Hornby's next great thing.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Hornby's next great thing.

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Is this going to revive Hornby's sales?
Link
I think not.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

allan

Re: Hornby's next great thing.

Postby allan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Made in Hong Kong?

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Free toddler running in circles trying to catch the bloody thing to stop it included?
And those track tabs look about as sturdy as Hornby platform tabs. I can see that lasting for, ooh, about 5 minutes after it's opened on xmas morn. :lol:
Thanks ....but no thanks.
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:54 pm

I see two problems with this just like all the other stuff made like this in the 70's, which used to be made in Hongkong when I was a nipper,
1, flimsy feeble plastic track,
2, the batteries,
we got all sorts of stuff like this at christmas, from racing car sets, to robots, and flying saucer, and the batteries lasted about 10-15 minutes, and taking them apart to put new ones in usually broke the plastic clips that held it together, then it was put aside, and inevitably chucked in the toy box until the batteries leaked, then it went in the bin, as usual, a good idea, badly carried out.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Don't know as it's even a good idea. It's a simple stand alone toy with no obvious lead to future further sales. Similar stuff is routinely available from the likes of Argos, some of the supermarket chains and even Poundstretcher. I think anyone buying it because of the Hornby name is going to be disappointed, and that won't be good for sales of their main products. Hornby seem to survive despite the best efforts of their management.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Marklin do a similar product range, which has quite a few items in it.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Streaks and Teaks wrote:Marklin do a similar product range, which has quite a few items in it.

Marklin version has points and, more importantly, IR control for the loco.
Hornby is way behind the wave, here.
(Drowning, not waving?)

Better at the technology level, and almost certainly more fun for toddler+ age kids would be the Faller hit Train, Playtrain miniPlaytrain range.
That used track or trackside levers to start and stop trains or make them change direction.
Sized for Playmobil figures and accessories, too.

"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:39 pm

bufferstop
Don't know as it's even a good idea.
I disagree, anything that gets youngsters interested in models of any kind is a good idea, I just remember how badly carried out products lead to disappointment, not just for me, but my parents and siblings as well, we were really not well off when I was a kid, and most of the big items to us were stocking fillers for most other kids in my class, my grandfather usually saved christmas by visiting us, and giving each child a prezzi that my parents could in no way afford, thats when I first got a second hand clockwork goods train set, great until the spring went, but it was another 8 years until I bought my own second-hand trains from a school friend with my paper round money, but I think I always had an interest in trains because 30 feet from our caravan (where we lived from age 5-9) was a train line, that served ICI, and the power station, and the local station, but as I said the battery stuff just never worked out well.

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:00 pm

I doubt it will save Hornby but my young Great Grandson would love it, these days not all parents are in a financial position to buy a propper set which the prices have gone through the roof, I think Hornby have made a good move with this affordable train for kids.
Regards
Nobby

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:31 pm

Emettman wrote:
Streaks and Teaks wrote:Marklin do a similar product range, which has quite a few items in it.

Marklin version has points and, more importantly, IR control for the loco.
Hornby is way behind the wave, here.
(Drowning, not waving?)

Better at the technology level, and almost certainly more fun for toddler+ age kids would be the Faller hit Train, Playtrain miniPlaytrain range.
That used track or trackside levers to start and stop trains or make them change direction.
Sized for Playmobil figures and accessories, too.

Indeed plus many other accessories with play value.
That Called System looks nice. Am guessing its cheaper than the actual Playmobil range? (The old LGB tracked ones go for silly money now)

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:42 pm

Cheap rubbish intended just to amuse the young ones on Christmas Day or until the batteries discharge. Junk like this is seen everywhere in those $2.00 shops and stalls at markets. Most likely a cheap Chinese sourced toy rebranded.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:03 am

Every year there's some unbranded similar things, both steam and diesel outline to this for sale in the likes of B&M and Home Bargains ETC for less than a 1/4 of the price. I really don't see this cutting much mustard with young families on a tight budget.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:23 am

Streaks and Teaks wrote:[Am guessing its cheaper than the actual Playmobil range? (The old LGB tracked ones go for silly money now)

I'm not up on the Playmobil range, except that for my garden I have some of the OLD Playmobil motor blogs hoarded against future need.
The R/C version worked quite well but was too easily broken.
I built this for the children's ward at my local hospital:

It was popular but needed regular visits to swap in/out repaired/broken locos and stock.
Also near G, I have a sack full of broken Sylvanian Families houses/shops for a project I've not yet got round to.

On toy railways for younger ones, Matchbox might have had a success (1991-1992) but it was mucked up by a few problems not ironed out before (rushed?) production.

Chris.

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:39 pm

That's a nice build.
Previously unfamiliar with the Matchbox system. The 91 and road switcher set looks as if they wanted multiple markets with minimal effect =p

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Streaks and Teaks wrote: Previously unfamiliar with the Matchbox system.

It's pretty gremlin-laden straight from the box, but can be made to work, chiefly with some track fettling to improve clearances.
The longer wheelbase express loco, however, can't handle all the tighter curves especially across the points. Major cock-up.

To get best control you need to add extra "signal" locations, so it's a matter of buying several part or broken sets to make up one decent one.

I've shown this at a few exhibitions and kids and adults alike have loved it, now that it does (more or less) what it was supposed to.

Chris.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”