Teddy bears picnic, or not, class 14 woes

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Dugie Diesel

Teddy bears picnic, or not, class 14 woes

Postby Dugie Diesel » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Last year i bought myself an Heljan class 14 and its a lovely model but ive spent as much time fixing it i have running it :( First off i fitted washers to the axles to stop it waddling down the track, snapped the steps off, refixed them, snapped them off again, lol. Then out of the blue it stopped running right which turned out to be the pickups in the end, it was a job and a half to figure out how to get to them because i didn't get any assembly instructions and there seems to be very little online for the Heljan stuff. Anyway i got it running perfect again after a load of faffing so i thought i would fit the detail parts, brakes, sand box's etc, bad move, now it wont run right again because they are fouling the wheels making it jerk along the track, bah. Anyone else had a fouling issue with these and what did you do to fix it? I did try bending them out a bit but they just came off again (superglue doesn't stick well to the plastic) Also does anyone know where can i find some headcode's for it, mine were missing from the box?
Don't mess with my Choo Choo.......

GeraldH

Re: Teddy bears picnic, or not, class 14 woes

Postby GeraldH » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 pm

I know exactly what you mean. It's a nice looking and potentially very useful loco, but it has so many niggling problems. I've also spent hours fidding with a crankpin that was not correctly installed, NEM pockets at the wrong height, a jackshaft flopping excessively from side to side, steps that fall off and unreliable pickups. If only someone other than Heljan had made this model...

I have not installed the detailing on the chassis, as I have some 1st radius curves and I could see that this was going to restrict the sideplay in the wheels. If you have 1st or 2nd radius curves, it might be easiest just to remove the extra detailing.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:03 am

EVERYONE knocks the steps off the 14!!!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:19 am

Such a shame that Hattons had this loco done. We would have had a Bachmann one instead, at the time half the price as well, and it would have worked too....

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:59 pm

dubdee1000 wrote:EVERYONE knocks the steps off the 14!!!

Yep. Add me to the list.
Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”