Special Service Trains?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
glencairn

Special Service Trains?

Postby glencairn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Looking at increasing train movements on my layout I began thinking. (Yes I can think!) What trains or services could I run without having to buy extra rolling stock? Here are a few I could and will implement on my layout, also what vehicle/s to use and suggestions for yourself.

1) Newspaper Train A parcel van attached to the early morning train. - Not only for the national papers, but the local ones also. The Yorkshire Post in Leeds would send their newspapers from Leeds to as far as Berwick and Nottingham. The Hexham Courant is a weekly paper that is in the Northumberland, Durhah, Tyne and Wear and Scottish Border shops first thing Fridays. -- The 'Glencairn Echo' is available weekly. :)

2) Royal Mail Transferring Money to and from The Royal Mint. Royal Mail Parcel Coach. --- Royal Mail did not run the train at the time of 'The Great Train Robbery'. -- It ran/ runs when you want it to.

3) The Added Coach. A passenger coach added to the back of a short Royal Mail train. -- Simply that; usually ran late at night.

4) The 'Show Train' A Passenger Train. -- Trains to a Special Show. Trains to the Annual Bellingham (Northumberland) Show used to run from Newcastle, Hexham and Morpeth. Is there a 'show' you can run to and from on your layout?

5) C.I.U. Working Men's Annual Outing. A Passenger Train. In the 1950s Working Men's Clubs in Yorkshire ran annual outings to the seaside on a Summer's Day on Saturday. (Whether they still do I do not know.) The trains would run carrying mainly women and children. Men would still be working Saturdays. The train would leave early morning, returning evening time.

6) Duplicate Train. Extra Passenger Train run at busy time, but not in timetable. I and two cousins travelled on one when I was six, and they 8 and 10 without a ticket, but that's another story.

7) The 1930s Special. The Railway Company running special passenger trains to promote their region. I know LNER ran special trains from Newcastle to Bellingham via Hexham; returning via Morpeth. I am sure other 'Specials' ran elsewhere. They still run, by private organisations.

8The Football/Horse Racing Special. Follow your favourite team. Was it a long journey? -- an early departure, or not?. The away team visiting. -- Arriving before the start, departing after the match. Was it a Saturday match? A mid-week match?
A day at the races. Is the racecourse far away? or not?

There we have it. A few ideas to run extra trains with the stock you have. I am sure there are many more. What they are though is added enjoyment in running trains that have to be fitted into the normal timetable.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

mekydro

Re: Special Service Trains?

Postby mekydro » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:22 pm

Some good suggestions there, Glencairn. May I add a couple?

In the period up until the mid-1960s there were often 'pigeon specials' organised by pigeon-fanciers to take racing (homing) pigeons to a start point, where they were released and flew (hopefully) home. These trains were made up of parcels vehicles such as CCTs, GUVs, Siphon G's, etc. with maybe the odd BSK thrown in.

If your layout has first-generation DMUs, in their early days of service they also often conveyed a parcels van attached to the rear on certain workings or as traffic demanded.

Grahame

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:46 pm

2) Royal Mail Transferring Money to and from The Royal Mint. Royal Mail Parcel Coach. --- Royal Mail did not run the train at the time of 'The Great Train Robbery'. -- It ran/ runs when you want it to.

As a result of the Great Train Robbery money transfers were done by Bullion Vans or Bullion Containers, not by standard Parcels Coaches (for obvious reasons). A bullion van can me a simple conversion from a BR Mk 1 Corridor Second (BSK) coach. The Bullion vans also found use on MoD traffic, such as the secure movement of ammunition. At the same time the livery was changed from BR Corporate Blue/Grey to Army Green with oversized Railfreight Distribution sub-sector markings.

The conversion involved the internal fitting of a high security cage, radio communications equipment and high security glass. Externally, changes included the plating over most of the windows, fitment of heavy duty B5 bogies, corridor gangway connection removal and modifications to the roof such as the addition of two pods and the movement of the ventilators.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:40 pm

As you say Jim, things changed after the robbery.--- most times.
Having worked at the Post Office and seen and known what does happen, a normal Post Office Parcel Van will run on my layout on such 'special services' occasionally. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

senorsenales

Postby senorsenales » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:11 am

Just a bit of information here about what has been suggested.

Paper trains - in the mid 60's when I used to catch the train home from Victoria to Balham at about 0430 the passenger compartments were used to carry the papers, as was the first Reading - Newbury DMU up till the late 70's. They were met by the newsagents and sorted on the platforms. They were transferred from the Padd - Oxford paper train at Reading in the latter case.

Bullion vans - known as NOIL's on the Western they were attached as required to trains heading to/from Paddington. I worked in the Control then, the incoming we knew about because they had to use a specific platform, the outgoing we didn't. The movement went over to road transport at some time or other, possibly the early 70's. The movement by rail was advised in the late Special Notices issued daily. and the coach was attached to the rear of scheduled limited stop Class 1 trains, not part of parcels trains.

Added coach - built into the consist for somewhere for the Guard to sit, as the rest of the train were GUV's or vehicles without the neccessary accommodation for staff. Public were not normally allowed, but quite often managed to hitch a ride.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”