Video Camera Locos

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GeraldH

Video Camera Locos

Postby GeraldH » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:53 am

I've just by chance come across this promotional video of Roco locomotives with a built in video camera that transmits images, via wifi, to a screen. It looks like you might even be able to control the loco using a touchscreen, so you really are the driver :) .

I've no connection with the company, but it looks like a vision of the future. I've never had any intention of going DCC, but this might even convert me. Something for Hornby to jump on perhaps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kioLZSwQq8
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Flashbang

Re: Video Camera Locos

Postby Flashbang » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:07 am

Lovely idea and piece of kit, especially as the camera inside the cab moves with the loco turning.
But at $429 US (Around £340 GBP) I'll give it a miss I think. :( :(
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:08 am

someones found the effects section in the video editor :lol:

I think it looks brilliant! would love the real time view costs a bit however $429.00 :(

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:15 pm

As clever as it is expensive......but is IS very clever :)
There are some video vans on the market for around £70-80 but I don't know if they transmit the video and theres nothing like that simulated drivers cab on them.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:24 pm

ROCO have been producing video capable loco's for more than 2 years, available in UK for £400, plus this one now http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details ... de=RC51248 is a bit cheaper!
Me, being me, (inventive and a cheapskate), I have just purchased this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-1080P-Sp ... 2749.l2649 and will have a play!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:49 pm

A camera in the boiler of an 00 loco isn't much of a struggle, either the transmitter or a micro SD card could go in the tender and push it as a double header, using off the shelf kit. You should just about get it in for a quid or two less. Only really needed though if you are running it during an exhibition. Saw a nice trick the other day, part of my son's in service training is learning what it's like to drive their latest models. He works for JLR, so appeared outside our house in the top of the range Range Rover. As well as the rear view camera, you get a twenty feet above aerial view for checking you are between the lines when parking. It's clever, a tiny camera in each door mirror gives an image of the ground along side. A matching still shot of the car from above is craftily placed over them. Your own virtual drone shot.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Funny you should say that, a friend works for R&D at JLR and was telling me about a true 180 degree vision capability turning the door and windscreen pillars into screens with external cameras so nobody is ever hidden in a blind spot. I fear technology has left me wayyyy behind. I feel like a dinosaur! :lol:

Gordon H

Postby Gordon H » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 pm

D605Eagle wrote:Funny you should say that, a friend works for R&D at JLR and was telling me about a true 180 degree vision capability turning the door and windscreen pillars into screens with external cameras so nobody is ever hidden in a blind spot.

I was involved in a similar scheme a few years ago on a military digger. Although the principle sounds simple, getting it to look correct to the driver is far from easy, as the external cameras clearly cannot be placed where his/her head is positioned, so the field of regard is different. Considerable image flexing and stretching would be required to make it appear anything like transparent to the user.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Flashbang wrote:Lovely idea and piece of kit, especially as the camera inside the cab moves with the loco turning.
But at $429 US (Around £340 GBP) I'll give it a miss ...

As with all such developments, the price will come down in time - if it wins enough of a market to justify competitive entries - and the feature set will increase. The desirable additional control in the simulated cab would be the 'next point change button' or perhaps more ambitious, the route setting selector (you are in a cab that also has the signalman's functionality available...). You could foreseeably operate your layout- or indeed other online accessible layouts - remotely.

Gordon H wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:Funny you should say that, a friend works for R&D at JLR and was telling me about a true 180 degree vision capability turning the door and windscreen pillars into screens with external cameras so nobody is ever hidden in a blind spot.

I was involved in a similar scheme a few years ago on a military digger. Although the principle sounds simple, getting it to look correct to the driver is far from easy, as the external cameras clearly cannot be placed where his/her head is positioned, so the field of regard is different. Considerable image flexing and stretching would be required to make it appear anything like transparent to the user.

For road users in private cars, better to skip all that complication and invest the development money in progress toward self driving autonomous vehicles? No need to look out unless you want to see the view.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Bigmet wrote:For road users in private cars, better to skip all that complication and invest the development money in progress toward self driving autonomous vehicles? No need to look out unless you want to see the view.

I've seen a few documentaries about this lately and one major problem at the moment is latency, the time it takes for the sensors pick up an obsticle and then react to it.

As a side note on the wifi camera loco, my inquisitve mind wonders if the signal can be sent to those new (3d?) googles you can wear to see what the camera sees. A bit of a novelty I admit but they have been working for drone flyers. I have even had a go myself and they are much better than flying by line of sight.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:00 pm

End2end wrote:
Bigmet wrote:....
As a side note on the wifi camera loco, my inquisitve mind wonders if the signal can be sent to those new (3d?) googles you can wear to see what the camera sees. A bit of a novelty I admit but they have been working for drone flyers. I have even had a go myself and they are much better than flying by line of sight.
Thanks
End2end

I could imagine the shock if you did, then forget that coach you left on the route that is set, as you hurtle towards a certain pile up!! :D

Seriously though, I cannot see this as any more than an expensive gimmick, something that can be easily done by propelling a wagon with one of these cheap Ebay USB video cameras mounted on-board.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

IanM558

Postby IanM558 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Bufferstop wrote:A camera in the boiler of an 00 loco isn't much of a struggle, either the transmitter or a micro SD card could go in the tender and push it as a double header, using off the shelf kit. You should just about get it in for a quid or two less. Only really needed though if you are running it during an exhibition. Saw a nice trick the other day, part of my son's in service training is learning what it's like to drive their latest models. He works for JLR, so appeared outside our house in the top of the range Range Rover. As well as the rear view camera, you get a twenty feet above aerial view for checking you are between the lines when parking. It's clever, a tiny camera in each door mirror gives an image of the ground along side. A matching still shot of the car from above is craftily placed over them. Your own virtual drone shot.

Doesn't have to be top of the range luxury cars to have that, our 4 year old Nissan Qashqai has the same feature :)
OO Gauge layout in the shed - "Shedford"
Construction - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50500
https://www.flickr.com/photos/imulford/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Loco mounted cameras, a steered camera hidden in the lighting rig and others at strategic viewing points around an exhibition layout feeding a number of VR headsets may prove to be an answer to the perennial problem of ensuring a good view for wheelchair users. Even at current prices it wouldn't be beyond a large club.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:21 pm

I saw this small wireless camera used in RC drone circles. All it needs is a 3.7v - 5v supply. Choose one of 40 channels via a DIL switch on the back. Around the £20 mark. Other camera versions use a smaller aerial.
Attachments
wireless cam (Copy).jpg
wireless cam (Copy).jpg (21.94 KiB) Viewed 695 times

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”