Hattons Dispatch times

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
alex3410

Hattons Dispatch times

Postby alex3410 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:14 am

Hey guys,

I think Hattons are under it a bit with all of the Christmas orders, i placed an order with Hattons on Tuesday, paid for next day delivery as i wanted the bits for the weekend to start work on the layout, checked the order again today and its still not even been dispatched :( i can hope its just a delay in the status updates and it might be out for delivery today but Hattons are normally very good at keeping this updated. (and at shipping the same day normally)

so if you have any plans for Christmas projects order the bits ASAP!

i need a new excuse to get out of Christmas shopping this weekend now :lol:

trainlover23

Re: Hattons Dispatch times

Postby trainlover23 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:25 am

Why not shop locally instead of coming on here bleating that a mail order company did not deliver the goods you ordered today yeastreday :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:31 am

I'd ring them and ask what's happening. You've paid for next day service and should get it or a refund.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:55 am

i would, and actually would have preferred to as it would mean seeing some of the bits first which would have been really handy & would have loved to chat over my plans for some advice. But my nearest model shop is a two hour round trip! (and thats without the Christmas shopper traffic), i would love to have one closer.

Hattons are normally really good about turning things around quickly, i cant remember the last time i had an order not come out that day or the day after. I had not even considered that i wouldn't have the bits for this weekend and i am sure others have the same view, so a heads up might prompt them to order sooner and still get the bits in time for their projects. Its only going to get worse towards Christmas.

i know others are in the same position but working full time means i don't have allot of time to devote to the hobby, this means any time i can spare is precious.

@Roger (RJ) the trouble is they don't guarantee same / next day dispatch, so it will still be next day delivery just from the day they send it out.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:06 am

I have never paid for 'Next Day', but have also found Hatton's slowing up, more
or less since they changed their main premises.
I get a quicker turn around from Hereford and Rails now, but often it's finding who
has what you want in stock.

As far as trainlover23 's comments go, yes great if you have a good model shop within
a reasonable distance from you but MOST of us don't. What IS a reasonable distance ?
Do you think a 2 hour trip and two gallons of fuel to get a coach, or look through the
range of figures reasonable, then find they don't have what you're after ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:28 am

Whilst we are going off topic, I don't think you are right, Geoff, that there aren't shops within easy reach (seems now that less than 1 hour in a car is the red line!)...

I reckon most people DO have model railway shops within that timescale unless they live in the wilds of Wales and Scotland... The OP lives in Essex, according to UKModelshops there are 10 shops in Essex and to get from one side of Essex (Harlow) to the other (Harwich) will take 1hr 18mins according to Google, passing several shops en route...

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/county/Essex

However the key is that those model shops may not give the same discounts that the box shifters do and the price is more important than the location... I feel that Price is more important than location for most people in the UK...

Interestingly I needed to buy a box of Peco Mainline HOe track recently and after looking around at the box shifters I found that all three of my local shops could offer the box cheaper than the big boys, so one of them got the business... Sometimes it's best to shop around and not assume that the big boys offer the best deals... And I didn't have to wait or worry about anything getting lost in the post!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:49 am

I commented a couple of months ago on the slow timeframe from goods ordered to goods shipped and put it down to the Hornby firesale. It has improved since then.

As regards a 'local' hobby shop, simply having an address is no guarantee the shop will have the required item. Simply making a comment like buy from a local shop either implies the poster has a well stocked nearby store or is ignorant of the impact the internet has had on what stock a typical store these days will stock.

My nearest hobby store is almost an hour away across the city with bumper to bumper travel in both directions. These days I cannot guarantee that he will have a simple pot of Humbrol matte black paint, let alone even styrene glue. His store was once the major hobby store in a city of nearly 3 million people and if your hobby is model railways then it is pointless travelling there. Another store out in the western suburbs is about 90 minutes travelling time each way. While he may have a good stock of local Australian prototype and American stock, his supply of British railway items is negligible.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:00 am

My point was that most people don't even bother to check. I did and saved myself about a tenner. Box shifters aren't always the cheapest... I was also talking the UK, I know your circumstances are different! :)

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am

Yes, you are correct, most people think that a box shifter is their cheapest option. In the northern most part of Australia, almost up on Cape York in far north Queensland, is an excellent dealer, who while he cannot compete with the overseas box shifters on price, is able to provide not just an excellent range of Bachmann products, but by far is the friendliest, most courteous person that I have dealt with.

The nearest major city is several thousand kilometres away and yet he does his best to attract customers from all over Australia. A true gentleman.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:23 am

Happy for it to go off topics, it makes for an interesting discussion.

I do think Dad-1 is right however, it depends on each of us whats a reasonable distance (well in my case as i dont drive, it depends on what my wife thinks is a reasonable distance :lol: ).

