Preowned windfalls

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
End2end

Re: Preowned windfalls

Postby End2end » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:25 pm

Good old charity shops. :D
I'm not an avid magazine buyer (unless theres a useful free gift :lol: ) but I just bought September's and October's Hornby magazine for 25p EACH. with the front cover still attached :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:19 pm

My most recent windfall was five Slater's 00 GWR coach kits unstarted in the packets...... £40 not each as they should have been but for the whole lot..... I knew full well what I was buying.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Think I got a bargain on Ebay yesterday, Dapol 12 wheel Restaurant car (boxed) for £10.50! Was amazed that bidding stopped there. :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:26 pm

I have not posted here in a while as I decided not to buy post-1948 models, however, this non-runner appealed to me. It was a Hornby class 87 "King Arthur" in INTERCITY livery mint body fitted to a Lima chassis. Described as a non-runner I thought why not give it a go. Cost me all of $40.00 landed in Oz.

A quick internal showed the right rail wire connection severed from the motor bogie. Also noted a lot of wires internally (bit of a rat's nest) plus high intensity lighting each end. The wire was duly soldered on and the wheels cleaned and the loco tested. Ran perfectly with motor bogie leading, however, with the non-powered bogie leading at approximately half throttle the loco had a tendency to move about a loco length, stall then move then stall. At other power settings the loco was fine.

I thought maybe all the wiring internally was too much for just lighting at either end so hooked up DCC. Sure enough the loco ran perfectly in both directions with the headlighting responding to the input. Only downside is the lighting is non-directional, being illuminated both ends irrespective of direction.

Not bad, a decoder fitted loco for $40.00 Aud including airmail postage..

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:54 pm

Went on Howes to get some parts to detail an old Lima class 20 I'd picked up at my local model shop for next to nowt. Couldn't say no to a Heljan 02 Tango for £65 when I was there so....... it cost me £75 instead of £8.50 LOL!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 am

I think we have all been there! At one time when I worked on the railway I'd buy two or three locos a month. Back then though, new loco prices were far more reasonable compared to inflation. They seemed to suddenly double around 2008-2010 and then almost double again from then to now. About half of one of those doubles in price was down to extra detailing though some locos used to have this with hardly any extra cost (Usually about 10%) for quite some time prior to the price hikes. For example, Bachmann introduced the class 46 with central drive and an impressive motor and impressive detailing for £46 when Lima and Hornby locos were around £40. Back then £6 would buy a new wagon.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Model Rail February 2018 and BRM March 2018 (with dvd of Pendon) for the princely sum of £4.13 including postage, read once from the bay.
That's cheaper than ONE magazine off the shelf. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:13 am

Having a liking for the Lord Nelson class and definitely not paying GBP160.00 upwards for a Hornby model, I opted for two Bachmann 31-409, "Sir John Hawkins". I already had purchased an example several years earlier new for $159.00 Aud and did like the loco. Thinking a spare would be nice I perused the favourite "pre-owned bargains" site on that store and saw for GBP42.00 an as new model with the tender draw pin broken. I have yet to see a new Lord Nelson that does not have the pin broken off. A simple replacement by drilling and inserting a metal drawpin. Loco ran as well as my previously purchased model.

Capitalising on two post for little more than one, there was another 31-409 that had valve gear damage for GBP34.00. I snapped that up. They arrived this morning. It also had a broken drawbar pin and like the other loco was otherwise in mint condition. Yes, the valve gear had separated between the rod connected to the centre driving wheel and the expansion link.

That did not take too long to fix. I removed the chassis for access and inserted a brass pin from behind the expansion link pointing outward. The rod was placed over the pin and copper wire (previously wound several times around a similar sized pin) was inserted over the end of the pin snug up against the rod. The assembly was then soldered and a Dremel cut off wheel tidied up the job. The copper wire was needed to act as a "washer" to stop the pin moving inward and also to have something to solder to the brass pivot pin.

With a quick lube of the flywheel drive worm the loco ran superbly. I had intended to onsell the body and tender and keep the third chassis for a spare for the spare to recoup my cost (one British eBayer wants $75.00 just for the loco body and almost as much for the tender), however, I am reluctant now to rid myself of the third loco. Basically, with a little work I have two as new late release Lord Nelson class locomotives for around $130.00.

I do not think there are too many of these bargains still available.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 am

I will beg to slightly disagree, following an encounter last week. A large collection of model railway goods from a deceased estate. All unused, every single piece, the last item purchased one of Hornby's new bigguns. (We quickly cancelled the 17 outstanding orders!) Some retailers estimate that well over half their customers rarely if ever actually run their purchases.

I reckon there is a tsunami of good as new OO s/h out there, to be released onto the market over the next twenty years or so.

Postby 4472 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:02 pm

I once knew a guy who only collected locomotives. He had cases around the walls filled with them in all different sizes from n to oo. He had no interest in layouts.
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm

For some reason I always feel a little uneasy buying from a deceased estate. When I purchase from a well known store I have no idea of the provenance of the purchase so it does not even come into question. Last year a Western Australian seller had picked up an extremely large estate of basically new, never removed from the box items and as the prices were so attractive on some of the items offered I did partake in the feeding frenzy, ever mindful that some poor soul had previously owned the items, but hoped that he did derive pleasure from them while in his tenure.

