smoke oil

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
clive61

smoke oil

Postby clive61 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:57 am

Hi to everyone online atm,

Does anyone know if its possible to buy smoke oil that produces the white sort of cloudy smoke seen on full size steam engines and where to get it from?, Hornby`s sachets R521 just gives out little wisps of grey smoke and is not what i`m after, is there anything I can add to this to make it more realistic?

Many thanks to every one who takes the time to read this post and offer their assistance.

Clive.

TimberSurf

Re: smoke oil

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:33 am

"The World's finest smoke oil"
http://www.megasteam.com
Available from petersspares
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 pm

H Timbersurf,
In your smoke making experiments, did you ever try baby oil. I only ask as I have one of those 1/16 scale tanks, and various forums seem to mention that oil.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi buggles,

I didn't experiment with the oil, as I was just interested in the pressure and flow of smoke, I needed the oil to be a constant.
Now I have the measure of that, I need to source the oil (in bulk), as I was using smokers vapes liquid (10ml) which is both small and expensive. Research shows you can make your own, most are based around :-Vegetable Glycerin (VG) & Propylene Glycol (PG) & Flavourings & Water. The precise percentages of each is perhaps the secret. Readily available for a few pounds per 250ml. (watch my posts for when I actually get around to that part!)
Baby oil is a mineral/paraffin product which would burn, rather than vapourise and could be quite harmful if inhaled! (vs Glycerin/Glycol can be ingested without harm, hence licensed for vaping)
There are many products out there (especially in U.S.) that are based on paraffin oil, which is great if your layout is outdoors, but gives concern indoors (limit use and ventilate room), we used to use paraffin heaters in our homes as frost protection and as general heaters, so it cant be that bad, but modern PC police would frown on it!
P.S. (burning) paraffin rather than (vapourising) Glycerin/Glycol will eventually cause the demise of the element, as the sooty by-products of burning, will coat the whole smoke unit up with a coating of black deposits, that will gum it up!

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:12 am

Thanks for the reply, Timbersurf. I think I will give the baby oil a miss, I'd rather not breathe in harmful vapours.
I have some vegetable glycerine which I use as part of my airbrush cleaner fluid, and I think car antifreeze contains the PG and water. I will try a mix sometime and see if it works.
The smoker unit in my tank, is basically a wire wound resistor wrapped in a piece of glass cloth. I imagine mineral based fluid would probably gum this up eventually. These units (Heng Long) are available for about £10, and I have seen mods replacing the motorised air pump with a small fan from a computer. A Google of that might be of interest to you re the pressure and flow.

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:34 am

What about the liquid/oil from the Vap smoking things?
Never enough time...........

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:36 am

Way too expensive!

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:45 am

Hi ,,,,,you could try dapols smoke oil that has been developed for their black label range ,I have one of these locos and I'm using that oil ,I think it would be just what your after ,take a look on dapols website,,mjb

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”