Hornby HM2000 or something else?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Oranoco

Hornby HM2000 or something else?

Postby Oranoco » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:02 am

Was considering swapping my mismatched controllers out for something a bit better and seen a few of these on ebay at OK sort of money.

What's the general consensus on them? Is there something better that won't cause my plastic to melt?

Going DCC whilst being a nice idea is just sadly not on.

Richard Lee

Re: Hornby HM2000 or something else?

Postby Richard Lee » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:18 am

Can't comment on the Hornby-made HM2000, but if you are looking for a new DC controller, I can recommend the Gaugemaster ones. I have a couple of Gaugemaster Combis, and have been very pleased with them. Quite a few model shops do them, sometimes at a cheaper price than Gaugemaster does.

By the way, Gaugemaster have a lifetime guarantee for their DC controllers. This is irrespective of where you bought it from. The only time I had a problem with one of mine, I only had to pay the postage back to Gaugemaster. They returned it quickly, fully working.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:23 am

Yep, agree with Richard, Gaugemaster controllers are very good and their lifetime guarantee means what it says, I've had the same experience as he did. Just make sure you get the right controller for your stock as they do different ones for the various scales. Just go on their website and it explains on there. My last one I bought from Hattons.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:48 am

I have a HM2000. I quite like it - it's very simple but seems to work well for what I want. It did at one point break (loose connection inside) and it can only be repaired by Hornby because the screws require a special screwdriver to open. It took Hornby 3 months to repair it but since then it has been fine.

But to be honest for £99.99 (new) I think you could get something better. Mine was second hand so was around £50.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:30 am

I always recommend choosing a controller from the Gaugemaster range because of their guarantee. Basically as long as you haven't been mucking around inside they will always repair/replace it should it go wrong. It's not just a marketing gimmick, they get to see the breakdowns, it helps in the design and build processes.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:19 am

I rarely comment on (or indeed have any thoughts on!) such technical matters but having an HM2000 and a (single track) Gaugemaster then my vote is for the latter. My G'master is ancient (and I suspect I bought it secondhand) and languished in the damp semi-outdoors for at least 10 years yet works fine. And I prefer the screw terminal connectors. If it did break I wouldn't have the cheek to invoke the guarantee, but if it were less rusty and mistreated then such service would be an added bonus!

Skimming ebay suggests maybe 10 quid more for a G'master Twin c.f. the HM2000 - worth it I reckon.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:32 am

I've owned both. Gaugemaster's build quality urinates all over Hornby's plastic box. Go for Gaugemaster is my recommendation.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:48 pm

The HM2000 is a pretty good controller. But a Gaugemaster model D is much, much better.

My HM2000 did develop a fault when it was fairly new. At that time, I contacted Hornby and they arranged postage-paid return shipping to them for repair. Got it back a few weeks later and it's been fine ever since. But Gaugemaster's warranty is for life so they win again here.

Go with Gaugemaster every time. I'd recommend the Model D as an equivalent twin-channel controller to the Hornby unit. It's compact, sturdy and they've been making it for years.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”