OO Scale coal loads?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
LittleSkink

OO Scale coal loads?

Postby LittleSkink » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:50 pm

after quite a bit of research still cant make a choice on this, want to make 2 or 3 wagon loads and maybe have a storage bay with some coal in too

Front runner is Woodland Scenics Coarse lump coal but I have no idea how much you get or if its a bit big for OO
http://www.ehattons.com/19103/Woodland_Scenics_B93_Coal_Coarse_Lump_Coal/StockDetail.aspx

Gaugemaster do this stuff, 200gm seems a decent amount
http://www.ehattons.com/19490/Gaugemaster_Controls_GM112_Immitation_scenic_coal_200g/StockDetail.aspx

and I am sure there are others . . . thoughts?

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: OO Scale coal loads?

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:54 pm

That woodland scenics one looks a bit big to me, although I've not seen it in the flesh. If you go to your local preserved railway with a doggy bag you can usually get some there if you ask very nicely - if you go nearer the end of the day tenders/bunkers tend to be less full and the small bits at the bottom more accessible. If you can't be bothered, the gaugemaster one's not that expensive, and I've sen that used, and it looks fine, so I'd probably go for that.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Cheaper still is to make your own. One lump of coal goes a long way for wagon loads.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (190.81 KiB) Viewed 1537 times

I put the coal between some sheets of newspaper and took a hammer to it. Use the plastic coal load piece that comes with the Airfix kits or make your own with a piece of plasticard or stiff cardboard and put a layer of the real coal on top and then apply a PVA solution similar to that used for ballasting.

Paul

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:25 pm

I made a table of balsa wood (so there is a gap underneth the load for some possible extra weight AND you dont need to use as much coal/load material) and painted the top and sides, usually black for coal, lined the wagon with cling film so that it was overflowing the wagons sides, pushed the balsa table into the wagon and covered the balsa table in PVA then added my coal. This was further secured with a 50/50 PVA / water mix with a drop or 2 of washing up liquid to permiate the coal. This needs a good 2-3 days to dry. :!:
I stupidly turned over the wagon before the glue was dry and ended up spilling black coloured liquid all over the place including the outside of the wagon :?
Luckily wipe off-able...phew
I will say that this is not my method albeit slightly tweaked for my personal situation, rather, learnt right here from one of our great forum members. (Without looking back at my posts, I think it was Bufferstop :wink: )

After they were dry I just pulled on the cling film to release the load and now have removeable loads :)
I did go to the extent of also lettering the underside of each of the balsa tables so I know which wagon each load is for.
I have been considering magnets under the loads so they can easily be "emptied"...but this idea is only in my head at the moment.
EDIT... and as this idea contiues to go round my head I'm thinking................ wouldn't it be cool to have an operatable winch in my goods shed with a magnet on the end so I can REALLY empty the goods wagons :idea:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

LittleSkink

Postby LittleSkink » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:35 am

thanks folks, we have an old house with coal fires and a load of Homefire Ovals, not exactly coal but I am guessing it will bash down well enough

I will set my daughter (it is her model railway after all) on with the task of making her own loads :D

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:12 pm

I have been given a batch of small carbon granules out of an industrial air filter.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Don't forget that the modern "smokeless" coal simply turns to a powder when you try to smash it up - here in Ireland I took a trip to a village out in the sticks where I was able to get some of the untreated stuff as it's banned in urban areas. The "smoky' stuff also burns better in your fireplace.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:35 am

It's often overlooked that coal was not a single material.
Coal Merchants could have up to 7, even more, different grades.
Usually Loco coal tended to be in larger lumps, domestic was smaller
for convenient usage, but different grades at differing prices and
I well remember buying the cheaper stuff when money was a little
tighter. The cheap stuff often crackled and spat slivers out as it
was reaching combustion temperatures.

So I suppose as with most modelling you need to think what your coal
is going to be used for and if a domestic merchant a couple of visually
different grades needed.

I dug this out, visually different grades available at 'Williams'

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”