Layout Plans of Stations

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
fholred

Layout Plans of Stations

Postby fholred » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:50 pm

IS there anywhere on the internet where we can layout plans of stations, specifically i'm after Scunthorpe and sheffield?

Roger (RJ)

Re: Layout Plans of Stations

Postby Roger (RJ) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:32 pm

fholred

Postby fholred » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:10 pm

That looks great, but it doesn't have the 2 stations I'm looking for

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:25 pm

old-maps.co.uk. Look for the 1:1250 and 1:2500 series, although there is also a Victorian 1:500 town plan on there for Sheffield. They' are usually reasonably accurate and include a lot of ancillary equipment such as signal posts etc, but they are drawn by cartographers not railway engineers who may miss the subtle differences between diamond crossings and slips for example. They also don't show track under canopies so half of platforms 3 and 4 at Sheffield aren't shown.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

TheObserver

Postby TheObserver » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 pm

fholred wrote:IS there anywhere on the internet where we can layout plans of stations, specifically i'm after Scunthorpe and sheffield?

You haven't stated if you want recent or archived maps, if all else fails you could try the archive of Ordnance Survey maps held by The National Library of Scotland:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=6&lat ... &point=0,0

There are maps from the mid 1800's up to the late 1940's/ early 1950's zoom into where you want to view then select 25inch or second choice 6inch then from the right hand column choose the map you think best fits what you want.
Regards, John, TheObserver,
Swansea, south west Wales, UK.
Our local club website:
http://www.srmg.org.uk

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:28 am

If they are local to you it is often worth abandoning the internet and trying the local reference library or archive centre. They frequently have the large scale street plans and will copy sections for you. Being in Stratford ours is in the Shakespeare Centre. The track layout of the now totally erazed Race Course station is shown in full detail.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”