would however echo the others suggestions and see if you can have a go on one before deciding - local shops would be ideal or shows etc
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Colin, try this link.
http://bluerailtrains.com/
The modules may well be on the large size for smaller OO loco installations, but worth a look from the tech interest perspective.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

This thread's been busy today, I've only just spotted it. Can I ask who you bought your shed from, it sounds like the answer to all our prayers.
my layout under construction is only 10’x2 in an 8x6 shed
unless you bought it of some weird Doctor bloke. :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
clubhead

Post by clubhead »

Hi Bufferstop,l forgot to say my baseboard is an L shape with a bolt on fiddle yard :roll: the shed is 47 yrs old 6”x1” tongue and groove and is still in good condition.next doors had 2sheds in that time.
clubhead

Post by clubhead »

Hi Bigmet
Thanks for the web link.l will peruse the site to see what’s what.
clubhead

Post by clubhead »

Hi alex3410
Thank you for your reply.l will see if there are any dealers within the Lancashire area where l can try them out.