I have not taken advantage of Hattons current new stock sell out, ever mindful that some of the items are merely once firesale items that have received a price increase for the sale. No real bargains to be had there.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Mountain wrote:They seemed to suddenly double around 2008-2010 and then almost double again from then to now.

I only returned to the fold in December 2008, so didn't notice the price variation from earlier that decade. Around that time however, the impact of the prolonged GFC of 2007 had well and truly impacted. A certain geared for ecommerce online reseller made it possible for a worldwide consumer to take advantage of prevailing market conditions, so that wagon, coach and loco bargains abounded over the period 2009~2010 especially, gradually tailing off as surplus stock liquidated exhausted and production adapted to the slowdown. e.g.

Bachmann Mk 1 lit Pullman coaches for just £25 inc VAT!
    Bachmann BR ex-GWR Toad or ex-LNER 16ton Brake Vans for £8.50 inc
    Bachmann Class 20s for just £44inc
    I picked up a decoder fitted Bachmann Class 24 in BR blue unboxed from a new set as H were wont to do for wait for it ....just £25 inc VAT! Just wow! And she is still a fine runner.

Loads of discounted Hornby train packs were bought during those years, and even locally taking advantage of clearance sales, half a dozen rebuilt West Country & Battle of Britain for around £70inc ea. Best pickup ever rivelling that class 24 bargain was Hornby's then recently released DCC Ready high detail Class 08 in BR green with wasp stripes for just £42inc!

With the benefit now of hindsight, biggest £££ regret was the decision to defer and not buy Bachmann's MIdland Pullman train pack in Nanking Blue for £300 back when that opportunity presented. I had splurged way over budget on bargains that year and had to choose between Hornby's 1934 liveried Brighton Belle train pack with the three named trailer cars sold singly or the Pullman. With SR being my focus, and 30's pre Nationalisation era my especial interest, the Belle being most probable to be actually used on my layout with frequency rather than lament in a box or on display indefinitely won the 'which to buy?' triage. If it'd been an extra £50~ 100, perhaps I'd have had a 'just press the buy button and worry about the bill later' moment of madness and just lashed out on both, but at £300 I couldn't stretch the budget any further at that time. One can't have everything, ... try as one might. Quite the first world 'dilemma' of this epoch. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Observing prices as having doubled since would be being generous.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:15 am

With the new chairman at Hornby we can be sure that the firesales of the past are now extinct. Production will be just less than demand thus ensuring prices remain "healthy", not for us but for the company.

Yes, post GFC was a heyday of bargains and special deals. Like Keiron I also spent somewhat wildly on Hornby trainpacks as they were in the main a bargain.

Personally, I baulk at paying over around GBP80.00 for a loco and around GBP25.00 for a coach. A piece of rolling stock around GBP10.00. Thus all the new releases pass me by. I would rather look to the bargain bins and see what crops up. I am in no hurry and do not need the latest and greatest, although some items like the new teak Thompson coaches from Bachmann and some of the Oxford Rails goods rolling stock are appealing.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:26 am

Yes, those days are now fading even in memory Tim. Bachmann prices today are simply scary, and Hornby has decided to play the same game. Unless its collector insanity, there must be plenty of new blood entering the hobby buying at those prices, because my total spend on Hornby or Bachmann model rail has diminished to only really, REALLY, REALLY lusted after items because of a perception of poor value.

Unlike Tim, I'm a new in box consumer only. Without being able to sight and inspect second hand goods offered online prior to purchase, they're of zero temptation to me.

Other than Hornby and third party spares for duff engineered Hornby locos (T9 anyone & M7) from Peters Spares, or accessories such as coach and wagon wheels, and non Hornby Scaledale nor Bachmann Scenecraft scenic kits 'n bits, a singular loco in an Hornby air smoothed Merchant Navy "Royal Mail" and a complete rake incl Brake Parlour Thirds x2 of those initial release Hornby K-Type Pullmans operated by the LNER during the glamour express days pre-nationalisation were my only and most recent purchases from the brand, and those coach purchases were in early 2016, so someone else must be buying and paying current new coach and loco prices, because I'm certainly not. I haven't lost interest. I have lost any incentive to buy anything but their annual print catalogue at current prices.

I do have my eye out for a Bachmann 16ton fitted brake van in early BR bauxite livery if one comes up at the right price in as new condition as I can't reconcile myself to paying Bachmann's current asking for new when they are ever more rarely released. So far, the sellers I've seen touting 'pre-owned' offerings are either dreamers or delusional.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:59 am

Keiron,
my biggest money saver was a relatively recent decision limiting my purchases to only GWR (within reason). If something nice turns up (read cheap) in another rail period then I am tempted. Now when I peruse the pre-owned bargains listings I simply skip over anything non-GWR so little to tempt me these days. I was tempted by a GWR Dukedog but really cannot justify the money. I have a pre-owned DCC ready Bachmann Hall and dreaded split chassis Manor class enroute so will content myself with getting them running well.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”