The Anthony Adler collection, auction

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Allegheny1600

The Anthony Adler collection, auction

Postby Allegheny1600 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Hello All,
Just a heads up really. Anthony (Tony) Adler RIP, was a very keen collector of model railway items, mainly in H0 scale European but with a very eclectic range of tastes so there were examples from all over the world including the better models from the UK (Golden Age models etc).
I happened across this collection purely by chance while I was looking for information on early German electric locos and I must say, it was an enormous collection. Truly a case of "he who dies with the most toys, wins"! Of which the corollary is "He who dies with the most toys, still dies".
Anyway, I attempted to win a couple of nice Trix items, a multi axle 'Schnabel wagon" being one, also bidding on a Rivarossi "Blauer Enzian" set for my dear colleague D and I watched many other items to see what they may go for, purely out of curiosity. D persuaded me to put a much higher bid on than I would have done but, he really, really wanted this set so we agreed to match the price such sets were going for on German ebay.
Much to our great surprise and disappointment, all our bids were surpassed! Someone was out there, bidding like crazy to win as many items as possible.
Now, I can stand losing, despite the surprise of losing what I considered to be a very fair bid indeed however;

Is it a co-incidence that noticeable items are turning up on ebay already, from that well known ebay shop from Sheffield? Such items have vastly inflated prices compared with available items from Europe! Obviously, I can't say "don't buy from them"! But I can advise anyone wanting such things to check availability from Europe too as even with postage charges, such things can work out a LOT cheaper.
Just a fair warning!
John.

Bigmet

Re: The Anthony Adler collection, auction

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 am

Just business isn't it? Someone is confident that they can shift the stuff to buyers who prefer or are accustomed or most comfortable trading with him, despite smaller prices available elsewhere. Long ago gave up trying to make sense of such things.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:31 am

Allegheny1600 wrote:Such items have vastly inflated prices compared with available items from Europe! .

That is also normal, I have been modelling Continental Railways for many years now and only tend to buy from Mainland Europe due to the price inflation for anything Continental by shops and other traders in the UK...

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Allegheny1600 wrote:Hello All,
Just a heads up really. Anthony (Tony) Adler RIP, was a very keen collector of model railway items, mainly in H0 scale European but with a very eclectic range of tastes so there were examples from all over the world including the better models from the UK (Golden Age models etc).
I happened across this collection purely by chance while I was looking for information on early German electric locos and I must say, it was an enormous collection. Truly a case of "he who dies with the most toys, wins"! Of which the corollary is "He who dies with the most toys, still dies".
Anyway, I attempted to win a couple of nice Trix items, a multi axle 'Schnabel wagon" being one, also bidding on a Rivarossi "Blauer Enzian" set for my dear colleague D and I watched many other items to see what they may go for, purely out of curiosity. D persuaded me to put a much higher bid on than I would have done but, he really, really wanted this set so we agreed to match the price such sets were going for on German ebay.
Much to our great surprise and disappointment, all our bids were surpassed! Someone was out there, bidding like crazy to win as many items as possible.
Now, I can stand losing, despite the surprise of losing what I considered to be a very fair bid indeed however;

Is it a co-incidence that noticeable items are turning up on ebay already, from that well known ebay shop from Sheffield? Such items have vastly inflated prices compared with available items from Europe! Obviously, I can't say "don't buy from them"! But I can advise anyone wanting such things to check availability from Europe too as even with postage charges, such things can work out a LOT cheaper.
Just a fair warning!
John.

I've become very suspicious of R of S sales on ebay lately. They sell some terrible junk at over inflated prices, and people buy them without even making an offer? Sorry but I don't believe it. I think there's some shenanigans going on to try and inflate the second hand market. Just pick any model and look at the prices they have fetched. There's a huge difference between R of S prices achieved and everybody elses prices. Stinks if you ask me.

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:50 am

The answer (as has been said before) is not to buy at a price that is too high. It is worth bearing in mind that second-hand models might not be quite so good as newly made stuff in terms of running, detail, and absence of wear and tear. My impression is that consumer rights are stronger (or at least, easier to enforce) for new products. For instance, I would be interested in a Dapol OO Terrier in Maunsel green (made about 1989/1990) to go with my Hornby one. There is a shop in Sheffield (neither R of S nor the place that sells nice track and hand-made points) that has one advertised for about £89. Of course, they can ask what they like, but it is up to me to decide whether I pay that price, or think scornful thoughts.

senorsenales

Postby senorsenales » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:18 am

Having been to our local auction house for their bi-annual railway auction I was quite shocked at some prices being achieved, and also at some really quality items that achieved peanuts. Good job I was sitting down as the price of some early tinplate went through the roof, and amazed at some quality kit built loco's in P4 were achieving less than three figures.

