No Wonder I hate Painting !!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Dad-1

No Wonder I hate Painting !!

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:42 am

Uhhhh ........
Humbrol enamels have been my paint of choice since ... I forget, sometime in the 1950's or 60's
Although the original Airfix paints were quite good I recall.
Nowadays Humbrol is just rubbish. I opened a new tin yesterday and it was sludge unuseable as
with so many of their new tinlets.
More to finish this later must run to get a bus !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

GWR_fan

Re: No Wonder I hate Painting !!

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:57 am

Geoff,
a few days ago I opened about twenty tins of Humbrol and while they were 'sludgy' I was able to stir the contents back into life. These must be nearly thirty odd year old. They were mostly matte earth/foliage type colours.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:12 am

Agree, thorough stirring is needed, just shaking the tin doesn't do it.

Just thought. When they were made in China, they were pretty awful. Production is now back in the UK I believe and quality is better.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Humbrol has been my paint of choice since the 50s too. Stirring 40 year old paint is not a problem, but when trying to stirr up new tins that were filled with sludge I have not been successful either. The quality of the new paint is simply not the same!
Carpe Diem!

Hornchurch

Postby Hornchurch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Dad-1 wrote:
Uhhhh ........
Humbrol enamels have been my paint of choice since ... I forget, sometime in the 1950's or 60's

Nowadays Humbrol is just rubbish.
I opened a new tin yesterday and it was sludge unuseable as with so many of their new tinlets.

Geoff T.
'

As an Ex-IPMS modeller myself, I can empathise with you.

My mate Gary.V, was almost 'bursting a blood vessel' about how poor & "$h!T£" Humbrol paint is thesedays !

Whilst it's easy for me to say & remark (as I have a huge/massive stash of unopened 'old' Marfleet tinlets).... may I suggest that (in future times), that you might even consider or contemplate buying some of the 'older stocks' that tend to appear quite frequently on the (obvious) inevitable & well-known internet auction website, which rhymes with "Leeway".

As long as you know the 'type' & style of tinlets (aka "packaging"), or they have the ol' "Marfleet" marker on the side, they should be ok PROVIDED THEY ARE & REMAIN UNOPENED !!!!!!!

I say this, as it was the late Ted Taylor who taught me to spray-paint (using a Badger-200), as I would see him on Monday-nights.

http://tedtaylor.hobbyvista.com/ http://tedtaylor.hobbyvista.com/14-trum ... ge-14.html

It came up in deep-conversation about "Old Humbrol Paints" when I mentioned that I'd painted an Airfix Catalina in the "Temperate Sea Scheme" back in 1976, using Humbrol Authentics & he then mentioned... "Do you have any more old tinlets that are unopened ?"

Then I laughed & told him that me & mate/Steve had virtually "cleared-out" Romford Beatties of their "RiKo have gone bust & our chain are about to collapse" stock, he said "They'll keep for years & years. Decades in fact.... provided they remain unopened".

When I expressed skepticism he told me that some (quite a few) of his (back then, well-known & featured kits), were sprayed-up & painted with "At least 30 year old" tinlets of Humbrol, I was absolutely stunned.

Of course, as the lads have said, it DOES need to be stirred & the pigment "re-agitated" again & may take some patience.

But since then, I've found his advice to've proven true ~ (which, if I'm being honest STILL surprises me !)

Haven't made a kit in donkey's-years (Divorce, Lazyness, etc), & whilst this would hardly win any comp's, it did turn out alright, USING 20+ YEAR OLD HUMBROL PAINTS !

