Preowned windfalls

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

Preowned windfalls

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:55 am

I am still pinching myself over several recent bargain preowned buys from a well known Liverpool dealer. The items arrived today and while I was a little concerned purchasing the items due the item description, I took a chance and all four locomotives were excellent with two Hornby A3 in new condition.

Hornby R3250, A3 LNER green "Flying Scotsman" 1984, "Royal Duties", cost me GBP55.00 including international airmail postage. One front step to be fitted, otherwise as new condition. Runs perfectly.

Hornby R3336, A3 LNER green representing "Flying Scotsman"'s return to steam in 2004 and cost me GBP60.00 including international airmail postage. This model was released last year. Missing one front step, otherwise in new condition and runs perfectly.

Hornby R313, A4 LNER green, "Golden Eagle" in excellent condition, cost me GBP25.00 including postage. The item was described incorrectly on the site as a Hornby Hall class, "Hagley Hall" but incorrectly had the photographs of the A4. When I questioned the apparent mistake the stores help desk assistant replied immediately confirming that yes a mistake in pricing had occurred but if I purchased it immediately I would get the A4 at the listed price. Whoever had originally listed the loco had priced it as an old Hall class as both the Hall and the A4 carry the same Hornby part number, R313.

Lima class 73 in Southwest Trains livery, "Battle of Britain 50th Anniversary", cost me GBP18.00 including postage. This was listed as a non-runner, otherwise in mint condition. The fix was simple in that a previous owner had removed the motor block and reassembled 180 degrees rotation incorrect. This meant that power was only being picked up front and rear on one side only (the same side). A few minutes work and the loco runs well.

theustrainman

Re: Preowned windfalls

Postby theustrainman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 pm

Are you going to paint them all green and decal for GWR?
:lol:
Seriously though, its surprising what you can pick up. Recently off the bay I have had 20 year old locos, Brand new in box never run Fleischmann, for about the same prices. I have saved over 75% on new!
I guess they just got collected and passed from dealer to dealer then to me before they got run.

Fair play to you.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:16 am

Lately I have had some incredible bargains from the store. One mint as new current release GBP48.00 Castle class locomotive (including airmail shipping downunder) had an ESU sound decoder. It ran superbly.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:24 am

The s/h retailer won't have the ability to inspect in detail what they are selling on, and will rely I should think on the previous owner's description. Very pot luck; just remember the good outcomes when you get a bad one?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Bigmet,
to date any of the non-runners have been easy fixes taking just a few minutes to get running. I factor in the cost of the item with the intention that it will be a dummy locomotive if unable to fix so anything more is a bonus. If they state gears slipping, valve damage or poor runner then I avoid as the cost of replacement parts makes the deal uneconomical to me.

Sometimes though I think that the person setting the prices has a spinning dartboard and charges prices where the dart falls as some prices are good and yet others are ridiculously high. I have seen enough of the hobby to know the value of an item and have seen many listed items that make you laugh. Along with that is an increase in the number of mistakes on the site with late model part numbers and photographs showing an early (Margate made) model, as well as the item description having nothing to do with the photographs shown. I feel that the pre-owned site is administered by an inexperienced staff member.

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:00 pm

Just received two J94s from Liverpool pre owned dept, boxes slightly crumpled and scuffed, but I don't want boxes!
Both are locos in pristine body condition, complete with crew, but when I turned them both upside down, the wheels had a coating of gunge .5 mm thick!
First thoughts lack of maintenance - wheels never cleaned - never lubricated all moving parts dry.
Two hrs later many buddies and a cap full of IPA + elbow grease the wheels were clean, why do people pay good money for a loco and then abuse it?
A spot or two of oil, a touch with a 9v battery and they both ran as smooth as a nut.
A couple of decoders to fit them and they will be ready for the new sidings I have just laid.
Tim
aka Forfarian

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 pm

you might find it was the muck applied in the factory by Hornby, i have had at least two Hornby J94's which looked like it was leaking out the bottom it had so much applied!

