Hattons Dispatch times

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
rosenblad

Re: Hattons Dispatch times

Postby rosenblad » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:06 am

Metadyneman, that really bothers me too! My guess is that they have an agreement with the Royal Mail about standard box sizes.
Carpe Diem!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 am

Depends whether you are using letter post or Parcel Farce, small items are a menace in amongst packages. The only thing we have failed to receive recently was a USB thumb drive, scanned in the back of the van but failed to make it to our front door along with a signed for package.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:28 am

Metadyneman wrote:One thing I have found a little peculiar with Hattons though is on several occasions (slightly off topic but..), I have ordered a Bachmann 21 pin decoder and each time, just 1 decoder is sent in a huge box which is way too big for the contents. Although it is well padded out with air pillows, it seems a little extravagant for just one tiny decoder no bigger than a postage stamp to be sent in a 8"x 4" box!! A padded bag would do for a decoder and it would negate the need for a trip to the delivery office to collect it the next day as well!

It depends what contract Hattons (and others) have with the Post Office (letters or parcels). Their contract could be (and I think it is,) they have to post a certain amount of items per week and they would pay a cheaper price per item. Therefore to make sure they achieve that weekly total the items are sent separately.

Other companies have a contract with a courier whereby they pay a flat rate per item (£5.95 for example). Therefore, whether the item is small or large the fee is the same.

Glencairn
Last edited by glencairn on Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

railsquid

Postby railsquid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:37 pm

I found turnaround times after their move earlier this year went up a bit for a while, but my latest order was shipped within 24 hours. Still waiting for it to arrive though but that's normal for this part of the world. I do find Hattons packages are much less likely to attract the avaricious attention of the local customs'n'excise compared to other UK retailers.

Regarding "local" model shops, even when I lived in the UK (and this was back in the days of "send in your order by mail with a cheque and allow 28 days for delivery") I ordered a fair bit of stuff from Hattons as there was no model shop easily accessible with the means of transport available to me at the time.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Todays way of the world I ordered it today why wasn't here yesterday . Everybody forgets that theirs is not the only order being dealt with and that there are only 24 hours in a day

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:44 pm

With the DCC encoder packaging, one of those thick cardboard envelopes would seem the ideal solution, just like those Amazon like to use for a single DVD or similar.

Small enough not to seem silly, but tough enough to protect, and large enough not to go missing.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:58 am

Hattons have emailed their usual newsletter but this one has 'last postage dates' for Christmas:

Christmas Postage Dates

Today (Tuesday 20th December by Midday) is the final recommended posting day for our Standard £2 postage if you want to get your parcel before Christmas.
If you're thinking of placing an order, get it in ASAP to make sure it arrives with you in time for the big day!

We also have the following deadlines for our other postage options:

Standard £4 postage - Wednesday 21st December by 10am
£7 & £9 Next Day postage - Thursday 22nd December by 10am

If you've got any questions then don't hesitate to get in touch via phone or email.

this does all assume they dispatch it the same day

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:14 am

I purchased two items 13/12, received the picking list email on 14/12. Item arrived this morning half a world away, downunder, 22/12. Given the number of packages being sent at this time of year plus the current reputation for slow service from our own post office, I certainly have no problem. Several items purchased yesterday from the store I received the picking list email within hours.

BritInTexas

Postby BritInTexas » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:05 pm

GWR_fan wrote:I purchased two items 13/12, received the picking list email on 14/12. Item arrived this morning half a world away, downunder, 22/12. Given the number of packages being sent at this time of year plus the current reputation for slow service from our own post office, I certainly have no problem. Several items purchased yesterday from the store I received the picking list email within hours.

