80s Hornby motor gears question

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Boxcar Willie

80s Hornby motor gears question

Postby Boxcar Willie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:23 pm

Greetings to one and all and a happy St. Patrick's Day begorrah, bejabbers, bejayzus etc.

I have recently discovered an old Hornby Class 37 that I'd forgotten about. It's got a horrible paint job so I'm going to replace the body with a new one and do the usual detailing job - roof fan, flush glazing and so on. Nothing out of the ordinary but a bit of fun to keep me out of the pub and in the kitchen for a few hours where Mrs. Boxcar can keep an eye on me. Anyway the trouble I've been having is as follows. The motor is the usual ring field type (R317-070) and runs flawlessly. The plastic gears, however, are pretty much shot and are about as worn out as a politician's insistence that the economy is recovering. I tried some replacement gears but they're the wrong ones - I went on Fleabay and got a set (X9245) which turned out to be no good at all, at all.They fit ok but they're a completely different diameter to the old ones. This has caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the Boxcar household as I have become even crankier than usual. The cat has decamped to the shed.

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could shed some light on my quandary and point me in the direction of the correct replacement gears. Thank you and if you don't mind it's nearly Guinness time. It's always nearly Guinness time even if you're already having some Guinness. Then it's nearly time for another.

bob hughes60

Re: 80s Hornby motor gears question

Postby bob hughes60 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:27 am

can you give us some more info? Class 37s have been released over a long period of time.
It is possible that the ringfield motor may have changed.
Unless it has been renumbered the engine number should help locate it here:-

http://www.hornbyguide.com/search_item_results.asp

With 3 pole ringfield motors the top gears are 40/10 ratio but the lower gears can be of three types. 33, 28 and 36 teeth.
Withe 5 pole motors spares are more difficult.
I have hornby spare sheets for models and motors i.e. 92A and 105.
The plastic gears should have a S(spare) no. stamped on them either facing away from or towards the motor unit.
You may have to remove the gear retainer to check.
I do keep spares if you are stuck.
Some more info should enable us to pin it down exactly for you.
Bob Hughes

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:28 pm

I just had a quick measure of the offending components - the large gear is 40/10 ratio and its outer diameter is 20mm; the diameter of the small inner gear with the ten teeth on it is 5.8mm. The smaller gear has 30 teeth and a diameter of 15.6mm.

The teeth that are doing the louder gnashing are my own.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Boxcar Willie wrote:.................. the diameter of the small inner gear with the ten teeth on it is 5.8mm. ................

Ten tooth pinion drive gear infers a five-pole motor, so later release. The three-pole pinion gear has eleven teeth.

Edit: as an afterthought, Hornby used the same bogie drive on the 47 class as well. Perhaps try this avenue for spares.

bob hughes60

Postby bob hughes60 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:41 am

I am only aware of the following hornby gears for 3 pole motors (excluding the 36 teeth which is on an 8F):-

S8313 is the 40/10 driving/reducing gear this should have a number 1 printed on it. (GWR_fan this is not the 11teeth or 10 teeth metal pinion gear)
S9633 is the 33 teeth gear which has a number 1 and 33T printed on it.
S8313 is the 28teeth gear which has a number 2 and 28T printed on it

I do not know of a 30tooth gear???
If you have the model number i.e. the R number of your model I will check against the service sheet to be sure.

There are a number of sellers of these on Ebay notably Marionsgirl and Peter's spares for example.
Cheers
Bob Hughes

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:00 pm

I have the number of the motor - R317 - 070 but not for the model as it's been obscured under several coats of paint. The large gear with the reducing gear has the number 2 on it; the smaller gears have no number at all. I'll have a poke around my Class 47s - I think i have one that doesn't run too well and I might be able to cannibalise it for bits.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”