Sorting Through 00 Gauge Models.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Lancastrian

Re: Sorting Through 00 Gauge Models.

Postby Lancastrian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Mountain wrote: Sorry to say that for me that would be overkill.

Not for me. I have a large collection and I can export the information to Excel without any problem, but the database is ideal for my needs. Each to his own.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Lancastrian wrote:
Mountain wrote: Sorry to say that for me that would be overkill.

Not for me. I have a large collection and I can export the information to Excel without any problem, but the database is ideal for my needs. Each to his own.

I understand on PC one can use the info in !any different ways, but I prefer pen and paper. And if I want a more complex system for servicing I revert to the simple card system in a box. I think I may be old fashioned. :lol:

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Because my catalogue is on a spreadsheet, which is on dropbox, I can access it on my mobile, to check if I spot a second hand bargain, is actually a wagon I need!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Dave wrote:Got boxes full of the stuff, havent a clue what I have to be honest. Sorting it and selling the surplus is about 900 on my 1001 things to do list :lol:

Haha. I put it off for a long time! Need to sort through the collection. So far I've found one sad casualty. An old Mainline well wagon. It must have caught on something as its frame has sheared off complete with bogie. :( . It wasn't in the best condition as its bogies tended to be held on the track by gravity rather then the clips that held it. I can either repair or rebuild it or use it as parts for 0-16.5 modelling so its not a dead loss. Just an opportunity.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 pm

I use a simple table in Word for mine but it only covers stock for my current project not the rest of what I have. There is a handwritten list that I take to shows because I don't want to duplicate though Bachmann have caught me by reusing running numbers under a different catalogue number once.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:13 am

I catalogued all my rolling stock a few months back and was amazed how much I had forgotten about.
only down fall was "oh need to get some more of those to make a full rake!" didn't expect it to start costing money.
Its handy to do, saves rooting through draws and boxes looking for something you thought you had.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 am

I've got my stock list on excel.
I split the stock down into make (Bachmann, Hornby etc.), type (Steam/'Diesel locos, Coaches/Wagons etc.). Then if they've been weathered or got a load in them etc. i must admit its got quite a lot of detail in it. Works quite well but maybe I need to give the wagons etc a reference number so I know they get back into the right box after a running session.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:29 am

RailwayRobbo wrote:I've got my stock list on excel.
I split the stock down into make (Bachmann, Hornby etc.), type (Steam/'Diesel locos, Coaches/Wagons etc.). Then if they've been weathered or got a load in them etc. i must admit its got quite a lot of detail in it. Works quite well but maybe I need to give the wagons etc a reference number so I know they get back into the right box after a running session.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Pete, this shows the fields I use viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44849&start=15#p545558, snapshot later in the thread
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

allan

Postby allan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:38 pm

Mountain wrote:I understand on PC one can use the info in !any different ways, but I prefer pen and paper. And if I want a more complex system for servicing I revert to the simple card system in a box. I think I may be old fashioned. :lol:

Do you remember "Cardfile" on Windows 3.1? I'm still running it on 10! My sort of database, a bit like me, y'know, old and simple...

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Old and simple is sometimes the best way.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Mine are all in the database of big plastic boxes. :lol:
Number 1 - buildings
Number 2 - rolling stock.
Job done with no power or batteries abused. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:36 am

End2end wrote:Mine are all in the database of big plastic boxes. :lol:
Number 1 - buildings
Number 2 - rolling stock.
Job done with no power or batteries abused. :lol:
Thanks
End2end

Plastic boxes!! you posh barstool!!

kebang

Postby kebang » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:05 am

This may be useful for people who like very simple filing systems. Its a free 3rd party rewrite of MS Cardfile that works with Win 7, 8 & 10. 64bit & 32 bit downloads are available. I have downloaded the 64 bit version but haven't had the time to run it yet. (I've run AVG Antivirus on the downloaded .exe file - no problems found)

http://www.geert.com/CardFile.htm

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:49 am

I've just downloaded Yard Office which would seem to do the job, I've looked at it but gone no further as yet, though it would seem to do what i will want it to do...

http://www.musicmixradio.com/yardoffice/

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:02 pm

I am with the camp that really does not wish to know how much stock that I have and how much money I have spent. Most probably have far more than we can reasonably use but we still buy new stock as it is released. Personally, if I was to take on an inventory system I would spend more time updating the file than I could spend more wisely on railway related tasks.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”