scratchbuilding

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Jburr5085

scratchbuilding

Postby Jburr5085 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:29 am

I'm going to try and scratch build a wagon out of plastic card. I've made my designs to scale and I think, once the materials arrive, I'll be ready to go. Is there anything I've overlooked? (I'm a bit of a numpty and tend to make silly mistakes.) :?
JTB "I'll have a go but I must warn you that I am incompetent"

Bigmet

Re: scratchbuilding

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:12 am

If this is just the wagon body to go on RTR or kit running gear, that's an ideal railway vehicle on which to try out scratchbuilding in plasticard.

Building the running gear from plasticard is much more demanding, and is difficult to make as robust as the equivalent built from plastic moulded kits or from etched and/or cast metal parts.

Jburr5085

Postby Jburr5085 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:58 pm

I've brought wheels and couplings.What does RTR stand for?

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:55 pm

RTR = ready to run, I.e. usable straight out of the box.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Jburr5085

Postby Jburr5085 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:00 pm

I knew I would kick myself when I found out. :?

Jburr5085

Postby Jburr5085 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:02 pm

I've just read about needing ball bearings by the wheels and I'm just wondering if it's required.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Perhaps the reference is to axle bearing cups - see bottom of page 4 of:

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/catalogue.pdf

These are of course not the only ones on the market.

The wheels have axles that run in the axle-boxes (you will certainly need these) and axle bearing cups are generally for insertion into plastic axle-boxes so that metal axles won't ruin the axle-boxes, and they also make for better running.

If you can make it to the Warley Exhibition at the NEC next weekend you would be able to talk to demonstrators of scratch-building about what is involved - I'd certainly recommend it!

Jburr5085

Postby Jburr5085 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Are there any videos about scratch building wagons the world wide web refuses to yield anything for me.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:48 pm

If you obtain some brass bearing cups it's not difficult to make a rolling chassis from plasticard, what is more difficult to make is a good representation of the axlebox and springs into which the bearing must go. Study an upturned Bachmann or Dapol wagon to see which bits are functional and which are decorative. Be careful with Hornby as some of their older designs are far removed from the prototype construction.
However as Hattons stock Dapol wagon chassis with wheels and couplings, unless you are a very skilled modeller you will be hard pressed to make one as good. Whichever you use the RTR wagon which you buy will have a steel ballast weight concealed between the chassis and the wagon floor. Without adding a similar weight to your model it will be liable to jump off the rails when pushed by a loco.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Jburr5085

Postby Jburr5085 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:00 pm

I learnt about needing weights from building kits and Iv'e taken to slipping 2ps in where I can. As for the buffers, axle box, and springs I brought them. I managed to build a body but I have become stuck on building the under frame. I just don't know where to start. :?:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Apart from the couplings what you can see under an upturned wagon are four axleboxes mounted on a representation of the W irons and the brake gear which is purely decorative. In place of the W irons of the prototype, you will need 4 triangular pieces of plastic with the points chopped off. These will need a hole drilled in each to take the wheel bearings. They will then need to be firmly attached to the underside of the floor, so that the bearings are all at the same height, so that the axles will be parallel and square. You may need to make the channel sections which run along the edges of the floor a little wider than prototype so that they help support the triangular pieces. If you can get that to hold the wheels and roll, add cosmetic springs made from narrow strips of plastic curved around a bottle or can of suitable diameter. The axle boxes can be built up from square of thick plastic card, drilled through to clear the bearing cups, appart from the top layer. The brake gear will need to be built up from plastic strip and rod. I think there are few people working in 00 who would make their own chassis if there's a suitable one available. I've built rudimentary bogies from plasticard but purely to try a design, before buying a secondhand coach as a donor.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

I'd look at having the solebar and W irons as one piece of plastic, with layers stuck on top to give it relief. Funnily enough, the extensive silhouette cutter thread on RMWeb might be helpful. I'm sure I remember reading through it some time ago and came across someone scratch building wagon underframes in plasticard. They were of course using the cutter but the technique and principles will b exactly the same, you'll just be cutting it out by hand! Sorry I can't be more specific, but as a non-member there I don't have a search function to use! Well worth a read anyway, lots of things that can be taken on board by the ambitious hand-cut scratchbuilder as well as ones that own the electronic cutter.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

allan

Postby allan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:14 am

Dont try to run before you can walk! Learn to build wagons from kits, first, and do make sure that you begin with good, easy kits - the folk here will make recommendations, I'm sure.

Building a good kit is little different from scratchbuilding, except that someone who knows what is required has packed all of the parts that you will need, and instructions on how to put them all together.

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:08 am

allan wrote:Dont try to run before you can walk! Learn to build wagons from kits, first, and do make sure that you begin with good, easy kits - the folk here will make recommendations, I'm sure.

I liked doing some of the Powsides kits. They are a mixture of other makes with sides that Powsides have painted for you. You sometimes have to wait a couple of weeks before dispatch, which makes me think that they paint them to order, but apart from that I am not aware of any customer service issues.

You still need some paints, but the difficult bits are done for you. You will also need some wheels (Bachmann, Hornby, Dapol or Romford for example) and some brass bearings. You might also think about how to attach NEM pockets. (I glued on Dapol ones, but there are, I understand, easier and better options.)

http://www.powsides.co.uk/

Jburr5085

Postby Jburr5085 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:54 pm

I quite enjoy building kits which is why I thought I might try scratch building.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”