Weathering Services

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Sails

Weathering Services

Postby Sails » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:33 pm

If you get it done, where? I was sending my stock to www.theweatheringworks.co.uk (Scott Illingworth) but he doesnt seem to be answering communications anymore. I have now made a query with www.gclocoweathering.co.uk but they have waiting list of 8-10 weeks and have booked a slot with them.

Regards,

Mark

smeghead28

Re: Weathering Services

Postby smeghead28 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:05 pm

The one loco I bought the other day I got ready weathered from TMC.
Personally I wouldn't buy an unweathered loco now unless it was cheap, cant see the point in buying it first then sending it to someone for the best part of 2 months.
I even resisted buying a couple of wagons the other day cause they were pristine ;)

Sails

Postby Sails » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:31 pm

I have also used TMC for weathered items bought from their online store but found it can be hit and miss the quality. I have light weathered carriages that look no different from a heavily weathered loco. For light weathering job OK =but for anything else I would prefer go elsewhere.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:49 pm

You want the operation with the 'impossible' waiting list. Those who are good at this subtle art quickly develop a lengthy list of customers, to the extent of turning away new customers for lack of capacity and asking not to be recommended to others...

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm

I have also had mixed experiences with TMC, got some wagons which look stunning & promoted me to get a loco from them as well but it runs like a pig - its because the wheels and pickups etc got caked in paint when they weathered it and they didn't clean it :twisted:

Its still not 100%, i really need to strip it down and give it a good clean, I got it just as we moved however so i was without a layout for months and didn't get around to testing it when i first got it otherwise i would have sent it back. It looks good but its spoilt with the poor running.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I've had 3 locos weathered by TMC. Very satisfied with all 3. There's some pictures on my thread of the 3 locos. It's what TMC class as their 'heavy weathering'. All 3 are running really well.
The first 2 (4F and Jinty) I took to the Peterboro show in October last year then picked them up at the Warley show 5 weeks later. The 3rd one (3F) I gave it to them at the Warley show and it was returned by post in less than 2 weeks. I guess the turn round time is dependant on how busy they are. To post locos to them and have them returned by post adds £10 to the price. I totally agree with smeghead28 about buying ready weathered locos from TMC.

I think I'll have a few more locos weathered by them in the future.

Link to my thread :-
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48988&start=165

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Probably not the answer you are looking for but why not get a few old Triang wagons and try practicing on them so you could do it yourself in the future? Painting is just one of the many skills we learn as a Railway Modeller but only if you take the plunge and try... :)

davidone

Postby davidone » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 pm

I am no expert in weathering but I do it myself and results are great. I use watered down acrylic paint and powder paint or chalk. The best part if you don't like it wipe it off, of course before you set it with the likes of dull coat or something similar and start over.

As the other poster stated get some cheap cars and practice, you will be surprised how easy it really is.

Dave

Sails

Postby Sails » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 pm

I would like to try but I have all the artistic talents of a empty tin of mushy peas. Plus I know I would never be happy with what I do, I prefer seeing what others can offer and avail of their services.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 am

Your choice but if you change your mind there's plenty of help on the 'net in the way of videos and plenty of photos for inspiration, you're not doing a Constable or Turner remember!

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:45 pm

try http://www.grimytimes.co.uk/ . bit heavy on the weathering for their off the shelf locos for my taste, but it may be what you are looking for?

John Geeeee
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”