railsquid

Postby railsquid » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:18 am

If you know what you're looking for, there's some good stuff to be had from there. I was very happy to find a Dapol Class 86 in the hard-to-get Intercity livery sold as a "non-runner", a few minutes poking about inside revealed a piece of lint short-circuiting the DCC blanking plate somehow, once removed was as good as new.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Another pre-owned Liverpool bargain. I purchased a mint non-runner Lima split headcode class 37 in BR late crest, costing me just on $30.00 including airmail delivery. On arrival the locomotive looked in mint condition and possibly unused. A few seconds later the body was removed and the cause was immediately obvious, the wire to the non-driven brass power pickup was adrift.

Surprisingly, there was no evidence of solder on the brass clip. Could the locomotive have been originally assembled at the factory and the assembly line worker missed soldering the power wire to the bogie pickup? The loco looked mint unused so could this have come from the factory in this condition? This is an early model, possibly from the 1980's.

Locomotive was then test run with no fault, running smoothly and quietly.

Edit: now enhanced with additional power pickups.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 am

Quite possible that soldering was missed. In general the wiring of Lima OO looks like random factory floor sweepings, with decidedly 'unspecial' workmanship. Comparison to what the Lima group were achieving in their contemporary HO brands, shows the OO product to be very much a third class product.

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:03 pm

A few weeks ago I might have shared Bigmet's opinion of Lima wiring but having tried other more robust conductors on my 'rescue' projects I think there is something to be said for the ultra fine wiring used by that manufacturer. It is pliable, a useful attribute in the tight confines of, say, the prairie. The trouble is, its advantages are cancelled out by the quality of the soldered connections, which are to say the least, hyper-delicate. Still, the absence of any sign of soldering in GWR_fan's loco is something of a mystery. But then again, he does have a bargain!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:10 pm

About two weeks ago a mint Lima class 37 red stripe Railfreight livery arrived from the same store. Described as a non-runner and just over $30.00 including airmail postage. I have no idea what was actually wrong with the locomotive as when received I simply dismantled the non driven bogie to clean it up and then did a service and the loco ran perfectly.

I have received over a dozen supposed non-runners from the store and either no issue at all or a very minor, easily corrected problem. I am not complaining just thankful for some excellent deals.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 am

I decided to chance another pre-owned bargain tonight. The store listed a non-runner Malachite green Bachmann Southern N class from the latest Thanet Flyer train set. All up cost GBP40.00 including airmail shipping. It will not arrive until after Christmas and then I can see what needs to be done. I may just hard wire the pickups to the motor as I cannot see any wires to the tender. The unit is a six-pin install. Fingers crossed.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 am

I took a chance on a non-runner Mallard from the "Flight of the Mallard" trainset. Item described as motor loose inside chassis. The locomotive cost me GBP38.00 including airmail postage. I purchased the loco purely for the tender to attach to another model.

The loco arrived today and apart from the stated defect it was brand new. I had thought that maybe new motor mounts would be needed but all that was wrong was that the screw attaching the rear motor mount to the chassis had gone AWOL. It took me longer to find a replacement screw than to fix the problem. The drive ran superbly.

The tender just needed the pickup polarity changed to mate up with a super detail "Mallard" locomotive (R2339) that I had previously purchased cheaply from the store minus its tender. I could sell the newly arrived Mallard drive and body and make a profit but I think that I will retain the drive as a spare.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:28 pm

The non-runner "The Thanet Flyer" N class arrived this morning, Christmas Eve and sure enough it did not run. The locomotive was brand new and obviously a non-runner from new. It only took two minutes to disassemble and suss the problem as the six pin DC adaptor had dislodged from the chassis. Reinserted the adaptor and now runs like the proverbial Swiss watch. Another Hattons 'non-runner' bargain bin buy.

Santa was kind to me this Christmas.
Attachments
maliv.JPG
maliv.JPG (67.92 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”