GWR recommendations?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
trainlover23

Re: GWR recommendations?

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:58 pm

GWR_fan wrote:The Hornby Grange is on a par with the Castle for quality, but alas the last release was 2007. The originator did ask for an 'express' locomotive. I do not think that the Grange and Hall really fall in this category although no doubt they did stand in numerous times for such duties.

I would consider a recently released Bachmann Hall in favour of the similarly priced Hornby 'design clever' Hall release.

Actually Halls and Granges were mixed traffic locos that were more than capable of hauling express passenger trains. Don`t for get the County class another popular loco with crews.

Was`nt there a Hornby Grange released last year ?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:42 pm

trainlover23 wrote:..............................................Was`nt there a Hornby Grange released last year ?

R3209 "Bucklebury Grange" was released, however, in BR late crest and not really fulfilling the GWR wishes of the original posting.

Fife

Postby Fife » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:52 am

Thanks a ton for the answers, I think it would be prudent going for one of the mixed traffic locomotives.

The 28xx is pretty flash, but would be a later purchase, I've got a limited budget and am after a skeleton stable for starters, it might come in eventually at locomotive 3 or 4; one of the reasons why I want the best looking models within reason, pay a bit extra so as to be completely confident in buying the most perv-worthy locomotive as it will have to keep me satisfied for a long time until the next new toy.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:51 am

Definitely buy the best you can from the identified 'most suitable' types for your modelling intent.

It's worth researching what you should have on the list. That way if something that is a 'definite' unexpectedly becomes available - perhaps s/h - at a good price, you can check it over and if it is good, buy it at a saving. I must have saved a fortune this way over the years (compared to buying at normal retail price) and it is surprising how quickly well planned modest spends only on good quality items needed for the model, add up to a very satisfying model railway operation.

I have models now near fifty years old, still as good as when purchased, and fit to be seen with the latest and best models. It's an approach that works everywhere in life: Buy cheap, buy often; buy quality, obtain long term service.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:52 pm

Fife wrote:.................................The 28xx is pretty flash, but would be a later purchase, I've got a limited budget and am after a skeleton stable for starters, ......

Yes, the 28XX (plus the later 38XX) are nice models, although do be careful as the 28XX is a popular model and older ringfield models are still selling on the usual eBay dealer's sites for almost what a later loco drive model will sell for. I personally find the super detail loco drive 28XX to be a very fragile locomotive as regards handling. I have not broken anything but it is like handling a thin shelled egg as one needs to be very careful. I like the later Chinese made tender drive (not everyone's choice) as it runs well and does not have the handling issues of the 28XX super detail loco drive model.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:06 am

The only thing to do with these finer models is carefully lift them from the box onto the rails, and leave them there. That's apart from the necessary fiddling for decoder installation, other adjustments or paint treatment/added detailing, and whatever servicing is periodically required.

(I am similarly having to be very careful around the Heljan O2. The pretty near scale rods and gear look lovely, among much other detail fit that is very well done, but an incautious finger poke will soon bend something. Not going to stop me buying more of these though; for a start it's the only game in town for the sole RTR 3 cylinder 2-8-0.)

Fife

Postby Fife » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:21 am

Bigmet wrote:the Heljan O2

A beautiful sight all that metal driving gear, no plastic ancillary parts there

Fife

Postby Fife » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:59 am

The new Hornby Kings seem to be getting rave reviews.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Keep your powder dry. There's a competitor proposed, and I don't believe the market will fully support both in the £130 or more price band. Good chance of bargains available a year or so from now; so long as you are flexible enough to accept that your favourite King Kong or King Fisher may not be available, but the somewhat less popular King Cobra and King Crimson are the ones at the best discount.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Bigmet
If you haven't the space to leave locos on the tack, or you need to lift them to in a fiddle yard perhaps the Peco loco lift is an answer. On my layout I have the "gasworks tunnel" which disappears out off one corner of the yard, it ends in a removable double ended cassette which allows a loco to be turned or taken elsewhere. I have no locos with complex gear beyond that of a Bachmann Hall and I don't foresee anything more complex or delicate, but I could soon knock up some more cassettes should the need arise.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”