Oxford Rail Loco Query?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
jackshepherd

Oxford Rail Loco Query?

Postby jackshepherd » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi fellow forum members, been a while since i've been on here, so glad to be back.

So I have a query I want to ask regarding Oxford Rail locos. So basically I want to pre order their 00 gauge GER N7, but having seen a Sam's Trains video about the not so good GWR dean goods, I just want to ask if that was a one off or are their models not good runners. thanks :?:
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

Bigmet

Re: Oxford Rail Loco Query?

Postby Bigmet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 pm

A grand total of two mechanisms seen so far, both designs follow well established practise, and I have seen both operating very well; there's no deluge of complaints online that would be the reliable indication of a general problem. I plan to buy a cheap Oxford DG when available because it is a useful 5'2" wheel Armstrong wheelbase 0-6-0 mechanism with potential as project fodder for other small boilered classes of 0-6-0. (You will find with practically any model release there's someone who finds a specimen that doesn't run well for them. Take it back, demonstrate problem to retailer and exchange.)

Personally, having had the chance to work on a Radial tank for a friend who wanted it altered slightly, found it a neatly constructed sweet running mech. with a well chosen 50:1 gear reduction for good smooth slow speed movement all the way up to a realistic maximum speed. A little adjustment to the bogie spring helped traction. In short I wouldn't worry at all on this score, as an 0-6-2T layout is little different from an 0-6-0 in terms of mechanism; and it is a far easier layout for good traction than a 4-4-2T.

I also wouldn't bother with a pre-order TBH, unless it is either a means to a very keen price, or to secure a particular version that you are sure will sell out before release! This is a model I want too, and feel confident there will be sufficient to go around.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:10 pm

What did you do to the bogie spring? My first one is a little light on traction, although I confess I've yet to look at it yet. Pre pointers are always very helpful ;)

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:39 am

I've got the Adams radial tank fro OR and it runs as sweet as anything. I really don't think there's anything wrong with their mech's.
Pete.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 am

D605Eagle wrote:What did you do to the bogie spring?

Cut about a turn and a half out of it, to soften the action slightly. That stopped it taking any significant weight off the driving wheels when moving onto the uphill gradient on the layout on which it operates. It roughly doubled the load it could move at dead slow without slipping when tested over this section. (This is not how it will be operated, but a sensitive test for whether any improvement had been achieved.)

Locked the pivot screw with some nail varnish at a longer setting than supplied as well, allowing the bogie some downward travel relative to the driving wheels, compared to none as supplied. That's a not unusual RTR set up, very little or no downward travel allowed; and tends to produce a loco which loses traction abruptly, because the spring on the carrying wheel(s) only acts significantly when the carrying wheel(s) are lifted relative to the driving wheels.

No negative effect on railholding of the bogie, although the owner's layout is not 'challenging' with easy curves on both plain track and points; so I wouldn't claim it has had a real test in this respect, as it has been nowhere near a set track point.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:26 am

Thanks for that. Both of mine run fine everywhere, I have no sharp bends or set track points. The early one struggles on the 1:100 with 4 coaches on. The later one marches up with no slipping at all.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”