Unfortunately, I do have a problem. I received the picking list on Dec. 1st but no package delivered yet. Totally my own fault for not at least selecting the "sign for" option but all previous orders have arrived this side of the pond with no problems at all. This one, with my new loco, has chosen to go missing. Hattons say that Royal Mail won't look into it until it's been missing at least 26 days so all I can do is wait and hope it turns up. No reflection on Hattons, though.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:42 pm

The postage time that I quoted above is not relevant to all my recent UK purchases. Several items from Sheffield are either still intransit after a month or just received. Postage times from the UK can be a matter of just days or up to six weeks for airmail postage. Every time I purchase from the West Country delivery times seem to take at least four to five weeks without exception.

I do feel your concern regarding the extended postage time as I believed that shipping across the Atlantic was but a matter of days, not weeks.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:47 pm

Royal mail do have a problem with things getting "stuck in corners" I had a package containing a hard disk drive, sent next day recorded. The tracking system recorded each of the stages of its journey with the time it arrived and left the depot until it arrived at our local mail centre and 04:00 next day. And there it stayed until someone looked in the corner it was hiding in and put it out for delivery three days later.
Fortunately I had screen shots of the reported progress, which I forwarded to the senders who refunded me the next day delivery charge, sent me a £10 voucher for future orders and delivered a right royal rollicking to Parcel Farce, (they copied me in).

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:57 pm

John,
with our local post office system the worst thing that they did on a corporate level was to provide tracking information on every package, no matter how small. I regularly send out packages and occasionally need to get the post office to sort out slow deliveries. It is comical watching packages travel through the process of being delivered. I had one package delivered to me after criss-crossing our continent four times, a distance of about 10,000 miles. Now given that each time it came to my local distribution facility before continuing its cross country holiday, I could have walked to the facility to pick it up, but the post office thought it needed a couple more long distance trips.

We have packages for delivery within my state travel interstate, return to the point of origin and then continue their journey to their ultimate destination. When I have questioned a help desk assistant about the business model of racking up the extra miles on each package's journey, her answer was that the distance travelled is irrelevant as long as the package arrives within the stated five working days. She also added that if tracking was not available then I would be none the wiser so what was my problem.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:02 am

Watch out for companies who send everything in the UK by one of the courier companies, Hermes is the worst, you should be able to tell by the delivery options they offer. Some of them try to economise on overseas deliveries by letting them accumulate until they can consolidate the packages into one making best use of the price steps.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:13 am

Bufferstop wrote:........................Some of them try to economise on overseas deliveries by letting them accumulate until they can consolidate the packages into one making best use of the price steps.

I believe that the eBay global shipping program does this. UK sellers post a purchase to a UK address. The receiving company then bags all the received items travelling to say, Sydney, Australia. The bag is then shipped to a postage distribution site in Australia where the individual packages inside are then posted using our domestic postal system. For a purchaser there is no advantage as the package is much more expensive, takes longer to get here and reading the fineprint one is unable to claim the full postage cost as a refund should a return be needed. The programme fineprint looks like a team of expensive U.S. lawyers prepared it.

Also odd is that apparently the UK seller has no idea how much his listing is actually charging the buyer for using his preferred postage option. If UK sellers actually investigated how much the global shipping programme cost the purchaser then perhaps they would opt out of using the system.

BritInTexas

Postby BritInTexas » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:20 pm

BritInTexas wrote:
GWR_fan wrote:I purchased two items 13/12, received the picking list email on 14/12. Item arrived this morning half a world away, downunder, 22/12. Given the number of packages being sent at this time of year plus the current reputation for slow service from our own post office, I certainly have no problem. Several items purchased yesterday from the store I received the picking list email within hours.

Unfortunately, I do have a problem. I received the picking list on Dec. 1st but no package delivered yet. Totally my own fault for not at least selecting the "sign for" option but all previous orders have arrived this side of the pond with no problems at all. This one, with my new loco, has chosen to go missing. Hattons say that Royal Mail won't look into it until it's been missing at least 26 days so all I can do is wait and hope it turns up. No reflection on Hattons, though.

Package, ironically marked "International Priority", arrived today Christmas Eve at 4pm. So all is well in my world again. I must learn to be more patient.

Merry Christmas to all.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”