Superglue not sticking

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
dan8400

Superglue not sticking

Postby dan8400 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:21 am

Hi

I am trying to add extra wheel pickups to a hornby class 43 hst. I have some phosphor bronze strips. I am trying to glue them onto the inside of the bogie frame to rub on the wheels but they will not stick with superglue. I am using loctite gel. I wonder if the gel is the problem? Or are these materials not suitable for gluing?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

ElDavo

Re: Superglue not sticking

Postby ElDavo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:34 am

Admittedly super glue will stick almost anything to anything but it could be that you are using too much glue. You need the merest smear of glue as super glue will not stick to itself!

Might not be the right glue for the job. I would be looking at using an epoxy glue myself. I would probably solder the phosphor bronze to some PCB strip and then glue the Paxolin or Fibre board backing of the PCB strip to the bogey.

Cheers
Dave

allan

Postby allan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:38 am

What is the bogie sideframe made of? If it is of Delrin or other similar engineering plastic, then conventional superglue will not work.

Here, in the Antipodes, we do have a superglue product that does work, and I'd be astonished if such a product is not available in the Old Dart.

http://www.selleys.com.au/adhesives/hou ... tics-glue/

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks Dave

Good advice. I'll give both a go. I have some stripboard. Not sure if I have any epoxy left. Will have a look.

Also, may be a tight fit to get stripboard in. But I won't know 'til I try

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Allan

I do not know the type of plastic, sorry. It is whatever hornby made the bogie out of on a class 43. Maybe someone else will know.

Screws would work but I'm not sure I could find any small enough (I certainly don't have any)

My phosphor bronze strips are only 2mm wide

Thanks
Dan

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:36 am

Last move, there is always the perfect superglue catalyst: skin,

This is not recommended but it really works.
Discovered, of course, by accident.
A really thin sliver of balsa has almost as good an effect.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:44 am

You may need to use a super glue accelerant to get it to stick on difficult materials. It's the sort of stuff double glazing installers use on upvc to fix the trim pieces in place. Any decent model shop or hobby store should have it. It makes the super glue set instantly where it otherwise wouldn't. I use it to re-fit detail parts to models when the parts fall off. As others have said though, araldite is probably a better choice in this instance.
Example

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:54 am

Try cutting a sliver of spray masking tape to the desired width and length, applying it to the strip and then applying just enough of the super glue to that.

allan

Postby allan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:17 pm

It seems as Loctite has an appropriate glue in its range. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_pls ... System.htm

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:47 pm

dan8400 wrote:...Screws would work but I'm not sure I could find any small enough (I certainly don't have any)

My phosphor bronze strips are only 2mm wide...

Dan, everyone finds their own way in these sort of arrangements. My preference is make a plate bracket from thin sheet metal suitably shaped - and often bent - to fit the site, so that the plate reaches locations where a couple of small self tapping screws will secure. (I get the screws mainly as salvage from 'any old stuff'; scrap electronics and photographic gear is a good source, as are clapped Bachmann split chassis mechs and other worn out model railway items.)

With the mounting plate located, it easy to mark up the positon where the wiper strip will be soldered on, then remove and solder on. Such a mounting plate also provides a good attachment point for the connecting wire, which quite often it is useful to place at some other location than right on the pick up wiper strip.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:14 pm

Emettman wrote:Last move, there is always the perfect superglue catalyst: skin,

Sodium bicarbonate sets superglue instantly into a very hard fillet. Great for filling or providing extra mechanical strength. I think it works better on the thin glue rather than the gel though.
Regards
Rob

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:25 pm

The bogie plastic will have a shiny gloss surface. This needs to be buffed up with a file or sanding paper as well as thoroughly cleaning the contact area on the 2 mm strip as brass usually has an oily surface. The 2 mm metal strip is quite thin for the glue to work. Are you able to solder the strip to a slightly larger piece of brass or copper to increase the glued surface area. I regularly superglue pickup strips to Lima plastic bogies and these are an engineering type plastic. I feel the 2 mm strip contact area is too small.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Ironduke wrote:Sodium bicarbonate sets superglue instantly into a very hard fillet. Great for filling or providing extra mechanical strength. I think it works better on the thin glue rather than the gel though.

Agreed. I've used that when I wanted strength and volume, or to help glue set in a "poor fit" situation.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:49 pm

In these situations I rough up the surface of the plastic with a glass fibre pencil and encase the phosphor bronze collector in a blob of Araldite. Give it overnight to cure before testing it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:36 am

Thank you to everyone for all the advice and suggestions.

I'll get some better glue (awaiting delivery) and I will try some more surface area and roughing up the bogie plastic (very shiny and smooth).

I can solder, so I will look at what I can solder the strips to. I have some stripboard, but this may be too thick.

I'll have a play and let you all know how it goes

Thanks
Dan

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”