ImageMy RCAF Matchbox kit by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

The standard Bomber-Command upper camouflage, 'Dk.Earth//Dk.Green' is/was the 20+ year old stuff, just given a stir :wink:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:22 pm

I have a stock of old Humbrol tinlets which are ok for brushing once well stirred. To speed up the process I use a freebie mini drill from Maplin, for drilling it's worth every penny I paid for it, but with a 2" cardboard disc as a splatter guard, on a bent paperclip "paddle" 30 seconds stirring seems to do the trick. The Matting agent used to be french chalk and it's possible to blend your own matt version of the gloss enamels by sieving the chalk through a cloth bag and stirring for a very long time. Don't try to spray it though.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 pm

I used to keep some smaller sized ball-bearings, and drop them in a tin.
They did help with the mixing if you were a shaker.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:31 pm

I agree the tinlets take a heck of a lot of stirring to get that sludge broken up. I have since switched to tamiya paints though.
All Aboooooard !!

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:30 pm

When I use the Humbrol tinlets, I stand them in hot water for five or ten minutes, then shake the **** out of them, then stir really well. This seems to bring them back to a nice consistency for brushing and I presume, spraying if you thin them properly.
Pete.

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 am

I use diluted Humbrol matt enamels for priming wargames figures (either black or white, depending upon the figures). In the last couple of years I have noticed that that Humbrol matt black is no longer matt. (It used to be.) That isn't important if you will be covering it with a load of acrylic paint, or, for the model railway, a wagon chassis and wheels. On the other hand, I would be extremely disappointed if I painted the smoke-box of a locomotive and it didn't turn out matt.

With regard to their acrylic paints, I have just one word. The word is "avoid". I used to use their flesh colour, which gave the best colour for North European army (or passenger and railway employee) flesh. :(

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 am

Shiny matt black, or any other colour, is usually down to the flatting agent having congealed at the bottom of the tin. It can be so hard that you think that it's actually the base of the tin and needs poking with a screwdriver tip or similar to get mixing started. Once it's properly mixed Airfix 33 really is a good matt black, just a pain to get it mixed.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:49 am

For those who have never tried one, an ultrasonic bath is a superb tool for reblending paint in tinlets. Once tried, there is no substitute.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi Guys I'm back - I walked so much yesterday that I have a blister on one foot. Funny thing the wife
didn't have any problems walking around shops, then back to double check and make the occasional
purchase. Cost me lunch out as well, still I collected a few Revell paints, fingers crossed !!

As to my probably 30 year old paints, yes the pigments sink and separate as they should in a decent
quality paint. Stirring, lots of stirring is needed, but when the stirrer - I always use a dedicated for the
job small screwdriver - comes up without any signs of deposit on the end it's about right. I usually stir
for around 4 minutes and my small screwdriver has a ridge worn in the shaft where it runs around the
tinlet rim !!

Yes Hornchurch I knew Ted Taylor well, did you know the late Edgar Brooks ? I did manage a couple of
certificates from the IPMS Nationals, even once won the Bomber Command Trophy, that one year it was
held at Peterborough. When we put on displays at the IPMS (Deutschland) exhibitions, Gatow, Berlin, We
had Paul Reagan travel with us, the Aerobatic Display Teams SIG and the Bomber Command SIG. Both of
which I was the founding member, I even had a Vacform model on the ADT SIG stand last year !!

I've decided it's no good complaining on-line, I can't now post any paints back to them because of silly
P.O. restrictions. My next step will be to write to the new M.D. of Hornby Hobbies, it's one of their
group of companies and slowly going down the drain IF anyone is interested HE should be ??

At least being in the mid 70's I only need to keep painting for about 10 years, by then I shall be past it !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi hornchurch,

Thought I'd add this for you. An example of a Aerobatic Display Teams exhibition table.
This was the centre piece of one of our trips to the IPMS Scottish Nationals, be blowed
if I can recall which year.
I shows the range of colours we used and believe me we know crap paint when we had
some !!

Geoff T.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:59 pm

One thing that did improve my paint finishes was buying a proper paint stirring tool. I previously used old nails and matchsticks which never really mixed up the paint properly. I now have the Expo 70800 Paint Stirring Tool which is a lot more effective, it also opens the tins :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”