Fitting Hornby Class 47 tts sound to Bachmann 47

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mkrob

Fitting Hornby Class 47 tts sound to Bachmann 47

Postby mkrob » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm thinking of using a Hornby Class 47 tts sound decoder & speaker in my Bachmann 47. Has anyone on here done this?

mjb1961

Re: Fitting Hornby Class 47 tts sound to Bachmann 47

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi ,,,without me researching first I'm sure that your tts 47 was designed to have a speaker installed ,a lot of new locos from HORNBY are coming Sound Ready ,,,your Bachmann may or may not be Sound Ready ,I don't know ,only you will know when you look at the instructions or open her up ,but in answer to your question is Yes ,,,but the tts decoder will be a 8 pin ,your Bachmann could be a 21 pin ,,so you will need a adapter ,also you will need to find a suitable place for the speaker ,you should be able to do this quite easy providing there is enough space ,,,hope this helps ,,,mjb

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:46 pm

mjb1961 wrote:Hi ,,,without me researching first I'm sure that your tts 47 was designed to have a speaker installed ,a lot of new locos from HORNBY are coming Sound Ready ,,,your Bachmann may or may not be Sound Ready ,I don't know ,only you will know when you look at the instructions or open her up ,but in answer to your question is Yes ,,,but the tts decoder will be a 8 pin ,your Bachmann could be a 21 pin ,,so you will need a adapter ,also you will need to find a suitable place for the speaker ,you should be able to do this quite easy providing there is enough space ,,,hope this helps ,,,mjb

Hi mjb1961,
Perhaps I didn't explain my question very well. I don't own a Hornby 47tts, I'm just thinking of purchasing one or the the tts decoder & speaker to fit to my Bachmann 47 as a cheep option rather then pay the ridiculous prices for the full blown sound decoders (pun not intended). In other words I'm a cheapskate/poor old pensioner!!!

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi again ,,,,OK ,,but what I said earlier still applies really ,,I'm 100% sure the TTS decoder will be a 8 pin and your Bachmann will be a 21 pin ,if so you can buy a Bachmann 21 pin to 8 pin adapter ( @£3 )and providing there is enough room which I expect there is then it's a easy fit ,,,,before you buy the decoder ,check out the complete loco price because you could buy one ,remove the TTS decoder and then sell the loco as dcc ready like the others do ,,,anyway I hope I've helped ,,,good luck mjb

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Several here have done this conversion and the results have been iffy. The TTS installation relies on the acoustics of the weight the speaker is attached to to get any volume. You would possibly need to upgrade the speaker to get a reasonable result.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:51 pm

I had ordered a new Bachmann 47 and for some reason forgot to order the chip so I used an 8pin and an adapter. I found out that not all of the functions worked, so be prepared for the TTS to behave the same way. I think for the cost of buying a TTS loco I would spend the extra and get a proper sound decoder.
All Aboooooard !!

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:14 pm

GWR_fan wrote:Several here have done this conversion and the results have been iffy. The TTS installation relies on the acoustics of the weight the speaker is attached to to get any volume. You would possibly need to upgrade the speaker to get a reasonable result.

I was going to try a Zimo Dumbo speaker if the original speaker was not up to scratch but I'd be interested to hear from any one who's fitted them or retrofitted them. I know SLW fit them as standard to their sound loco's & they are exceptional,but they fit state of the art Zimo sound decoders with great sound files.

Thank's mjb1961,I can't decide which would best! Buying the tts47 or just the decoder & speaker.

Also thanks thebritfarmer. You only get what you pay for, but as I said elsewhere the price of the proper kit is ridiculous & the prices have gone up by at least £10 recently.
Perhaps silence is golden & I'll fit non-sound decoders.

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:34 pm

I think its common for people to buy tts locos, take out the decoder for use on another loco and sell the tts to a second hand retailer or eBay so it can be done I think.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”