It is like all things, pay what you think it is worth and once it goes past it move on to the next one. Age has taught me that if you don't get it the first time it is because you weren't intended to have it, and another will come along at another time.

Interestingly at that auction the tinplate was going to members of the older generation whose relatives, within twenty years, will be organising the same sort of sale mentioned here and the only person who truly gained was the seller this time round. Memories of childhood can be a strong pull but I can't see items nearly a hundred years old, and in poor condition, achieving those sort of prices in years to come. I just could not see where the value is in some well past 'played with' condition can achieve something approaching four figures, but somebody did.

Depends on which side of the fence you are on. A garden bench, bought in kit form from the local garden centre more than doubled in price having been put together and put in a local car boot ala Bargain Hunt and people were fighting over it when it came to the auction. Very, very easy to get swept along with the fever of the moment.

Allegheny1600

Postby Allegheny1600 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 pm

D605Eagle wrote: I've become very suspicious of R of S sales on ebay lately. They sell some terrible junk at over inflated prices, and people buy them without even making an offer? Sorry but I don't believe it. I think there's some shenanigans going on to try and inflate the second hand market. Just pick any model and look at the prices they have fetched. There's a huge difference between R of S prices achieved and everybody elses prices. Stinks if you ask me.

THANK YOU!!
I'm so pleased that you have noticed this! It is called "Shill bidding"* and I reported them to ebay for it, quite a while ago. Ebay's response? They couldn't find any evidence of this!
Of course, if individual employees are bidding up the prices on their home computers (they wouldn't be stupid enough to do it from work?), then they will drive prices up and be on different IP's - but the trend will be a lot of the same IP's bidding and possibly retracting bids.
But, evilbay don't really care as they get more commission.

All I can say is - if you want something from wherever, set your price, don't go over it, don't get carried away and be happy to walk away if you're outbid.
Cheers,
John.

*It is illegal, fraudulent and against ebay's official policies.

RFS

Postby RFS » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:10 pm

But surely all R of S items are "buy it now" prices, so how can shill bidding be involved?
Robert Smith

Allegheny1600

Postby Allegheny1600 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Maybe they don't do bidding now, they certainly used to!
OK, so if they don't do bidding any more then it really is up to the buying public, all I have tried to do is to make people aware they are not squeaky clean.
Cheers,
John.

PS Gostude (Gosturd!), Mr Sud, Veracity and many others - I lump them all as charlatans.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:57 pm

RFS wrote:But surely all R of S items are "buy it now" prices, so how can shill bidding be involved?

Its buy it now, but with make an offer. Just look how many items sell without making an offer, things that are virtually worthless or broken at hugely inflated prices. Its all to do with conditioning the market into accepting higher prices, and for them it works. Like Allegheny says ebay couldn't give a damn as long as they get their share of the profits.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:03 pm

While I am aware that RoS does these days charge much higher prices on used goods than two years previous, I find that they are more amenable to accepting reasonable offers (around 10% less) these days. I have never had a complaint with the store and never questioned their business practice. They price their goods and extend the courtesy of an offer. It is up to the buyer to decide what he is prepared to pay.

jaym481

Postby jaym481 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:31 am

GWR_fan wrote:While I am aware that RoS does these days charge much higher prices on used goods than two years previous, I find that they are more amenable to accepting reasonable offers (around 10% less) these days. I have never had a complaint with the store and never questioned their business practice. They price their goods and extend the courtesy of an offer. It is up to the buyer to decide what he is prepared to pay.

I agree. I haven't had occasion to buy from them for over a year, but I found I could get a decent offer in and have it accepted if I called them off ebay. Part of me wonders if that's their aim by pricing used items so high (often at or near prices when new). If someone pays thier asking, wonderful, but if they make the sale off ebay, because it's 'advertised elsewhere" (i.e. their own website) they can afford to shave the price some as they don't have the fees to pay.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”