The Harlow store is ~ an hour away, but its more of a wargame / model kit shop. The selection of railway items fills maybe less then 10% of the store and is mostly Hornby stuff. I used to live closer and popped in fairly regularly but its just not worth the trip now. I need a pack of flexi track and they only ever seemed to have a handful of lengths in stock at any one time. (I also found it very expensive, even in comparison to other shops - i used to get allot more stuff from another local shop in that area which has now unfortunately closed.)

The Braintree one, while a little closer means going on the A120 near Freeport, which can double the trip depending on traffic :roll: i have not been for awhile but last time i went it was focused on model kits and radio controlled.

Those two got discounted as i knew they would not have what i needed.

John Dutfield at Chelmsford is a fantastic shop and well worth a trip if your in the area, but its an hour each way for me now. I moved 2 1/2 years ago but before that it was only 30 minutes away and i would pop over around once a month. In the last 2 1/2 years i think i have been just once, get a fair bit from him at local model shows however. The prices can be mixed but the service is fantastic, they also have a decent ish sized second hand section.

My next nearest store is Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds, Its just under an hour each way and we had actually made plans to visit the other week for their Christmas market, we didn't go in the end due to not feeling well & without the Christmas market the town has nothing else to keep my other half happy :lol:

Local for me would be 30-40 minute drive each way, thats not to say i wouldn't go further but i cant justify an hours drive just for a model shop. If there are other things we want / need its not so much of an issue, a few months ago we went 2 1/2 hours each way to go to a leather shop but we also went to Ikea and shopping as well.

I just wish Cambridge had a model shop - its big enough, but even then Hobby Craft has stopped doing railway stuff all together and the only place i can get track is Hawkins and its Hornby set track only & even then very limited supply.

Before placing my order i did price it up elsewhere online but Hattons was the only one that had everything i wanted in stock, so even though it was more i was happy paying it thinking i would get it before the weekend. (even they didn't have everything, the switches i wanted for point motors are out of stock but didn't think i would need them this weekend so ordered elsewhere & can wait on those.)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 am

I'd gather you live in the vicinity of Cambridge? How does Stevenage work for you? There's a direct rail connection from Cambridge, and KS models a short walk from the Station. Akin to John Dutfield, the real thing as a traditional model railway shop albeit crammed into very small premises, well stocked, loads of 'bits and pieces', knowledgeable owner and staff.

There'll also be the CMRA show in the 'Gordon Craig' thing in January, literally across the platform from Stevenage station. Many of us very curious to see how this works out after what seemed like 'forever' in the awkward hall in Snorbens, which never prevented it being a very good show.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:23 am

alex3410 wrote:Hattons was the only one that had everything i wanted in stock

That. I'm lucky, I've got one very good model shop 5 minutes walk from my office (2 if I want Airfix kits rather than railways) and another twenty minutes drive from home (unless Bradford City are at home in which case it's been an hour on occasions !). But you take pot luck on stock levels with some ranges and I certainly wouldn't drive more than about ten miles on spec unless I could combine the trip with something else or I happened to be passing anyway.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:32 am

I have been there a few times, its a good old proper model shop! very helpful and friendly staff and a nice selection of bits, just a bit mixed on prices. I got my pair of pannier tanks from them at a decent price but then things like glue and paints would be 50% more then other shops in some cases.

They have a large selection of spares as well as a large second hand section, if only all model shops took after them!

I am in Saffron walden so would mean going up to Cambridge first and then back down again but its a really good idea, i hadn't considered getting the train over. We used to go out that way for a school scrap store for my wife and this was on the way so worked out for both of us :lol:

The only issue with the train is a return ticket will cost ~ £20, so while not a regular trip i like the idea

@Dave, i know but i placed the order on Tuesday so would have hoped it would have been dispatched by now.

@stuartp, rather jealous i have to say, would be incredibly handy being able to pop in for bits during my lunch hour! glue, paint etc. On the other hand it would be likely to dent my bank balance a bit :lol:

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Just got dispatch notice from Hattons so looks like Monday delivery at the earliest

have been running down to the door each time it goes hoping it was the order :lol:

ah well

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Hattons dispatch times IMO are nearly always slow - get far better service from others including Model Railways Direct and Kernow. As for not using a local model shop the problem is finding what you want in IME. I did a tour of a number of model shops, the nearest over 20 miles away, and returned home empty handed a couple of years back and since then have stuck to mail order as at least I know they have the items (until something is seriously wrong) and I save a lot of time and petrol in the process. What also annoyed me was the way the staff in one shop treated everyone as a potential shop lifter and took any attempt at a conversation as someone trying to distract them; it was not a pleasant shop browsing experience.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”